What's new

Best Shave Towel?

I am rather new to wet shaving and I have quickly decided that my ultra-soft and poofy face towels do not perform very well as a shaving towel. I generally shave at night, so I have been trying to use a hot towel to soften my beard and I have found that the aforementioned poofy towels soak up WAY too much water and do not transfer the heat to my face very well. Also, when wiping my razor off while I am shaving, it gets lost in the poof.

I was wondering what the best type of towel is to use for a shave towel. I have looked on Amazon and various other online places and there are a plethora of different types of towels. Tea towels, dish towels, spa towels, etc... I know the obvious answer is a "barber towel", but looking at those online, they appear to be pretty poofy.

I am, of course, looking for something relatively inexpensive.

Thoughts? Experiences?

-Howard

I've found that the cheap, thin, terrycloth 'rags' that they sell at Home Depot/Lowes work quite well for me. The upside is that if they get bloody, you don't feel bad about bleaching them, or chunking them after you've used them to clean the sink up one too many times.

i use a generic wash cloth. i wet my face in the shower, then shave. i only use the wash cloth to wipe the face with warm water, after shaving, leaving it wet. then i'll use the alum block, let it sit for about a minute, then wipe with cold water. finishing up with an after shave. i usually change the wash cloth after 3-4 shaves.

there's always a plan B.

I got some nice towels at Sally's Beauty Supply. They also sell Pinaud products, Barbicide, and a limited supply of DE blades.

barber supply stores sells the towels fairly cheap:

$Screenshot 2017-01-25 at 4.23.18 PM.png

strop

Now half as wise
I use what were referred to as bar rags when I got them at SAM'S. I got a big package of 36 for less than $1 a piece. Need a couple of washings to get softer and absorbent, but then are perfect. After I shave I use it to clean up the sink area, and then it gets tossed in the dirty clothes hamper.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Howard:
I wish I could be of some help, but I have three (3) shaving towels from Zazzle (because I'm a B & B Essential Boar Brush user), with a 'Beware of Wild Boars' Traffic Sign motif.
proxy.php

View attachment 612376
Although not cheap...they are a very, very durable (16in x 24in), strong, machine washable (after dying in the dryer...they never come out wrinkled), well made, very absorbent and long-lasting poly microfiber blend (80% Polyester / 20% Polyamide), product. :thumbsup:

I really love these towels (while standing and/or sitting, I happen to use them 'draped' over the face-bowl thus reducing getting the vanity-top wet and as a face towel), and am very impressed with their durability (even the Boar motif has only very slight fading...after over a year
of use).
proxy.php

I would say they are "designed for a lifetime of use". $Awesome - 2.jpg

Read More: Beware_of_Wild_Boars_traffic_sign - Shaving Towel

attachment.php
[FONT=&amp]"[[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Shaving towels] in their less visible forms are called [shaving] memories". Thomas Fuller[/FONT]

Last edited:
My Costco carries a 12 pack of Hospitality hand towels for about $15. They are thick, soft and larger than most of the others I have tried. I have also used the towels from the Dollar Tree store and they are quite a bit thinner and smaller, but do work.

I use what were referred to as bar rags when I got them at SAM'S. I got a big package of 36 for less than $1 a piece. Need a couple of washings to get softer and absorbent, but then are perfect. After I shave I use it to clean up the sink area, and then it gets tossed in the dirty clothes hamper.

I need a bath towel to clean up after a shave and some paper towels for the floor. My wife is a bathroom nazi. If I threw a wet or even damp towel in the hamper I would never hear the end of it.

miguel:
Can you send me the 'link' to this Site (love the low price)
proxy.php

proxy.php
"The barbershop...Where a man can come and feel at home...Get a hot towel shave, haircut and comb... [...]". Barbershop Proverb

barbersalon dot com

while you are there check the razor blades astra sp for 8.49 per 100 blades and derby premium for 7.95 per 100 blades

I use the cheap white (pick your color) hand towels from the bed/bath department at Walmart. Not too poofy or too thin... just right. :)

Top Bottom