What's new

Best brush upgrade?

I've been using my Merkur Futur brush for a year, and it's worked well, but I feel there is a higher level of shaving brush experience which I have not yet reached.
I've had some looks at Rooney and Shavemac brushes, but it's hard to judge how they would be different from my Merkur, and which one would give me the best shaving experience.
For example, I can't tell whether the Merkur is a bulb or fan shaped brush, although I guess it is the former, since it's German. It may not be as densely packed as the Shavemacs, however.

In other words: What do you think is the best upgrade from a Merkur brush at around $100 (to be used mostly with creams)?

Regards,
Alex

I recommend a Savile Row 3xxx series brush. I have a 3226, which is a little more money than you specified (around $135), and as far as I am concerned, it is just about perfect.

Of course, there are quite a few great brushes out there.

Tim

I think I've heard the rumor float around here that the Savile Row brushes may also be made by Bernd at Shavemac. I don't know whether it's true or not, though.

I will take the other side I have owned all three you mentioned Rooney you will spend more then that to get a good one, I would take the Shavemac before the SR. Shavemac 177 pick your color. YMWV but it is IMHO the best $ Value of any brush out there. The other thing to help you is what are you looking for in a brush, and what do you use soaps or creams or both?

Here is the SR info. Shavemac has its own very good site. You can also get some Shavemacs at VintageBlades

For the money, SR's & Shavemacs always seem to be the brushes mentioned most in terms of performance/cost.
From what I've read here, SR's are made by Shavemac until proven otherwise.
So either way you are getting a quality brush from a quality brush maker.

Here is the SR info. Shavemac has its own very good site. You can also get some Shavemacs at VintageBlades

For the money, SR's & Shavemacs always seem to be the brushes mentioned most in terms of performance/cost.
I always hear that do but the stlye of brushes are different.

According to the QED website the SRs are made in the UK. From what I understand, Shavemac is based in Germany. There are some clues on the website, saying that the company that makes them is located in rural England, and started 1919. This leads me to believe it is Simpsons who make the Savile Rows.

I will take the other side I have owned all three you mentioned Rooney you will spend more then that to get a good one, I would take the Shavemac before the SR. Shavemac 177 pick your color. YMWV but it is IMHO the best $ Value of any brush out there. The other thing to help you is what are you looking for in a brush, and what do you use soaps or creams or both?

I'm looking for a brush that has qualities not found in the Merkur brush I'm currently using. For example, I'd like it to be dense, fairly stiff but soft on the skin, and of course I'd like it to produce the highest quality lather possible (something that my current brush may or may not be doing). I'm mainly using creams, with an occasional soap every now and then.

Regards,
Alex

I would buy neither the Rooney nor the Shavemac; instead, I'd find an extra $40 and grab the above-mentioned brush, which just came up for sale on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum. Here is the link to the seller's original post. It's still available.

I recommend a Savile Row 3xxx series brush. I have a 3226, which is a little more money than you specified (around $135), and as far as I am concerned, it is just about perfect.

Tim

+1

Tim

The SR 3124 is a little cheaper and still plenty of brush (24mm knot vs. 26mm).

According to the QED website the SRs are made in the UK. From what I understand, Shavemac is based in Germany. There are some clues on the website, saying that the company that makes them is located in rural England, and started 1919. This leads me to believe it is Simpsons who make the Savile Rows.

Charles doesn't update his website very often - if at all. :tongue:
I've always thought that info about the SR's is from when he only sold pure and super badger brushes. I believe the 3xxx series of brushes (the silvertips) came out later and are made by a different company. I'm not positive but I thought I've read that somewhere on the board.
If you compare the silvertip SR handles to some of the handles on the Shavemac site, you'll notice a striking similarity.
But even if they are made by Shavemac, they are made to Charles' specifications and would not be identical to Shavemacs in feel/performance.

Anyway, lots of good brush makers out there and lots of good helpful people here w/ lots of info and experience.

Top Bottom