What's new

Best Album From the Psychedelic Era

Two essentials that I love..

King Crimson - Court of the Crimson King
Yes - Close to the edge.

It doesn't get any better than these two... Oh.. Rush is a close 3rd...
In my book all of these are clearly in the progressive genre.
Yes even invented the genre, no?
Indeed, they all have elements of psychedelica, but they have little to do with the SF scene of he mid-sixties, that was the bench-mark.

My wife's out tonight so I'm working my way through a bottle of cheap wine and listening to some old stuff on my tube amp/LS3/5As system. I think Meddle gets my vote - I'd forgotten how good it was.

Meddle does it for me. Just put the head phones on, and set the volume. Instant flashbacks.

Honorable mentions:
Frank Zappa
Doors
Hawkwind
Jimi Hendrix
King Crimson
Yes

Well, as anyone who's seen my lastfm profile will know I listen to a lot of psychedelia - tho I favour whimsical British psyche over the more spaced out American scene.

My favourite album of the period has to be the Zombies' 'Oracle & Odessey'. Everyone knows 'Time of the Season' but that's a little out of place on an album of well crafted pop songs - several of which are masterpieces... 'Care of Cell 44' features sublime harmonies, with a neat lyrical twist of a boy writing to his imprisoned girlfriend, then there's the beautiful agony of 'A Rose For Emily' and those are just the first two tracks! This is an album about love, loss, moving on, sadness and happiness.

I have wept listening to this record, it's that beautiful. I was lucky enough to see the remaining band members perform the entire album on stage, for the very last time, and to meet several of them after the show - there was a bit of fawning :001_smile

My lastfm profile's at psycheceri

Piper is my favorite album, but for just a single song I like Procol Harum's Whiter Shade of Pale. (not really sure if that counts as psychedelic but with the organ and all I'll give it to em.)

Whiter Shade of Pale is a great song but I am unsure if it was an album track..if so I haven't heard the entire Procol Harem Album.

In a tie in of the two I believe Graham Broad the drummer for Procol Harem is currently the drummer for Roger Waters band.

Waters is great but PF was a different creature under Barrett's leadership...It was more magical :thumbup1:.

Wp

How about Moby Grape?
Their first, selftitled album is a strong album from the early SF scene.
But not strong enough to be "the best album" IMO. (YMMV :biggrin1: )

Skip Spence from Moby Grape started out in Quicksilver Messenger Service, got drafted to Jefferson Airplane, played drums on their debut "Takes Off" & then left to start Moby Grape.
After the infamous "running amok with a fire-axe on LSD" incident he crashed badly, re-surface to record the utterly strange alum "Oar" that really need some work to "get" (but it's worth it!) before he disappeared in a haze of drugs & mental illness. His faith is somewhat similar to that of Syd Barret.

To me, these albums best represent a psychedelic experience:
Grateful Dead - Anthem of the Sun
Fleetwood Mac - Then Play On
Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour

Skip Spence from Moby Grape started out in Quicksilver Messenger Service, got drafted to Jefferson Airplane, played drums on their debut "Takes Off" & then left to start Moby Grape.

Speaking of Quicksilver and Jefferson Airplane it is great to see both Paul Kantner and David Frieberg back in Jefferson Starship. Their more recent work has almost taken away the bitter sting of late eighties "Starship" albums which came after both Kantner and Frieberg left.
Wp

Speaking of Quicksilver and Jefferson Airplane it is great to see both Paul Kantner and David Frieberg back in Jefferson Starship. Their more recent work has almost taken away the bitter sting of late eighties "Starship" albums which came after both Kantner and Frieberg left.
Wp

Don't forget Hot Tuna. Saw them this summer, and they were great.

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
is the album that set my antenna quivering back in the day. That one woke me up to what was going on.

The other albums which I wore the grooves out completely:

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
Cream - Wheels of Fire
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King

Top Bottom