What's new

Best blade for someone with somewhat sensitive skin?

Hello all. New to the forum. I have a Merkur Futur that I have been using for about a year. I discovered this site looking for some new blades. I usually just buy the regular Merkur ones. Does anyone have any recommendations? I saw the "Derby Extra" on ebay for $15.99 100 blades. Will these work with my Merkur? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chad

I'd advise looking in the for sale forum at letterk's offering. He sells blade sampler packs, allowing you to inexpensively try a few of each.

Chicagochad2000 said:
Hello all. New to the forum. I have a Merkur Futur that I have been using for about a year. I discovered this site looking for some new blades. I usually just buy the regular Merkur ones. Does anyone have any recommendations? I saw the "Derby Extra" on ebay for $15.99 100 blades. Will these work with my Merkur? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Chad

The Derby blades are good quality wise. They are sharper than the Merkurs yet not abrasive. Good luck.

Hi Chad- Welcome!

I also have very sensitive skin and I use Feathers and Murker and Derbys. I get a good shave no matter which ones I use. The secret for me to get an irritation free shave is a great lubricating lather, glycerin and Shea butter and slipping agents like clay, I know you asked about blades but I cannot help myself when I hear someone post about sensitive skin and ask for a recommendation. The lather is KEY (for me).:biggrin:

Good luck

Chad,
Definitely try the sampler, because we really can't tell you what the best blade is for sensitive skin. You will almost certainly hear votes for all of merkur, derby, isreali personna, swedish gillette, feather, and maybe even american personna. It seems to be an extremely personal thing.

I have been using Derby blades for a few months. Excellent blades for sensitive skin, especially for a razor like the future.

I have pretty sensitive skin as well. Plus, I'm just starting out with the whole DE thing. I just finished up my first Derby and now switched to the Merkur, and I get a much closer and comfortable shave with the Derby, but YMMV.

Yea, I completely agree with Marty. I tried the Merkur's the past 2 shaves and found that they aren't as good a shave on my face as the Derby's. You can't go wrong with the sampler it seems.

I have a pretty sensitive skin as well and I started out with the Gillette Platinum blades which gave me irritation free and nice comfortable shaves (not BBS, still learning). Right now I'm trying out the Derby's but until now I think the Gillettes give me a more enjoyable shave, however I have only used one Derby.

After the Derby's I will try out the Feathers after which I will try out the Israeli's.

Sampler packs are the only way to go to come up with good material which is personalized according to your own requirements and shaving preferences!

Top Bottom