What's new

Best Gillette 7’O Clock?

9E4A3FB7-B2D7-4CB3-8403-0D0DB5DD3B08.jpeg
0E165FEF-8E41-4E34-B943-6F9A1913D40C.jpeg

Having tried Astra (ugh!), Merker and Muhl, it seems Gillette is best for my sensitive skin.

I use a Merker Futur and suffer a bloodbath if I ever attempt to get more than 3 shaves from my razor.

I liked the yellow Gillette 7 O’Clock when I tried it a few months back but only seem to find the Green now in Dublin. The green is almost as good but I think not quite as smooth, but maybe that’s my imagination.

I found the Astras very inconsistent and the Muhl quite severe on my very sensitive skin.

Would welcome any advice on which Gillette 7 O’Clock is best. Looking at the packs (see pic), both are Russian (I had thought the yellow was India, but no). Any advice gratefully taken. Thanks!

A lot of people like the super platinum black. But I've not tried it before.

However the regular platinum shaves slightly closer and smoother for me than the 7oc super stainless.

I find the same as you: yellow edges out the green for a smoother feeling shave, for no initial tugging, and longevity.

I have found Gillette Silver Blues and Perma-Sharp blades to be similiar to the ones you mention as well as anything out of that same St Petersburg factory.

Super Stainless (Russian) green and Super Platinum (Indian) black are my two favorites. I also like the SharpEdge (Russian) yellow - especially on the second or third shave.

Right now the channel has two kinds of 7 O'Clock branded blades made in Russia (the two you've shown) and two made in India (a green pack called Permasharp and a black pack called Super Platinum.) The conventional wisdom, having read a few threads like this, is that the green Indian Permasharps are the only mediocre blades of the group. Most people who have tried all of them seem to find good success with both Russian blades and with the Indian Super Platinums.

I'm using a yellow-pack SharpEdge right now, and find it to be a very durable, efficient, and effective blade. But I suspect you'll adjust to the Super Stainless once you've used them for awhile.

Enjoying the India GSP Blacks at this point though I have not tried the other versions. Will do in the near future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another vote for the yellow Sharpedge but as suggested above also try the Gillette Silver Blue, a great balance of sharpness and smoothness.

Another Russian blade that is very smooth is the Raipara Platinum Lux.

Or the Vokshod blade. Can get them on Shaving.ie, a good online only shaving supplies company based in Dublin. They also sell the Gillette Silver Blue blades.

Just wanna point out, Astra is made by Gillette in the same factory. Just use whatever blades work for you. I can only use the blacks in a Tech, but I love the greens.

I haven't done a comparison in awhile, but I liked Blacks over Yellow. I don't like Astra SP. They could be a lot smoother and a little bit sharper. Currently, I like the Greens. They seem to be a smooth blade that works best in an aggressive razor.

On my skin (tough hair, medium density, moderately sensitive skin) the blacks have been the best 7 O'Clock, but I have not tried the Blues.
FWIW the Silver Blues have given me a MUCH better shave than any of the 7 O'Clocks. Nacets and Platinums are great as well, but YMMV.

Top Bottom