What's new

Best espresso machine (in your opinion)

I love espresso - stop at my local two or three times a week for a double corto or maybe a macchiatto. I've owned a few consumer espresso machine models. But at the risk of being off topic I've got to say that no machine within my price range makes a better cup than my moka pot does for a small fraction of the cost. If it has to be real espresso then by all means go for the gaggia or rancilio for about $350 and up. But IMHO if you don't want to go that high then go moka.

best espresso machine is the one you know every quirk and kink in the one that your confident in pulling perfect shots with the one where you can get perfect milk with. be it a $100 machine or a $5K machine its really about the tweaks and quirks of the machine if you get to know your machine you can do a lot with it dont be afraid to experiment.

My experience is that I get a fuller extraction with the rotary type because of it's lack of preinfusion and pressure profile.

Machines with rotary pumps are still quite capable of pre-infusion and variable pressure. Just depends on the machine.

And Jason, :001_tt2: back atcha! I've seen it claimed that vibration is a form of agitation. I think the more significant extraction factor, however, is the smoothness of the pressure delivery. Were' talking about drops in a bucket, though. Once you get temperature and pressure right, I'm not convinced that even a coffee snob will appreciate that vibration-isolated shot over one pulled from a machine with a vib pump.

I have no idea and am looking for a press and/or manuall drip a.t.m.
But my brother sounds like he knows what he is talking about, and he strongly recommended a Rancilio Silvia.
He says they probably have the best prize/quality ratio and also claimed that most people won't taste the difference when using a much more expensive model, and that at this point other factors like beans are beginning to make the difference, as well as other details (like the cream/sugar used, preheating cups, etc.).

When reading a little about it I strongly got the feeling that, like wetshaving, it's a strongly "YMMV" subject.
As long as you enjoy your cup.
Cheers!

I've owned an Izzo Alex Duetto for two years now. I also bought a Baratza Vario grinder and I am very happy with the results.

All I can say, it has ruined drinking coffee out (restaurants and coffee shops) for me.

I have no idea and am looking for a press and/or manuall drip a.t.m.
But my brother sounds like he knows what he is talking about, and he strongly recommended a Rancilio Silvia.
He says they probably have the best prize/quality ratio and also claimed that most people won't taste the difference when using a much more expensive model.
A Silvia won't help you for press or drip. It's also generally regarded as overpriced these days as it approaches the bottom end of the price range for HX machines. Research using appropriate sources and consider the dates on what you're reading. The Silvia was the go-to machine back when I bought mine but that was quite some time ago and a lot has changed since then. If what you read makes you think that a Silvia and a Rocky are a good combo then you're probably reading outdated information.

Silvia is also notorious for being difficult to work with. A frequent comment from those that upgrade from the Silvia is how much easier (less effort, more consistent) it is to obtain higher quality shots from the newer machine. As a Silvia owner of 9 years I'd agree that Silvia is difficult even though I haven't upgraded. Despite a lot of experience with it I still produce some sink shots. It's a well built machine with good intrashot thermal stability and it can produce great espresso but it's not quite the machine that everyone recommends any more. I'd suggest that anyone considering the Silvia save the price difference and consider a Lelit or Gaggia. Put the savings towards a better grinder or the espresso machine that you'll be upgrading to. I realize I'm saying that as one that hasn't upgraded but many others have over the years.

When reading a little about it I strongly got the feeling that, like wetshaving, it's a strongly "YMMV" subject.
As long as you enjoy your cup.
In a sense. The YMMV factor isn't so heavily tied to a person in the same way though. While certain razors and blades, etc may or may not work for a given person, odds are that most of the well-regarded espresso machine can produce good espresso for anyone out there given that they're considering more than just the machine itself. The machine is just one link in the chain. The grinder, the beans and the attention and skill of the operator matter (and have always mattered -- it's not just now that beans matter) as well.

If it has to be real espresso then by all means go for the gaggia or rancilio for about $350 and up.
If by Rancilio you mean Silvia then good luck finding one at $350. More like $600+ USD. If it has to be real espresso then don't overlook the grinder as so many seem to do.

All I can say, it has ruined drinking coffee out (restaurants and coffee shops) for me.
Silvia did the same for me until we got some good shops in town. I carefully research the options before traveling as other cities have good shops as well. IIRC Vancouver should have some.

Last edited:
Silvia did the same for me until we got some good shops in town. I carefully research the options before traveling as other cities have good shops as well. IIRC Vancouver should have some.

Vancouver does indeed have some good coffee shops, but they are by no means on every street corner...

A Silvia won't help you for press or drip.
Research using appropriate sources and consider the dates on what you're reading.
If what you read makes you think that a Silvia and a Rocky are a good combo then you're probably reading outdated information.

I never said they would help for press/drip, because I'm smart enough to understand they are completely different systems. I said I am not interested in Espresso machines, but drip/press.
Why should I research them if I'm not interested in them?
Also, do you know that Italian machines are cheaper here? So you price tag is not accurate here.
If what you read makes you think that a Silvia and a Rocky are a good combo then you're probably reading outdated information.
What? I never mentioned a Rocky.
Al I said was my brother recommended him (for me, as in buying it in Europe),
I never said that it is the best buy, only that he recommended it to me.

Easy answer -- Kees Speedster is best, but then I'm biased.

On a more serious note, get yourself the best grinder you can possibly afford then worry next about your coffee machine. Nothing beats a nice conical grinder, IMHO.

Last edited:
I have an Expobar Pulser. It's fantastic. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I can't think of any other in its class for the money. It needs a compatible grinder (I have a Rancillio Rocky). Had it for 3 years after several others just didn't measure up (stay away from Saeco). Had I not been willing to spend the $$$, Rancillio Silvia would have been my choice.

Good luck.

Thanks folks, for all your responses. I´d like to tell you that i have been doing my research job at coffeegeek.com an i´m very interested in the new Breville double boiler system, the first impression on that item are great, but as long as it is a new model, maybe is wiser to wait for more reviews. I also read a lot about the rancilio silvia and looks that is a general agree on the pricey and outdated factor.

If someone know how much weight is the breville double boiler i would apreciate the info, so i can make me and idea of the shipment cost. Most vendor offer a great deal on shipments but not shipping to mexico where i live.

Thanks again everyone

The manufacturer's site is lacking in that regard. FWIW, Amazon lists it as 35 pounds. Whole Latte Love says 38. ABT says 32.

Last edited:
The Silvia is a dramatically different machine from the Breville double boiler (I imagine you know that). These aren't comparable in any sense other than the fact that they both make espresso.

The one I have...(I keep telling myself until I can afford better)

Ben

Attachments

• $IMG_0238.jpg
    $IMG_0238.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 62
A Silvia won't help you for press or drip. It's also generally regarded as overpriced these days as it approaches the bottom end of the price range for HX machines. Research using appropriate sources and consider the dates on what you're reading. The Silvia was the go-to machine back when I bought mine but that was quite some time ago and a lot has changed since then. If what you read makes you think that a Silvia and a Rocky are a good combo then you're probably reading outdated information.

Silvia is also notorious for being difficult to work with. A frequent comment from those that upgrade from the Silvia is how much easier (less effort, more consistent) it is to obtain higher quality shots from the newer machine. As a Silvia owner of 9 years I'd agree that Silvia is difficult even though I haven't upgraded. Despite a lot of experience with it I still produce some sink shots. It's a well built machine with good intrashot thermal stability and it can produce great espresso but it's not quite the machine that everyone recommends any more. I'd suggest that anyone considering the Silvia save the price difference and consider a Lelit or Gaggia. Put the savings towards a better grinder or the espresso machine that you'll be upgrading to. I realize I'm saying that as one that hasn't upgraded but many others have over the years.

In a sense. The YMMV factor isn't so heavily tied to a person in the same way though. While certain razors and blades, etc may or may not work for a given person, odds are that most of the well-regarded espresso machine can produce good espresso for anyone out there given that they're considering more than just the machine itself. The machine is just one link in the chain. The grinder, the beans and the attention and skill of the operator matter (and have always mattered -- it's not just now that beans matter) as well.

If by Rancilio you mean Silvia then good luck finding one at $350. More like $600+ USD. If it has to be real espresso then don't overlook the grinder as so many seem to do.

What would you recommend in the same price range that you say is better, or at least more consistent? I had a Baby Gaggia way back in 1990 (while in college, good in the dorm room as I made a lot of money off selling coffee), I liked it, but it gave up the ghost about 15 years ago, and I never replaced it, but am considering doing so now. I had been looking at a Silvia a few years ago, but have heard lots of nightmares of getting it serviced. I want a good solid machine, that will last and make a quality cup. I am kind of out of the loop as to what is a good machine today.

P

pdillon

I ordered a Silvia with a PID put in by Hi-Tech Espresso. My understanding is that the PID really takes the Silvia up a notch. It arrives tomorrow, so I should have plenty of time to play with it over the weekend.

Takeshi has great advice. I'm sure you have learned this from your research on coffeegeek, but don't skimp on the grinder. I ordered the Rocky, but it seems to get a lot of criticism on message boards. Most people recommend the Vario over it (about $100 more). The Mazzer Mini is extremely well regarded. Many will tell you the grinder is more important than the espresso machine itself.

Top Bottom