What's new

BEST Silver-tip Shaving Brush Brand (Price NOT considered)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Kent, but only if you like a lofty brush. If fact a BK8 might just make you a fan of a lofty brush even if you don't think you are.

And do not overlook DaVinci. Despite the Italian moniker these are Germanic and they tie their own knots. I own the 293. One of the densest brushes I have seen. I cannot speak to the old legendary brands lime Plisson and Simpson since I have never tried them. I do own a Kent made B&B 2009 Limited and buildmquality is second to none.

+1

What would you say is the BEST or some of the BEST shaving brush brands WITHOUT price being a consideration in the silver-tip categories. In the past I have used Rooney, Shavemac, and Plisson.

I would be curious to read some opinions about the BEST brushes...

It’s too late now anyway, but I am surprised how people jumped in with a recommendation without even asking the original poster what he looks for in a brush.
To state the obvious, some shavers like to have their face pampered with a soft brush, some shavers like more backbone.

The brushes that I normally use have all a noticeable amount of backbone, but I just brought two bushes out of semi-retirement that are expremely soft and I enjoy both kinds, even though the feel is quite different.

Going for “the best” shaving brush, is like walking into a liquor store and ask for “the best” Scotch.
It’s all a matter of personal preference, isn’t it? (I usually prefer Malts...)

B.

It’s too late now anyway, but I am surprised how people jumped in with a recommendation without even asking the original poster what he looks for in a brush.
To state the obvious, some shavers like to have their face pampered with a soft brush, some shavers like more backbone.

The brushes that I normally use have all a noticeable amount of backbone, but I just brought two bushes out of semi-retirement that are expremely soft and I enjoy both kinds, even though the feel is quite different.

Going for “the best” shaving brush, is like walking into a liquor store and ask for “the best” Scotch.
It’s all a matter of personal preference, isn’t it? (I usually prefer Malts...)

B.
The original post asked what you consider the best brush brand or brands to be. Not a recommended brush for the poster. What he likes doesn't affect what I consider to be the best brush brand.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I’ve tried a lot and my current favorite is Elite’s Manchurian. Second place would be tough, between Thater, Shavemac, and Kent. Back when Wiborg was making runs of brushes that were easy to buy they did some great knots too.

I have been able to use my new Shavemac Germania Silvertip 2-Band some now with Proraso green(original formula - not the formula currently in production) shaving cream. I can't say I have ever used a "better" brush. The all around performance is simply excellent. Thanks, Mullard

Thater, Shavemac, Simpson. To my tastes, Thater does a nice job matching the knot size to the loft for great flow through and softness. Shavemac lets you customize your own. Simpson's super is hard to beat if you are looking for soft fine hair in a dense knot.

Here are some photos with the new brush. Excellent performance!

Attachments

• IMG_0526 (2).JPG
    IMG_0526 (2).JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0527 (1).JPG
    IMG_0527 (1).JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0531 (1).JPG
    IMG_0531 (1).JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 41
I'd have to disagree with the comment about the Simpson "Super Badger". I have one and it's definitely NOT as high quality as most other Silver-Tips. It may technically be ST but rather like a low end ST? I didn't know there was a such a category until I got the Simpson? Now maybe there's been an up grade since then (mine is about 6 or 7 years old) but mine is definitely not as soft and as good all-around as my Omegas and Muhle, which were just advertised as "Silver Tip" badger.

I'd have to disagree with the comment about the Simpson "Super Badger". I have one and it's definitely NOT as high quality as most other Silver-Tips. It may technically be ST but rather like a low end ST? I didn't know there was a such a category until I got the Simpson? Now maybe there's been an up grade since then (mine is about 6 or 7 years old) but mine is definitely not as soft and as good all-around as my Omegas and Muhle, which were just advertised as "Silver Tip" badger.

I'm personally quite fond of the Simpsons supers but should say that my Commodore X3, once well broken in, easily rivals any Simpsons super as far as softness goes (I've only kept PJ2 on me, it's also about 7 years old).

Seems like Simpsons best is an overall better bang for buck, even though their supers as well easily rival pretty much any other brush I've tried (Lee Sabini knots excluded).

My favorites are Declaration, M&F and Shavemac.

This^^^

Declaration is making the very best brushes at the moment (in my opinion). I'm rather fond of the M&F brushes in both their 3 band and their Finest. The Shavemac 2 band (non d01 version) is exceptional as well.

I don't own any Declaration Grooming or M&F brushes, so I can't speak to their quality. Best badger brushes (some vendors don't use the term silvertip):

PantaiRei Manchurian: knots are hand tied because they are made to fit in ceramic handles.

Brad Sears 2-band Select

Paladin 2-band Select

Shavemac 2-band silvertip.

Simpson Chubby 2 in Best: The tips are softer with less scritch than my Simpson Tulip T4 Super.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Nice looking brush. I see you are also using a Gillette "red handle." That was my daily razor some years ago. A nice smooth shaving razor. I have been using the Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip Germania for a couple weeks now. Compared to my last brush which was an Art of Shaving fine badger, the Shavemac is far superior in my opinion. It holds water significantly better, rinses out easier even though it is packed much denser with hair, forms lather easier, bristles are softer yet it has more back-bone at the same time. When this brush wears out someday I will be in the market for a new brush. Until then, I believe this brush will serve its purpose well. Mullard

I might get yelled at for this but have you considered Yaqi? I know everyone mentioned the big boys, but for the price point I don’t think you can get a better silvertip. I just got their high mountain silvertip and I was shocked at the quality. The bristles were softer than my Plisson!

I ordered one of these (Shavemac TJ1). My first 'high quality' brush. I've only read positive things about Shavemac. Can't wait to see/feel what it can do.
proxy.php

Top Bottom