What's new

Best Rye Whiskey

That's awesome ... I may look into that.

I guess I was just pointing out that the finishing is probably more responsible for the character than anything else. It doesn't make much difference to me if the spirits are distilled from rye watered by Unicorn tears if the barrel aging is done by Joe Bob Barker from down in the holler.

Joe Bob makes his own barrels, from endangered sequoia - adds a real smooth character :wink2:

I like the E. H. Taylor Straight Rye. Actually, I've liked everything from that label that I've had.
Sazerac makes a solid rye.
I have no beef with LDI whiskey. They make some really tasty stuff. Some companies are less forthcoming about the source of their liquid than I'd like.

Appreciate all the thoughtful replies. And where else could we read about Unicorn tears and endangered Sequoia casks but B&B? The Daily Beast article cited farther up was really down on the ubiquitous LDI rye, but as long as they're open about it why not? Templeton does seem to have been pretty dishonest with their " where it's from" story.

Now that Wigle looks interesting. A couple of stores in Baltimore are supposed to carry it... I suppose I could put my razor AD on hold while I sample a few more rye's...

I used to be strictly a single malt Scotch guy - until I moved to KY. Then it was bourbon, bourbon, bourbon. I like bourbon but it's got it's time and place. I've been drinking more ryes lately, I really enjoy the extra spiciness of the spirit. I can agree that the Rittenhouse 100 is a good starting point, the Bulleit is also a good choice, and I just got a bottle of Knob Creek rye. It's good, but I don't know if it's worth the extra $$. FWIW, although I always drink my single malts neat, I tend to drop an ice cube or two into my bourbon, and I more often than not drink my rye in either Manhattans or Old Fashioneds. I'll sip rye neat or light rocks in the summertime, but when it's cold like this I generally reach for a Talisker or Highland Park...

Attention all of the Bulleit Rye (and Bourbon) fans in this thread (myself included). I just got back from Costco (Suburban Chicago) where they had the 1.75L for $42.99 with a $5 mail in rebate. I picked up a bottle so I can make my Thanksgiving extra Happy!
Just thought I'd give you all a "head's up"....and as always, YMMV.

Happy Thanksgiving all......

Do yourself a favor and get yourself some rye from Wigle. It is made, start to finish, from the raw ingredients, to the still, to the barrel, to the bottle, in one place, and it is fantastic. If you can get your hands on a bottle of their "Deep Cut", do not hesitate. Great stuff, and worth every penny IMHO.

https://www.wiglewhiskey.com/

I made it to one of the two liquor stores in Maryland that sells Wigle rye today. It's different from all the LDI/MGP ryes, less spice up front, goes down smoother, then with a different after taste... My palate's not sophisticated enough to describe it. They say they're distilling in the old Monongahela style. Nice stuff, and certainly has more of a unique taste than the other ryes I've tried. Thanks Christopher for the recommendation!

Last edited:
Most of you guys are so lucky living in America. It can be hard to find good rye in Australia.

If any of you live in San francisco you should really go to http://www.1512barbershop.com/ It's a barbershop, and he distills his own whiskey in the basement. The best rye i've ever tasted. http://www.masterofmalt.com/distilleries/1512-spirits/

I don't know them or anything, I just happened on a bottle of their aged rye in a local bar and loved it. Bought a bottle from masters of malt but man the shipping and tax killed me.

I do not find them to be the same. If you do then definitely save some money. Just because they may be distilled in the same place does not mean they are the same.

Picked up a bottle of Redemption Rye. It's a Bardstown product. It's distilled in Indiana but barreled in Kentucky. Not bad for the price of $22. Anyone else try this 92 proof rye?

I made it to one of the two liquor stores in Maryland that sells Wigle rye today. It's different from all the LDI/MGP ryes, less spice up front, goes down smoother, then with a different after taste... My palate's not sophisticated enough to describe it. They say they're distilling in the old Monongahela style. Nice stuff, and certainly has more of a unique taste than the other ryes I've tried. Thanks Christopher for the recommendation!

Wigle sells the "Lickety Split" aging kit, which is basically a small oak cask and two bottles of white rye. You can turn white rye into aged rye in your house; its pretty neat. I got one for my dad this past father's day and it was a lot of fun testing it out through the aging process. If you've ever been curious about aging your own whiskey, its a very fun way to try it out.

Top Bottom