What's new

Best aluminium DE razor ?

linty1

My wallet cries.
The Timeless Aluminum mentioned, I found -very- efficient, but the Karve comes also in aluminum and you can choose your plate, I've been eyeing those too as I enjoy light/aluminum razors as well.

I just had my first shave with a Lupo Al. Right side: EJ DE89; Left side: Lupo Al. (I put a dab of Vaseline on the threads, before assembling the handle.)

The Lupo had a fresh Feather blade. Very close-tolerance fit of the blade into the head, no wiggle at all. The DE89 had an almost-fresh Feather blade.

It was interesting. The Lupo is _really_ light (32 grams, with blade), and let me control _exactly_ how much pressure I was putting on the razor. I'm usually extra-careful with a fresh Feather, but I was quite relaxed with the Lupo. It's quiet, but the "feel" of the hairs being cut was clear.

I think the Lupo Al is a bit milder than the DE89. I have no measurements.

The two razors were equally effective at removing hair. I haven't tried the Lupo on a 2-day beard yet -- sometime this week, probably.

If anyone wants to play with Frankerazors, the Lupo threads fit the DE89 handle.

So based on one comparison shave -- yes, the Lupo Al is a very nice razor.

. Charles

The Timeless Aluminum mentioned, I found -very- efficient, but the Karve comes also in aluminum and you can choose your plate, I've been eyeing those too as I enjoy light/aluminum razors as well.
what karve plate would you put the timeless at if you wanted a comparable efficiency. i am about to pull the trigger on a karve but really want a timeless to go along with my timeless ti slim which i love

linty1

My wallet cries.
what karve plate would you put the timeless at if you wanted a comparable efficiency. i am about to pull the trigger on a karve but really want a timeless to go along with my timeless ti slim which i love
Hey there, I don't have a Karve aluminum, its something I looked at a few times, I think I had decided on a -c- plate? But this is based on reading a few threads and making my own mental choice, not comparing it to the Timeless alum (which I do have). I haven't really had the itch to get another razor atm so standing pat for now.

Let us know which plate you choose and how you enjoy it though, adds to the knowledge for future searchers.

I don't know if it's "the best", which is such a subjective point of view, but .....
My Timeless Aluminum with a Feather blade ..... Always a smooth, easy, three pass BBS shave.

B45C6FF9-D0FB-4E3F-B84A-AC8184B138CC_4_5005_c.jpeg

These are my "best" aluminum razors:

1) Standard Razor
2) Henson (medium)
3) Timeless

I sold an aluminum Lupo and Baby Smooth because I didn't find them as effective or as smooth as the ones listed above.

The Standard is actually my favorite razor. It gives me a BBS shave after two passes with zero irritation (unless I do something stupid).

Efficiency: Standard > Timeless > Henson
Smoothness: Standard = Henson > Timeless

I think you made a wise choice with the RR aluminum Lupo. I love mine, and IMHO is not as mild a razor as some on this thread have expressed, but closer to medium aggression.

If the RR aluminum Lupo (.68) is too mild for you, I suggest you try an aluminum razor (such as the Karve, etc.) which has options for more aggressive heads, but prepare to spend a lot more than for a RR aluminum Lupo ($30) or Henson AL13 ($70).
I own one of the prototype Henson AL13 +++ (aggresive) razors, and it is #1 in my collection for smoothness, efficiency and safety (of 55 razors). There are a few more Henson AL13 +++ heads out there, and I suggest putting a "Want to Buy" request for an AL13 +++ in the forums. Unfortunately, it is unlikely that Henson will manufacture this version, since it is not within their business model (at this time). The Henson Ti22 +++ (aggressive) shaves similar to the aluminum version but weighs in at 2.7 ounces (76.5 grams) versus the AL13+++ at 1.34 ounces (38 grams). I have both, and prefer the aluminum version.

Let us know how you like or dislike the aluminum Lupo, after you have several shaves with it.

M

Member 113878

My choice would be the Karve with the plate(s) of your choice.

I love my ATT Windsor Pro SB90. It shaves close and smooth without being too mild. I've tried many razors over the last 9 years that I have been with B&B and the SB90 is perfect. I don't want to use the rest of my razors. Get it. You won't be sorry.

ATT_Speick.jpg

I'm using a vintage bakelite razor that has a w huge blade exposure and I'm quite happy with it. It is very light weight which is why I like it so much.

So, which aluminium razor would you say is the most aggressive? Karve with plate G?

Thanks.

Sami

The only aluminium razor I have is the Ikon Tek. I do like it but it is very aggressive - about the same as my Futur on #5, and slightly more aggressive than my Ikon B1 Standard, which in turn is noticeably more aggressive than a 2013+ R41.

As usual with Ikon razors you can buy the head only (about £31 on Shaving Time). I currently have mine on a THT titanium handle, which makes the whole thing extremely light and nimble.

The only aluminium razor I have is the Ikon Tek. I do like it but it is very aggressive - about the same as my Futur on #5, and slightly more aggressive than my Ikon B1 Standard, which in turn is noticeably more aggressive than a 2013+ R41.

As usual with Ikon razors you can buy the head only (about £31 on Shaving Time). I currently have mine on a THT titanium handle, which makes the whole thing extremely light and nimble.
I had a Ikon Tech but I found it difficult to align the blade correctly... But it is a very good option indeed.

Thanks.

I had a Ikon Tech but I found it difficult to align the blade correctly... But it is a very good option indeed.

Thanks.
Good point. I find the blade *usually* sits straight first time in the Tek, but not every time. I mainly use their stainless steel B1 now, which does align the blade properly every time. Of course the stainless heads are heavier and more expensive.

Top Bottom