What's new

Best soft cream you’ve tried?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Hi all,

Just curious about this. The creams I mostly reach for are actually more like “croaps.” The only softer creams I have tried are Proraso Green and Trumper Eucris. Wondering if there are other creams that aren’t on the harder side I am missing out on.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, there are truly many wonderful performing soft creams out there. The great British immediately come to my mind, or the great Spanish. With a very few exceptions soft creams do not belong to the Italian tradition, though.

My current favourite soft creams are La Toja Classic, Proraso Red and T&H Ultimate Comfort.

Hmmmm. The creams I have tried are TOBS, Castle Forbes, St. James of London, Musgo Real, Gillette Pure, Proraso and The Body Shop. Of those I have to say when considering performance (slickness, cushion, post shave feel) and scent, I have to give the nod to Musgo Real with TOBS a very very very close second and The Body Shop a somewhat distant third. The others are average with Castle Forbes being just ridiculously overrated.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Hmmmm. The creams I have tried are TOBS, Castle Forbes, St. James of London, Musgo Real, Gillette Pure, Proraso and The Body Shop. Of those I have to say when considering performance (slickness, cushion, post shave feel) and scent, I have to give the nod to Musgo Real with TOBS a very very very close second and The Body Shop a somewhat distant third. The others are average with Castle Forbes being just ridiculously overrated.

Performance is different for everyone. In my experience, Castle Forbes compares well with some of my favorite soaps. Performs similarly to Tabac for me which works wonderfully on my skin.

difficult question!

these are my top-of-mind 'best performing' shave creams!!

3 creams.jpg

Truefitt & Hill, Cyril Salter, Geo F Trumper, D R Harris and TOBS have been great performers for me and about equal if I’m honest. The only thing that’s been different for me has been the scent options.

Palmolive is definitely worth trying and I’d also give a second vote for Musgo Real.

I have tried a few samples from the likes of Truefitt, Taylors, Salter, but a £1.00 tube of Erasmic performed as well as any of them. In some cases, (Taylors for example) it performed better.

Erasmic is a good performer for me too. I cleaned out my local chemist down the road, who was selling the tubes for £1 each. Were it not for the fact I’m a self confessed fraghead I would use it all the time.

I went on a European tube safari. Palmolive, Omega, Proraso green, Karo classic, Lea Mentolada. I also have the very soft TOBS Sandalwood in a tub.

For me, the Lea wins. Proraso second, Omega third, Palmolive also ran.

Karo and TOBS I would never buy again.

TOBS is a great brand to explore. Quality at a great price. Also, Stone Cottage Soapworks is spectacular and affordable. Great samples as well!

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Is TOBS the same formula as Trumpers? If so I’m sure I’ll like it but it might be redundant when I’m looking for something different.

I find the Maca Root & Aloe from The Body Shop a great performer at a budget price. If you like the smell it could be a winner.

Top Bottom