What's new

Best coffee maker - is there a consensus?

The melitta idea was for you. I own two of them and they get regular use. Along with my $1k espresso machine, $35 aeropress, $10 french press, and hario TCA-2 vac-pot.

I often prefer my hario hand grinder that I got for $27 to my Mazzer Super Jolly for some brewing applications.

I have worked on some quite expensive machines that I really hated because they weren't capable of producing the results that I care so much about.

I understand the bias of human nature, and I am not denying it in me. It was to be understood in reference to coffee, and only coffee.

I also know what you meant when you said "double blind", but decided to use the term anyway.

In my line of work, there are certain rules which should be followed.

One of which is rule #1: If you can taste the difference, your customers can taste the difference. period. Never ever assume that a consumer is incapable of tasting differences in flavors. They are human as well, after all.

People ask me all the time. They never like the economical solution because it takes (not much) more work. This doesn't mean that they can't taste the difference.

Consensus? Here? :lol:

I got a Cuisinart Grind-and-brew with a vacuum carafe for my wedding. It makes very good coffee, and it's great to have hot coffee hours later without it tasting burnt from sitting on a heating element.

But my parents make better coffee with a french press, and the moka pots do better coffee too.

I have a friend with one of these and he loves it, although it looked like it might be something of a mess to keep clean. I like the carafe idea for the same reasons you do, but find my venerable old Krups ProAroma continues to give every saticfaction, though I have gone through a number of coffee grinders before setteling on the Kitchen Aid Pro Line Burr Grinder...

That sure looks like a glorified KitchenAid mixer. I've seen them in stores aand they appear well-built, as one expects from a KitchenAid. I get sevral cooking magazines that have equipment reviews, but I don't recall seeing one featured. I think that heavy duty line also includes a waffle iron, etc.

The Pro-Line grinder can be modified to take Mazzer Mini burrs, actually.

While I wouldn't want to rely on it for espresso, it's certainly capable enough for drip and FP. It doesn't look too bad on the counter top either.

I wasn't necessarily arguing that 200F and Burr grinders weren't better, just that they weren't "better" enough to justify their cost; hence the term "diminishing returns." The question seems to be, out of the variables I can control, what is the minimum acceptable performance for each one and and which one will give me a substantial bang for the buck if I spend more. Should I spend more on 1) the coffee maker? The answer appears to be "no" from people who prove their objectivity and don't just assert it. 2) Buying a (any kind) coffee grinder instead of buying pre-ground? Yes, also backed up by objective testing. 3) A Burr grinder instead of a blade (a 5 to 20x cost increase)? Maybe, I'm not aware of any testing to back this up either way. Two arguments for Burr are grain size uniformity and the blades heating up and altering the coffee. For auto drip, I find it hard to believe the former matters if you have good technique with a blade grinder. The latter seems unlikely as well. 4) Freshly roasted coffee. Seems to make a huge difference to me.

Since when has this forum been about that? :wink:

P

peterking

My vote goes to Chemex. For me that is the best and simplest way to brew a great cup of coffee. You have full control over the brewing temperature and the only material and the coffee comes into contact only with glass - no metal or plastic. The Chemex filters are also quite special - they let through much more flavor than other paper filters (I use the unbleached filters). As for a grinder, I have an old Zassenhaus. This combination works great for me.

I have to give the edge to vacuum coffee pots. They used to be pretty common and they brew wonderful brew. I have a Cona on my "wish-list", but spending that much isn't necessary. I prefer not to brew at the table, so the Yama is perfect for me. I was thrilled when the 8-cup model came out. I've broken a couple parts, but they're fairy inexpensive. I found the cloth filters to be a PITA, so I use a Corey Glass Rod. They can be had on eBay.

Our machine is a Saeco super automatic. Although pricey, its used everyday and makes awesome espresso based drinks, all with the single push of a button.

I wrote this awhile back and am sipping a cup as I type.
Reading the favorable reviews here on this coffee maker piqued my interest and I decided to take the plunge.
I received my Aeropress yesterday and made my first Americano this morning.
It was quick, easy and delicious.
Clean up was also a breeze.
I've found my new coffee maker.
Thanks to Wishoot and marvin100 for the reviews and pointing me in the right direction.

Still enjoying.
Thanks again guys!

Our machine is a Saeco super automatic. Although pricey, its used everyday and makes awesome espresso based drinks, all with the single push of a button.

The most important part is that you use it and that it works for you. I would imagine that you would find an "artisanal shot" pulled on a quality non-automatic machine by a skilled barista quite a bit better. Still, there is a lot to be said for convenience*.

*Although you'll notice that this forum isn't generally about convenience. :001_tongu

My favorite brewers are the Manual drip cones (Mellita, Chemex, Bodum, Hario...)
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

It really depends on what your needs. How much coffee do you brew at a time, how much do u want to spend, is speed more important then coffee quality?

I am the only coffee drinker in my home so I only need to make a cup or two at a time and getting the best tasting cup is most important to me. After trying many differant brewing methods i finally settled on the manual drip method(Melitta single cup). Its easy to use and clean, inexpensive, gives you control of water temps and grind saturation, and IMO makes the best tasting coffee. They make these in a variety of sizes so even if you need more then a cup or two it may be worth a try.

My requirements for a good coffee maker:

1) Easy to use
2) Easy to keep clean
3) Achieves and maintains proper temperature and brew time.

#3 rules out most auto-drip type devices, although Technivorm is reputed to be "the" machine. Vacuum pots can be tricky on #1-2, but the results make them worthwhile for me.
It almost seems that, for a lot of devices, increased price doesn't increase cup quality.

I didn't read most of the other recommendations here, but personally I love the French Press and Coffee grinder combination. I buy whole beans and grind them up fresh in the morning right before I make the coffee. I find that though I'd say it isn't the most economical use of coffee ( I think a regular drip pot is a bit more efficient) I think the coffee is much better then outta a drip pot.

A French Press is usually pretty cheap too, you can find one for around 15-20 bucks at your local Target along with a coffee grinder that is about 15 bucks. Just make sure you get one with an option for coarse ground coffee as you need the thicker grind to ensure no grinds get into your cup.

I didn't read most of the other recommendations here, but personally I love the French Press and Coffee grinder combination. I buy whole beans and grind them up fresh in the morning right before I make the coffee. I find that though I'd say it isn't the most economical use of coffee ( I think a regular drip pot is a bit more efficient) I think the coffee is much better then outta a drip pot.

A French Press is usually pretty cheap too, you can find one for around 15-20 bucks at your local Target along with a coffee grinder that is about 15 bucks. Just make sure you get one with an option for coarse ground coffee as you need the thicker grind to ensure no grinds get into your cup.
I believe you can get away with a simple whirly-blade grinder for drip coffee, but when you start needing a coarse grind for a French press you really need to find a decent grinder and spend at least around $100, I think the Capresso is a good example.

My dad uses this Cusinart burr grinder, and while you can select a coarse or fine grind, it doesn't work evenly. At its coarsest setting, you'll still get a whole heap of dust in your bin, translating to sludge in the French press.

My Moka: 1) heat the water, 2) add the grinds, 3) assemble pot, 4) take off of heat when it begins to sputter, 5) add hot water to make a kind of 'Americano'.

I poured the coffee into a glass so that you could see what it looks like.

Last edited:
Top Bottom