What's new

Best shave ever: 1930's Aristocrat

This week I enjoyed the best shave ever with this all brassed Aristocrat.
I heard the first TTO Gillette made. I personnaly don't miss the gold plating.
It looks awesome.

For the Dutch guys, I cleaned it with Vanish Oxy Action Max. Works great!

Erwin.. That is (yet another) beauty... I have an open comb new style gillette that is absolutely awesome to shave with.. I just sold the only Aristocrat that I ever owned without ever shaving with it.. as it looked to nice to use (ok.. I'm wierd)..

IF you ever see a "cosmetically challenged" (ie cheaper) eg of one of these.. I'd be interested..

Wayne

I'm curious what's the difference between the open comb style on this razor vs. the closed comb on my SS and Merkur? Is it purely asthetics or does it serve some function? I'd like to know. Beautiful razor by the way.

It's in my top 3! I think they're great and look great too!

Gillette went to closed comb (bar guard) likely to save $$ and produce them easier. I like the open comb shave better, but I can't say for sure there's a huge difference in say a sheraton/senator and a Ranger Tech (open and closed comb versions of each other). The open comb is probably a bit more aggressive.

Erwin.. That is (yet another) beauty... I have an open comb new style gillette that is absolutely awesome to shave with.. I just sold the only Aristocrat that I ever owned without ever shaving with it.. as it looked to nice to use (ok.. I'm wierd)..

IF you ever see a "cosmetically challenged" (ie cheaper) eg of one of these.. I'd be interested..

Wayne

Well Wayne, these beauties don't have to be expensive.
I payed about $25 for it from France.

I found mine on ebay for $16! :w00t:

Erwin, i got the New yesterday! It looks great! I'm thinking of putting a heavier thin tech handle (it's an odd handle, straight, no ball-end) on it since the handle is a bit light.... I'll post some photos when I can.

Wow.. I will have to keep my eye's open... if you ever run across another nice one and want to make a few bucks as a middle man.. keep me in mind .. Wayne
Well Wayne, these beauties don't have to be expensive.
I payed about $25 for it from France.

I'm curious what's the difference between the open comb style on this razor vs. the closed comb on my SS and Merkur? Is it purely asthetics or does it serve some function? I'd like to know. Beautiful razor by the way.

I have read that King Gillette preferred the open comb because it left more soap/cream on the face and made for a smoother shave, or so he believed. It is more of an effort to manufacture and Gillette did phase it out eventually. Eventually as in decades after it was introduced.

As time goes by, I think I may have a preference for an open comb razor. YMMV.

Open Comb razors are the best. My daily rotation has 6 open combs and only one solid safety bar razor.

The great thing about the open combs they don't have to be great lookers to be great shavers. The Goodwill I used yesterday is a real junker when it comes to looks but it is one of my favorites when it comes to shaving.

I urge every DE shaver to give an open comb Gillette a test drive. You will not be disappointed.

Top Bottom