What's new

Best aluminium DE razor ?

Ahh -- it's a policy decision -- an e-mail from Italian Barber (from an old thread on the Lupo Al, on B&B forum):
----------------------------------
It's a mild shaver, not very aggressive in my opinion.

We don't publish stats on the aluminum razors.

Kind Regards,
Tom​
-----------------------------------​

. Charles

Henson is a great razor. I liked the AL13 so much I bought the titanium Ti22.

Never tried any of the other aluminum options, but have been tempted to try the ATT aluminum Windsor Pro.

the pistons in car and motorcycle engines lead a pretty tough life, and mostly survive. Aluminum has a pretty high stiffness-to -weight ratio, and a good strength-to-weight ratio. In a drop, the forces depend on the weight of the raz or,. So an Al razr is weaker than a SS razor, but needs less force to stop it.

. Charles
Fair point but a razor isn't an engine block. Would imagine if you drop it on ceramic tile something is going to bend even if it's a 4 foot drop. Luckily I don't like mild razors so I won't be finding out for myself.

I've been looking around for an aluminium DE preferably something on the higher efficiency scale, these are some I came across all recommendations are most welcome
My current favorite aluminum DE is the Fine Premium Slant Razor:
SOTD-FSGT-Y_2021-09-02.jpg

I like the original very much (32g) but prefer it with the magical lightweight hollow GT handle as shown above (and made by my good B&B friend, machinist magician Doug (@Rosseforp)) which brings the razor's total weight down to 27g.

In case you hadn't guessed, I'm a Lightweight Handle Fanboy (LHF). :biggrin:

The aluminum Lupo is one of my favorite razors. it‘s kind to my skin and a good daily shaver. It has a unique feeling as it shaves... almost like brushing the hair away rather than cutting.

The paa allu slant I had was on the agressive side but a bit to much to my taste.
the allu gb tech was no slouch but you might want more.
I sold both
Just bought a Henson medium from a board member which I hope to be on the mild side else I will give it to a shave bud
Ivo, you are going to love the Henson.

Thanks for all the suggestions just pulled the trigger on a RR alu Lupo it's my first aluminium so let's see if it's for me before I break the bank ✌

M

Member 113878

I had one, and if I remember well, the safety bar had a squary shape edge that I found uncomfortable on the skin when shaving.

Late to the party I guess…but…
I’m about 6 weeks in with my Karve Aluminum and it’s been a RAD killer.
I was using SS razors most often before getting the Aluminum and adjusting to the weight difference wasn’t an issue at all.
Hopefully the Lupo works well for you!
I like my Razorocks, but honestly I wish I had just gone with the Karve when I first got wind of them rather than climbing my way up.

Late to the party I guess…but…
I’m about 6 weeks in with my Karve Aluminum and it’s been a RAD killer.
I was using SS razors most often before getting the Aluminum and adjusting to the weight difference wasn’t an issue at all.
Hopefully the Lupo works well for you!
I like my Razorocks, but honestly I wish I had just gone with the Karve when I first got wind of them rather than climbing my way up.
Yes if it wasn't for the ridiculous shipping rates + the additional import fees since brexit I would have gone with the Alu karve therefore I decided to give the lupo a chance which is only 35 euro and available here, too bad karve still doesn't collaborate with some EU vendors

G

Guest2023

+1 Henson. I wish they had not raised the price though. It could have been the greatest bang for the buck razor if the price had remained the same.

+1 Henson. I wish they had not raised the price though. It could have been the greatest bang for the buck razor if the price had remained the same.
Tried the henson AL but since I'm a every 2/3 day shaver I need something more efficient however I didn't tried the medium yet

Yes if it wasn't for the ridiculous shipping rates + the additional import fees since brexit I would have gone with the Alu karve therefore I decided to give the lupo a chance which is only 35 euro and available here, too bad karve still doesn't collaborate with some EU vendors
Ok, yeah, I feel you on the import/shipping situation. I’m in Canada and shipping from the U.S. can be troublesome, and depending on the carrier, sometimes border on extortion. Costs from the U.K./Europe are even more eye watering.
In the case of DE shaving however Karve, Razorock, and Henson are all Canadian based so happy days!

I circled the Henson for a while. But at the end of the day, with the current pricing, for an extra $12 CDN or something silly like that, you can get the Karve Aluminum.
As I said above I was kind of over doing the whole “not what I really want, but a bit more affordable “ thing.
Sometimes you just gotta “Treat Yo’ self”

Top Bottom