What's new

Best and worst Halloween candy?

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Bit O Honey, Chic o Stix, and those caramel kinda candies that were wrapped in the orange and black wrappers.

Along with the full sized candy bars I remember a few times getting a can of pop. Neat treat but it weighed down the bag!

Not a worst candy bar, but having to wait for someone to dig out some change for the Unicef box got old quickly, as you'd be waiting for some change and your friends would abandon you to get to more houses. (This was back when kids could wander the town unsupervised.)

Don't forget the Coneheads on SNL giving out fried eggs and cans of beer to the kids.
Friendly neighbour Bill Murray drops by to set them straight.
Sadly, I cannot find a youtube clip of it.

My grandmother was old school, as in 19th century rural impoverished old school. On Halloween we got a returnable glass bottle of RC Cola and a banana. Sounds weird now, but we all loved her and genuinely appreciated her "treats."

My favorites were always the chocolate bars. Snickers, Kit Kat, 3 Musketeers, etc.

Good & plenty
Milk duds

Never liked Rock candy, to this day I still don't know what it was made from. And that was 65 years ago.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Rock candy is just crystallized sugar. One science experiment we did was to make a super saturated solution of sugar in water, drop a weighted string into it, and watch the crystals form on it as the solution cooled. Weren't allowed to eat it, of course. OTOH, you could get some off the inside edge of the cane syrup jars.

Was never a big fan of rock candy, but my father thought we should have it at Christmas, along with raisins on the stem. Where he got the latter, I don't know, but you could sometimes find rock candy for sale in the local drug stores.

Hard candy is something a bit different. It's not crystallized, but is still sugar.

Top Bottom