What's new

Best cheap modern DE razor

There have been lots of negative comments about the Gillette company. There are entire threads dealing with their absolutely horrible QC for a while, and their habit of mixing razor pieces among different construction/production batches, leading to some distinctly odd looking razors in those in-between periods. Let's not neglect the barrel cracking issue with pretty much every OLD, some NEW, and lots of others. Then the mess they made when Wilkinson blasted past them with stainless steel blades.... Not to mention the Toggle.

It's just that once they started producing a line of razors, they tended to be solid performers, even if they weren't pretty.

I don't think anyone here is really that biased against Merkur/Hoffritz/etc. There's definitely a bias against Derby blades, and some of the Chinese companies, but even that isn't across the whole board.

when you only can make 3-4 shaves on a blade that only says one thing , it needs a lot of practice here , the best thing is to start with a derby blade and learn how to shave insteading of just scraping the face , a bad mix is to have agressive blades on an agressive razor unless you dont want to cut Your nose off,

I love The Lord L6 (lp1822l) which costs less than $10 US.

I hope you enjoy them. I've probably given away a dozen of them so far. They are mild, so a new shaver can get away with a mistake or two without paying with blood. I'm using one (with a different handle) in just a few minutes.

+1. That would also be my choice.

These rocked up today. Nice looking razors, and they feel like they have some good weight behind them as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1144.JPG
    IMG_1144.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
you have to get that special one , , its just good as a gillette Tech , smoth and cheap , i used that one maybe 6 months With hand soap as a shaving soap , and it gave bbs ,

Last edited:
QShave (Ming Shi S2000), can be had for around $10, $8 with coupon. - Futur clone, been using one for about a week, great shave, as good as my Fat-boy, but maybe smoother and nearly as smooth as my Rockwell on setting 2. (Better/more comfortable than the TX18 copy, which I hated and sold).

Be sure to but the QShave branded model, I bought both, same razor, but fit and finish better on QShave. - I bought mine on Ali-Express, around 2 weeks from China.

+1 on the Mingshi 2000
I used to swear blind that my Wizamet W-11 Adjustable and Weishi 9306CEL were probably the best choices of adjustable and TTO for the money

Then my Mingshi 2000 arrived, I shaved with it and I was blown away
I was amazed at how easy it was to shave under my nostrils - a magnet for weepers with any other razor - I actually found it quicker and easier with the 2000 - pretty impressive considering the size of the razor head

As I'm getting used to using it - admittedly I find it easiest to un-learn everything I've learned shaving with other DE razors and think of it as a whole new ball game - my shaves are improving, not one nick or weeper and zero irritation, and with practice I think I'll be able to get the holy grail of shaves on a regular basis - the elusive BBS

I like it so much that I decided to auction off my 2 old adjustables - the Wizamet W-11 and Ideal - they're now surplus to requirement

I bought mine on eBay because I like to receive plenty of positive feedback, so I got it for €14 with free shipping
I know the razors are cheaper elsewhere, but eBay is my source of choice

I also think it is a good choice of DE for a beginner, partly because most beginners are used to cartridge razors that are a totally different shape to a DE - the Mingshi 2000 is an unusual shape, but also very ergonomic
The heavy weight means that with zero pressure, the razor will do all the work, I also find it to be a very forgiving razor, so on the low settings it will be very mild

Weishi 9306 and Micro Touch One are very good value for money - especially if bought on eBay direct from China, but for my money, the Mingshi 2000 ticks more boxes - the fact that it looks cooler and more badass is just a bonus !!
20170401_153904.jpg

Mingshi 2000, Weishi 9306CEL, Micro Touch One

QShave (Ming Shi S2000), can be had for around $10, $8 with coupon. - Futur clone, been using one for about a week, great shave, as good as my Fat-boy, but maybe smoother and nearly as smooth as my Rockwell on setting 2. (Better/more comfortable than the TX18 copy, which I hated and sold).

Be sure to but the QShave branded model, I bought both, same razor, but fit and finish better on QShave. - I bought mine on Ali-Express, around 2 weeks from China.

+1 on the Mingshi 2000
I used to swear blind that my Wizamet W-11 Adjustable and Weishi 9306CEL were probably the best choices of adjustable and TTO for the money

Then my Mingshi 2000 arrived, I shaved with it and I was blown away
I was amazed at how easy it was to shave under my nostrils - a magnet for weepers with any other razor - I actually found it quicker and easier with the 2000 - pretty impressive considering the size of the razor head

As I'm getting used to using it - admittedly I find it easiest to un-learn everything I've learned shaving with other DE razors and think of it as a whole new ball game - my shaves are improving, not one nick or weeper and zero irritation, and with practice I think I'll be able to get the holy grail of shaves on a regular basis - the elusive BBS

I like it so much that I decided to auction off my 2 old adjustables - the Wizamet W-11 and Ideal - they're now surplus to requirement

I bought mine on eBay because I like to receive plenty of positive feedback, so I got it for €14 with free shipping
I know the razors are cheaper elsewhere, but eBay is my source of choice

I also think it is a good choice of DE for a beginner, partly because most beginners are used to cartridge razors that are a totally different shape to a DE - the Mingshi 2000 is an unusual shape, but also very ergonomic
The heavy weight means that with zero pressure, the razor will do all the work, I also find it to be a very forgiving razor, so on the low settings it will be very mild

Weishi 9306 and Micro Touch One are very good value for money - especially if bought on eBay direct from China, but for my money, the Mingshi 2000 ticks more boxes - the fact that it looks cooler and more badass is just a bonus !!View attachment 779914

Mingshi 2000, Weishi 9306CEL, Micro Touch One

That Mingshi looks interesting. I haven't been interested in adjustables in the past... or TTO's to be honest (I have a vintage Gillette Rocket HD but I rarely use it, I just find it a bit clunkier than my 3 piece razors) ... and I have been trying to avoid RAD kicking in... however after reading reviews of the Mingshi S2000 I am thinking that I might like to order one. The Lord's that were delivered today are purely for PIFing. I have a Merkur 34C (Gold ed) on order to PIF to my father in law and I am awaiting delivery of a Fatip Piccolo for myself at the moment. Aside from that my EJ DE89 seems to work well as a daily driver... I get a reasonably close shave (VCS or DFS) in a single pass on two day stubble with a decent blade using it .. and I'm pretty happy with that.

Top Bottom