What's new

Best safety razor for a baby butt smooth shave

First technique, then prep, then the right combo of razor and blade. No other way. It all chalks up to experience. Took me months to get to BBS and truthfully, BBS is overrated. Quality and comfort first. People can't see BBS.

BBS is when you rub your face and do not get that sandpaper feel no matter in what direction you rub your face. It is usually easy to achieve BBS on cheeks with only two passes, but because hair growth map is more complicated under the jaw line -multiple passes in different directions might be needed.

Too many variables...and truth be told, if I "had" to have a BBS shave everyday, I think my face would begin paying a price for the whole process. I'm good with DFS most all of the time...and my face thanks me for that (particularly under my jaw line).

Have fun experimenting for a few months - different razors, blades, soaps, creams and brushes, etc... Once you've got a few months and experience with several "tools" under your belt, you will begin to "dial" in what you like and don't like and the BBS stuff will suddenly appear on its own.

I agree with many here that technique is the key, not the razor used. I personally don't care about getting a bbs (I'm not a baby after all and my face isn't a butt), but many here get regular bbs shaves with a gillette tech, which is one of the mildest de's out there. So it's not the razor, it's the technique and experience.

$worms.jpg

MementoMori has it. It is about technique. You can use a Schick Kronos and most any blade and get a really good shave. I believe a lot of unnecessary money is spent early in an attempt to get that "great" shave. I did that for a time until I settled down, watched a number of videos on technique, read all I could here and practiced bit by bit on the different areas of my fave. Now I just pick a razor for the day, prep up and press in. The results have been well worth the effort.

Last edited:
But doesn't the aggressiveness of the razor play a factor in how close it shaves. I am using a razor I got from Rudy Vey. It's the blue one listed on his site. If I put Crystal Israeli Personna blades, I cant get a baby butt smooth shave at all. With a feather blade in there, I do indeed get a very close shave. I am just wondering if I can get a razor that's more suitable to what I like as well.

Yes, aggressiveness does play a factor especially for someone that is just learning.

Older vintage tends to be more aggressive than newer vintage. A pre-war Tech will be more aggressive than a newer Tech. Open comb tends to be more aggressive than safety bar. These are NOT hard and fast rules but general characteristics. I currently use a Long Comb New or an Old Type with a Voskhod blade. Well, I currently use one of my straight razors but when it's DE, that's what I use. :)

I can't speak to modern razors. Don't own one.

How long is a piece of string? That said, my best shave is with a mild razor and a sharp blade (tough beard, very sensitive skin) - in my case a Gillette Slim on 2, a Feather D2, EJ DE89, or Muhle R89. YMMVVM. (YMMV Very Much).

Agreed. This is not rocket science. men have been shaving for thousands of years. Sometimes, as helpful as the internet is, it can give information overload.

Just take razor I hand, pay attention to how the angle and pressure feels on your face and shave away.

Only takes 3-4 weeks to develop pretty good technique.

MementoMori has it. It is about technique. You can use a Schick Kronos and most any blade and get a really good shave. I believe a lot of unnecessary money is spent early in an attempt to get that "great" shave. I did that for a time until I settled down, watched a number of videos on technique, read all I could here and practiced bit by bit on the different areas of my fave. Now I just pick a razor for the day, prep up and press in. The results have been well worth the effort.

All things considered, and you have everything else down to a science. I would suggest the Ikon Standard DE razor. My weapon of choice, no matter which blade I throw at it.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I'm leaning toward the idea that good face prep is arguably more important than the razor. I have razors in every catagory and can get a BBS. It's fun to be able to do but not necessary for a good appearance. That said, I think that BBS is overrated; always do what's enjoyable and comfortable. Isn't that what it is all about?

Top Bottom