What's new

Best DE for head shaving?

Hello gents! I've recently began shaving my scalp...I'm trying to assist God in the work He had already began on both my hairline and crown:laugh:, but I have had to use a cartridge razor as my Gillette Super Speed just wasn't doing the job. I agree it could be technique, but it seems I spend more time trying to shave with the TTO doors on top of it, then with the blade. The contours of my head aren't as "chiseled" as those of my face:001_rolle.
That being said, I am wondering if any other DE headshavers can give me any tips on a better razor that may help me to stay away from the "cart monster." I have a Gillette Tech that I haven't tried yet, but I'm not sure it will be any more manueverable than the SS. Any advice is much appreciated.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Seldon:
I shave my 'nogging' once a week (Sundays), using my Merkur 23C (because of it's light weight [2.1oz], and long [3¾ in], handle...I also own a 38C), using Shark Super Chrome blades. I find that this razor because of the above attribute gives me ease of manoeuvrability (I guess my 'nogging' is kind of flat on top and generally smooth, and round).
proxy.php

"Merkur; Solingen quality, Time-tested Tradition with Modern Design".

I use one blade just for shaving my 'nogging' because I've found that after 2 passes (front to back...re-lather and make a second pass back to front), the blade is no good for face shaving (actually I get a BBS headshave...YaY Baby!!!), and I haven't had any problems with nicks and/or razor bumps along the neck line. :thumbup:

At first, I kind of cringed
proxy.php
at the thought of using my DE, but after the first time, I realized 3 geat benefits (besides saving from not having to pay a barber [and with these savings....I can buy more cigars]).

1. There is no 'gunk' factor when you use your DE vs. a disposable, or carts.

2. Time saved from not having to 'de-gunk' carts (under running hot water [not green] and constant shaking also while your lather slowly dries on your 'nogging and your cartridge blade gets duller anfd duller)

3. Less passes using your DE to acheive a BBS bald head (of course that depends how long you let your hair grow back and if you head shave everyday).

Just my
proxy.php

Christopher
proxy.php
“Experience is a comb which nature gives to men when they are bald”. Chinese Proverb

Last edited:
I must confess that my attempts to shave my head, which I do daily, did not go well when using a DE. Using a DE took more time than with a cartridge and it was a tad bloodier. I'll give it another try when my present batch of cartridges runs out.

While I still have some hair "up there" I won't be shaving my own head.

However, I assume that you don't want something like the Headblade.

From what I understand, it is easy to use and does a pretty good job. But what do I know, I only shave my face.

Last edited:
I have used my Gillette slim, Merkur 23c, and the New long comb with one of Bob's handles with Astras and Sharks. I think so far the Long comb New with a shark is my favorite.

From what I understand, it is easy to use and does a pretty good job. But what do I know, I only shave my face.

When I was in Iraq I used the headblade and proceeded to cut the heck out of the back of my neck, bled for hours.

When I was in Iraq I used the headblade and proceeded to cut the heck out of the back of my neck, bled for hours.

If your careless with the Headblade, it will bite you.
I had the Headblade do a nose over and carve a dime size chunk of meat out of the back of my head.
Used with respect the Headblade is a great head shaving razor, but it's also a lousy face shaving razor and I refuse to use 2 different razors to shave.

Seldon,

I use a Weshi with Shark Super Chromes. The Sputnik did better, but I had a couple of weepers behind ears(cold water fixed them). I don't go for BBS on workdays, I shower and shave face&head in ~35 minutes. On my head I make two passes, NS and front to back. This is usually BBS on top, and DFS back of head. On weekends I take my time, and go for the BBS on the back of my head with an extra back to front pass.

I use Cella during the week, Marco's method over a mug(lots of water in the brush), and face lather Speick stick or use my Muhle Buckthorn cream on weekends. The Cella for me does not usually require more water, where as the other two do. Hard to believe, but with the Speick stick I just rub it on my beard, and have plenty of soap in the brush for my head. The Muhle is a cream, and I just put a walnut sized squirt in my mug, and add water as I need to with the shave. On weekends I take my time, and usually lather in zones, shave and go to another zone to keep the lather from drying out.

I hope this helps.

Every DE I've ever tried works great for head shaving. My Favorites are NEW, Red Tip, DE89, and #15 Aristocrat, but not specifically for head, these all also work great on the face. The headblade was not that good for me.

Thanks everyone for the replies, they have been helpful and are very appreciated. I tried the Gillette Tech today and it was a bad experience, the SS did better. I was able to get the job done between the two, but the back of my head was left a wreck with inflamation and some breakout. Nothing that some alcohol won't clear up overnight :biggrin:.
I have found that I get the best shave with a simple twin blade disposable, so far. I'm not sure if it's the fact that it's a pivot-head, making it a mid-point razor between a DE and a full-blown cart with too much "flexability," or what. Anyone have a similar situation that ended up going to an Atra or Trac II?

Your technique is probably not going to be that great at first. I can honestly echo mattface's comments on every single razor in my rotation being up to the task. Superspeeds from any era, fat handled Tech, and Slim adjustable are my go-tos.

You should only be going WTG while you're in the early stages.

Some people swear by carts, but I've found that in over two months of DE headshaving my skin is noticeably happier and healthier.

This is what I use and I love it. I use the Wilkinson Sword carts from Wal-Mart so it's not too expensive to operate. I'm too scared to use my DE on my scalp.

it might help you to run the fingertips of your freehand over your scalp, and follow behind them with the razor. That's what I do to find any spots I've missed in the back, but I think it also helps to feel where you're running the razor rather than look at it. Blade angle is a tactile thing, so whatever tactile feedback you can get is bound to help.

My experience with the Headblade was not good. In fact, it was the least satisfactory of everything I've tried over the 10 years I've been shaving my head.

This is what I use and I love it. I use the Wilkinson Sword carts from Wal-Mart so it's not too expensive to operate. I'm too scared to use my DE on my scalp.

Same here. I use Wilkinson Sword Extreme III on my head. Have dozens and they last ages (i only shave my bonce twice a week) so i:ve got years worth! Not sure i'll ever try a DE up there! :crazy:

A Weshi has been working for me. Just a bit of extra work needed in the wrinkles at the back of my head. I use the weshi now only for head shaving.

Not to go OT but some of you guys on the fence should really take the plunge. (As long as your DE technique on your face is solid)

Some lazy Sunday afternoon, set aside 45 minutes for a headshave. Shower prep, get a nice cushiony lather going, and go to town with a razor and blade combo that works well for you. It's really not hard at all to learn, IMO. :thumbup1:

If you're having trouble with the back of your head, just use a mirror to help you see what you're doing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom