What's new

Best artisan brush makers?

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Where do you recommend I go for breathtaking brushes thatare relatively affordable?

What do you consider "relatively affordable" ?

If you're talking $150 or less for a nice badger brush, then Rudy can take care of you for sure. I would also second the recommendation of Derek & Wild West Brushworks (you can find his storefront on Etsy) and I would also give a strong recommendation to Rob (Chisel & Hound) that guy is at the absolute top of his game and turns some stunning brushes. Sells through his website which you can google. His friend John (Grizzly Bay) also makes a really nice brush but I think he's taking a break at the moment, but I assume will continue to turn some handles in the future.

Peter Wolf aka Wolf Whiskers makes a stunning brush as well, but you have to get on his waiting list and be patient.

And someone also mentioned Bob @ Elite Razor, another first class gentleman who makes a really nice brush.

If you want to take the next step and are willing to pay in the $150-250 range then you can look at Paladin or Brad Sears, who make outstanding brushes.

Last edited:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Finally, having said all that, I think the absolute best deals around on stunning brushes can be found right here on this website on the old BST. Hands down one of the best places to shop for brushes.

Prometheus Handcrafts!! Here’s some brushes of theirs that I own.

B8DB7DA0-5166-4CF0-933F-49B8E344750E.jpeg
Heat treated pine brush
4FFBAB0F-A6A1-4B8D-97FA-4F40EC254D3E.jpeg
RWB brush that I had made, Maggard SHD fan
14FECEE5-EABC-4536-9D29-3EB9BE7EFD8C.jpeg
Wood burl handle that I commissioned
BB578C5A-8CA5-4EE8-A30A-233C5F7A97D9.jpegBCC039EF-F7D9-42BA-BF79-9A9E823CA076.jpeg
Handle made from a heat sensitive resin
C1F5F296-E363-4317-B58F-F3E2E9831A90.jpeg

The butterscotch handle is a recent commission that they’re working on for me, they’ll be setting a hand-tied fan knot inside. Their knots give DG a run for their money IMO, though I think this commission of mine used up the last of their badger hair. 😂

I wanted a resin that matched Varlet’s Radiogram color, and Prometheus did a phenomenal job— I can hardly tell the difference.

They’re pretty responsive and have a decent turnaround time. Unless your commission is really far out they can tackle just about any project.

I've got an AP Shave Co (member here) G5A knot brush coming and can't wait till it gets here. I've heard nothing but good things about this brush. I missed out on some cooler handles, but with this place you have to act fast or all of the best and most desirable handles are gone in a few minutes.

Another vote for Rudy Vey
57310DA6-E9CC-43A1-A979-D2327F7C19E9.jpeg
33AD9986-C58F-45DA-8C27-1091908CB1E9.jpeg
7624EADB-B820-4F3C-93B5-BE4B989CB48F.jpeg

I also have 2 synthetic knot brushes from AP Shave Co. they were both inexpensive and good values. It is not fair to either to compare because they are so different.
6A4BC5DA-3B06-4080-A8D9-EE7E554ED07D.jpeg
B69985FE-20F7-4A5B-A572-7FE1BBE3A0BF.jpeg

I've got an AP Shave Co (member here) G5A knot brush coming and can't wait till it gets here. I've heard nothing but good things about this brush. I missed out on some cooler handles, but with this place you have to act fast or all of the best and most desirable handles are gone in a few minutes.
I understand you can message him directly to secure one of the custom brushes outside of a drop

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My favourites are Elite (amazing stone handles) and Spiffo (small Canadian maker).

Rudy is a given.
I recently got one of Bob's (Elite Razor) Bloody Basin Jasper handles with a Manchurian knot...... it's a work of art.... incredibly beautiful. Actual stone handles can be quite unique and this one is.

Aren't most "artisan" brushes made by people who make a handle and stick a premade knot from China in it? If I'm wrong, please educate me. The only brushes I own are from the British brush making firms.

Aren't most "artisan" brushes made by people who make a handle and stick a premade knot from China in it? If I'm wrong, please educate me. The only brushes I own are from the British brush making firms.
Many do. Declaration Grooming absolutely does not. Declaration Grooming knots are tied in house in the US.

Last edited:
Top Bottom