What's new

Best pipe tobacco scent EVER!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I’ve discovered tobacco scented soaps about a year ago, and so far Signature by A&E/ The Club and Stirling Haverford are both favourites.
Had a sample of A&E Choco Cubano, interesting scent, but to my nose it was mostly gourmand, chocolate and very little (if any...) tobacco.
I really loved the scent of the Semois Valley Shave Soap sold by Karve Shaving Co (got a free sample with my Karve razor), a wonderful sweet and rich tobacco leaf, unfortunately the soap base/ performance wasn’t that great...

I was wondering about Eufros Tobacco, and Highland Springs Soap Company (HSSC) Havana Vieja.... if anyone has tried them, how do they compare to Signature or Haverford?
eufros tobacco is a great performer the scent is not overpowering in fact very mild.

I’ve discovered tobacco scented soaps about a year ago, and so far Signature by A&E/ The Club and Stirling Haverford are both favourites.
Had a sample of A&E Choco Cubano, interesting scent, but to my nose it was mostly gourmand, chocolate and very little (if any...) tobacco.
I really loved the scent of the Semois Valley Shave Soap sold by Karve Shaving Co (got a free sample with my Karve razor), a wonderful sweet and rich tobacco leaf, unfortunately the soap base/ performance wasn’t that great...

I was wondering about Eufros Tobacco, and Highland Springs Soap Company (HSSC) Havana Vieja.... if anyone has tried them, how do they compare to Signature or Haverford?
I recently purchased HSSC Havana Vieja. I finds it acceptable but not overwhelmed by it. Same for the splash.
As for a tobacco scent I prefer Crowne & Crane Tobacco Leaf & Amber as well as the balm. The scent is really like cutting tobacco leaf in a barn. I also like Crown & Crane Tobacco & Vanilla.
Also among my Tobacco favorites are A&E Tobacco et Vanilla and Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars. You might try Razor Rock Tuscan Oud or Puros.

Tobacco scents come up often on this board. What complicates things is the issue of what is a tobacco scent. Are we talking tobacco flower, tobacco leaf, cured tobacco, pipe tobacco (and if so, what type?), cigar, humidor etc? The list is extensive.

Of the shaving soap scents mentioned, I have tried Eufros Tobacco, Wholly Kaw Entropy Man and Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars. All three are excellent scents. Unfortunately, H&V lit me up and I had to pif it on. Eufros Tobacco is my favorite.

I also have Grand Havana by a maker that went out of business, Mickey Lee Soapworks. I like that one but really it is more of a vanilla scent. Makers seem to rely on a heavy dose of vanilla in some of these tobacco blends. In this vein, some other interesting scents include A&E Signature and Wholly Kaw King of Bourbon--these are more of the vanilla scent and not really tobacco scents, a related family if you will.

Southsider, I'm new here so pardon me if it's common parlance on the boards - by lit up you mean H&V inflamed your face? I have an issue with clove doing that, I think, so maybe I'm going to have to avoid H&V sadly. I had just learned about it and it sounds so great...

Southsider, I'm new here so pardon me if it's common parlance on the boards - by lit up you mean H&V inflamed your face? I have an issue with clove doing that, I think, so maybe I'm going to have to avoid H&V sadly. I had just learned about it and it sounds so great...
Yes. Exactly what I meant. Really unfortunate for such a nice performing and smelling soap. From everything I have read, clove is a problem for some people but I doubt that there is any clove in H&V Cognac and Cuban Cigars so it may not affect you at all. I am guessing here but for me it may have been the scent component for the cognac part that did it. Short of actually testing a sample, I suggest researching it to see if there is any clove in the H&V soap.

I hope that helps.

I am not the only one whose face was left irritated by H&V Cognac and Cuban Cigars. The guy I pif'd it to had the same problem. I have also read of others having this issue.

Tobacco scents come up often on this board. What complicates things is the issue of what is a tobacco scent. Are we talking tobacco flower, tobacco leaf, cured tobacco, pipe tobacco (and if so, what type?), cigar, humidor etc? The list is extensive.

Of the shaving soap scents mentioned, I have tried Eufros Tobacco, Wholly Kaw Entropy Man and Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars. All three are excellent scents. Unfortunately, H&V lit me up and I had to pif it on. Eufros Tobacco is my favorite.

I also have Grand Havana by a maker that went out of business, Mickey Lee Soapworks. I like that one but really it is more of a vanilla scent. Makers seem to rely on a heavy dose of vanilla in some of these tobacco blends. In this vein, some other interesting scents include A&E Signature and Wholly Kaw King of Bourbon--these are more of the vanilla scent and not really tobacco scents, a related family if you will.
Do you avoid Bay Rum too for the same reason?

I agree, it’s what confuses me when reading scent notes/ description for various soaps...
I’m afraid I don’t know enough about it, and probably wouldn’t be able to tell which is which most of the times.
For example, A&E Signature mentions Tobacco Absolute. But when I look up “tobacco absolute”, it’s described anywhere between “sweet, like a tobacco flower“, “tobacco leaf”, to “deep, pipe or cigar-like”.... and I guess it also depends on the source of the tobacco absolute oil, dilution, etc, etc
As mentioned, I like both A&E Signature and Stirling Haverford, which are fairly similar to my nose (especially once the bourbon/ boozy note in Signature dissipates once you start lathering).
But, as you say, they both have extra notes, including vanilla (not specifically mentioned in Signature, but certainly in Haverford).

Last edited:
sanookd, if you're asking about the clove issue, for me, yeah, unfortunately, that makes some Bay Rums or similar products pretty painful.

I figured you’d have an issue with Bay Rum.
Yeah, it stinks. One of my favorite aftershaves ever is WSP Blackbeard, but something in it, I suspect clove, burns the daylights out of my skin. I have contemplated contacting them to see if they are willing to cook up a clove-free version of that one. From what I gather, they seem pretty adaptable to customer requests.

Oh yeah, also, it's so true that tobacco shaving products vary like crazy in their version of tobacco scent. I did not realize this was the case when I bought my first one. WSP's tobacco vs ToOBS Tobacco Leaf vs Tabac are all worlds apart. I guess it's like (as an analogy only, that is) the differences between pipe tobaccos, from burley to English blends to canvendish.

SMN Tabacco Toscano is a wonderful tobacco-centric scent (complemented by the eucalyptus, camphor and menthol in the soap).
Performance (lather) is excellent.

Oh yeah, also, it's so true that tobacco shaving products vary like crazy in their version of tobacco scent. I did not realize this was the case when I bought my first one. WSP's tobacco vs ToOBS Tobacco Leaf vs Tabac are all worlds apart. I guess it's like (as an analogy only, that is) the differences between pipe tobaccos, from burley to English blends to canvendish.
To my nose I don’t even think Tabac smells like tobacco. I happen to be one of the lovers of Tabac scent but I like it for it’s spiciness not for its tobacco scent. I know some like it and many don’t like arko.

Agreed. What I really meant was soaps that use the name or invoke the concept of "tobacco" scent somehow. And I love Tabac for the powdery quality, personally. It reminds me of something I can't quite place.

Do you like Arko, sanookd?

Top Bottom