What's new

BEST Silver-tip Shaving Brush Brand (Price NOT considered)

What would you say is the BEST or some of the BEST shaving brush brands WITHOUT price being a consideration in the silver-tip categories. In the past I have used Rooney, Shavemac, and Plisson. I have yet to own a Simpson or Seville Row. I only use 1 brush until it is worn out and then I buy another. I am currently using an Art of Shaving pure badger brush and I am not 100% satisfied with it in comparison to other brushes I have owned in the past. I would be curious to read some opinions about the BEST brushes, not what is the best value. Thanks, Mullard

Kent, but only if you like a lofty brush. If fact a BK8 might just make you a fan of a lofty brush even if you don't think you are.

Not many many tie their own knots but rather source pre-tied knots from China; Paladin, Declaration... maybe Brad Sears?

I know Brad Sears offers brushes with knots from two different sources.

Brad Sears brushes with unspecified origin, probably Chinese, knots; and Morris & Forndran with knots that are from, I believe, Lee Sabini.

Also Saville Row to my knowledge are made by Bernd at Shavemac.

Only ones I would be confident tie their own knots would be Simpson, Thater, The Varlet and probably Shavemac, Edwin Jagger and Plisson.

I have some, not all of the aforementioned and love my 26mm Thater 2-band the most.

sorry for the ramble...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

You have the ‘usual suspects’ in this thread!!

These days I am really enjoying my Rudy Vey Shavemac 2 band from the B&B group purchase!!

And do not overlook DaVinci. Despite the Italian moniker these are Germanic and they tie their own knots. I own the 293. One of the densest brushes I have seen. I cannot speak to the old legendary brands lime Plisson and Simpson since I have never tried them. I do own a Kent made B&B 2009 Limited and buildmquality is second to none.

Thank you very much for the replies so far. I am currently leaning toward a Simpson Silvertip brush, but I will look into some of the ones mentioned above. I am not familiar with the Rudy Vey Shavemac. Is that an employee from Shavemac? I am still looking. Thanks, Mullard

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Thank you very much for the replies so far. I am currently leaning toward a Simpson Silvertip brush, but I will look into some of the ones mentioned above. I am not familiar with the Rudy Vey Shavemac. Is that an employee from Shavemac? I am still looking. Thanks, Mullard

No, I am not a Shavemac employee, I am a custom brush maker for a long time. Have made a few B&B LE brushes as well as several Groupbuys. I do use a lot of custom Shavemac knots in my brushes (as well as my own line of Manchurian two-bands). Check out my vendor thread in the vendor section.

I ended up getting a Shavemac Germania Silvertip 2-Band. Thank you for the information and replies. Mullard

I have a Shavemac, and a couple knots from The Golden Nib. I don't know where TGN sources their knots, but the ones I have are outstanding, even their boar is a notch above Omega type knots.

My first shaving brush was a Rooney silver-tip. I don't see these brushes for sale anywhere. I wonder what happened to them.

My first shaving brush was a Rooney silver-tip. I don't see these brushes for sale anywhere. I wonder what happened to them.

I've got 3 Rooney silvertips from the '09-'12 period. Great brushes but I probably still prefer my Thater 2-bands.

I have only owned one Rooney silver-tip brush and I no longer have it. It was a good brush, but it did start shedding after some years of use. I keep only 1 brush until it is time for a new brush which seems like about every 5 years.

Top Bottom