• Schick Quattro Titanium

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Personna Caliber 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other (Please write in response)

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
hello i am looking for the best alternative to Gillette Fusion Proglide
My goal: shaving close like Gillette (or even a little less close) and also the razor will be smooth on the skin as gillette, and of course the most important thing - lower cost in general, and also Low cost long term.
I have to say: I have thick+dense bristles and sensitive skin.

These are the alternatives I have been thinking about:
Dorco Pace 6 Plus
Dorco Pace 4
Schick Hydro 5 Sense Sensitive
Schick Hydro 3
Schick Quattro Titanium
Personna Caliber 5

Other suggestions are welcome, except: the dollar shave club or something else (I live in Europe), and also any razor from Gillette company.

Many Thanks for your help , and have a fantastic day :)

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 / Mühle R89.
Blade: Feather, Kai ... Gillette Sliver Blue ... Astra green ... Gillette Wilkinson (India); considering a thick and dense beard, I wouldn't go lover in sharpness than that.

BUT: focus on prep!!! (pre-shave routine, good lather etc.)

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 / Mühle R89.
Blade: Feather, Kai ... Gillette Sliver Blue ... Gillette Wilkinson (India); considering a thick and dense beard, I wouldn't go lover in sharpness than that.

BUT: focus on prep!!! (pre-shave routine, good lather etc.)

I tried Edwin Jagger safety razor and other companies and did not like it. I always got cuts in the against the grain pass (i have thick+dense bristles).
I prefer the cartridges, also result in more effective and smooth with cartridges i'm sure in 100%..

Well, the razor doesn't cut, it's you (or your technique). I would say, if you have a dense, course, thick beard, cartridges don't work normally (that's the main reason, why people switch to DE shaving). I can't even use the Fusion Progilde Power blades, because it's only tugging and pulling, not really cutting the hair.

But ok, if you want to use the carts. I mean, they are more convenient I'm sure. The problem is, there are no better cart-blades out there other than the Fusion Proglide Power (those with the little combs in contrast to the normal Proglide blades), that was also a conculsion of several consumer report tests in Germany, and those are sadly the most expensive ones. But with your beard, I don't really see an alternative in the cart-world for you, I'm sorry.

Well, the razor doesn't cut, it's you (or your technique). I would say, if you have a dense, course, thick beard, cartridges don't work normally (that's the main reason, why people switch to DE shaving). I can't even use the Fusion Progilde Power blades, because it's only tugging and pulling, not really cutting the hair.

But ok, if you want to use the carts. I mean, they are more convenient I'm sure. The problem is, there are no better cart-blades out there other than the Fusion Proglide Power (those with the little combs in contrast to the normal Proglide blades), that was also a conculsion of several consumer report tests in Germany, and those are sadly the most expensive ones. But with your beard, I don't really see an alternative in the cart-world for you, I'm sorry.
Maybe he just doesnt like DEs and they dont work for him. It happens. Not everyone likes DEs.
To answer the OP's question, Id probably go with the Dorco Pace 4 or Schick Hydro 3. Ive used both and while I find them to be a bit tuggy, they do give a good shave.
You could also try the Bic options. I use the Bic Sensitive when I travel because its the only single-blade disposable that I can find but the twin blade and 3-blade Bics are decent too.
Another option could be the Schick ST2. Ive used those before and they are good too. Those are cool too because they have a little clean out button that pushes any hairs out that might get caught between the blades.

If you are looking for a cart razor similar to Gillette Fusion, try Harrys, assume they are in Europe? The shave is very similar. They are less expensive, last about as many shaves as Fusion, all around very worthy competitor to Gillette. IMHO.

On the list, I would go for the Quattro or Caliber5. Not on the list, I would consider the Personna GT5, aka Quattro5.

If you want smooth on the skin, then the Schick Hydro 5 is the choice. Harry’s gives a decent shave, but not very smooth. Dorco 6+ felt horrible on my face, like it was scraping my skin off. And of course, as usual, YMMV, so it may be worth it to try a couple and see what you like.

If you want smooth on the skin, then the Schick Hydro 5 is the choice. Harry’s gives a decent shave, but not very smooth. Dorco 6+ felt horrible on my face, like it was scraping my skin off. And of course, as usual, YMMV, so it may be worth it to try a couple and see what you like.
Sadly in the UK, Edgewell are now pricing their carts comparative to Gillette. So the Hydro5 is out. I wasn't a fan of the gel reservoirs either, and the Hydro3 is too awkward around the nose too. To add to the matter, the original version of the Hydros are now the leading private label product.

The cartridge I use the most is a Dorco 7. It works better for me than Dorco 4 or Dorco 6 as the latter two tend to give me razor burn. Dorco 3 works well too. I'm still evaluating the Dorco 5 but so far it is better than a 4 or 6. If you have been using a Power Fusion then the Dorco Power with the Dorco 7 cartridge might be your best choice. I like others too, but these are my favorites both in shave quality and price. They also last longer than the Fusion, much longer.

Top Bottom