What's new

Best Album From the Psychedelic Era

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Which album do you think was the best of psychedelic era? Of course, when people think of this era The Beatles' Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band comes to mind. Some of those tracks have withstood the test of time while others sound dated. Although an obvious choice it remains an important recording in the annals of rock history and therefore gets my nod as the best album of that era.

However, there were so many great albums from this era in rock history from groups/artists such as Pink Floyd, The Jefferson Airplane, Love, Jimi Hendrix, The Grateful Dead, The Doors and so many more.

Which album gets your nod for best album of the psychedelic era?

You know mine. :rolleyes:

The very best has to Easter Everywhere by the 13th Floor Elevators. Some real gems on this disc: Slip Inside this House, Levitation, Dust, She Lives, I Had to Tell You... really, the whole album is genius.

Good times, good times.

I hate to do this - but we can get much more modern than that. :)

Get "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space" by Spiritualized. THAT is some brilliant psychedelic music.

Also highly recommended are the Brian Jonestown Massacre (though less psychedelic, they follow in the absolute direction of the brit invasion of the 60's and have recorded in a very, very prolific manner) and the Dandy Warhols.

In fact, there's a great documentary movie called 'DiG!' about the two bands, which I highly recommend to ANY fan of music.

The very best has to Easter Everywhere by the 13th Floor Elevators. Some real gems on this disc: Slip Inside this House, Levitation, Dust, She Lives, I Had to Tell You... really, the whole album is genius.

Good times, good times.

I can't believe that someone else knows who the 13th Floor Elevators is! That is amazing! I totally agree that Easter Everywhere is the best album of the Psychedelic era. Didn't they coin the phrase "psychedelic." :yikes:

I can't believe that someone else knows who the 13th Floor Elevators is!...
Highly recommend this documentary about Roky Erickson and the band...

And if I had to cast a vote here, it'd be for Electric Ladyland. I think it goes well beyond "psychedelic," but it's certainly from the era. There are plenty of albums that better typify "acid rock," and plenty of less-obvious niche offerings that deserve more credit than they get, but...it's Hendrix at the peak of his powers. Game over.

There are other periods that I prefer

(e.g. "Beggars Banquet" and "Let It Bleed" trounce their predecessor, "Their Satanic Majesties Request")

If I had to pick an album with a psychedelic flavour it would be:

Electric Ladyland

Hmmm, tough call.

Some of my fave bands cranking out psyhedelic music in that period are Grateful Dead, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Cream; Too many to list. Now I gotta come up with one album from one band? Brain freeze!

proxy.php

M

modern man

I wasn't around back then but.

Electric Ladyland, American Beauity or Workingmans Dead (any thing by the dead) are pretty groovey.

My pick (ouch is going to hate me for this one).

proxy.php

A Saucerful of Secrets is good too.

I'd have to pick The Doors, but deciding between albums would be difficult. Their first 3 albums are absolute gems, and so is LA Woman.

The Beatles' Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band comes to mind. S

May I just say that they have two of the Sgt. Peppers uniforms at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame here in Cleveland, and it always gives me butterflies to stand in front of them in person. They're probably my favorite artifacts in the entire museum.

I can't believe that someone else knows who the 13th Floor Elevators is! That is amazing! I totally agree that Easter Everywhere is the best album of the Psychedelic era. Didn't they coin the phrase "psychedelic." :yikes:

There are a few of us around. And yes, the Elevators were the first to use the term "psychedelic" in reference to music with their debut "The Psychedelic Sounds of". Which is another screamer of an album.

Endcycle- I love me some Spiritualized but I would pick Spaceman 3's The Perfect Prescription for the best of more contemporary psychedelic music. Followed closely by Good Morning, Spider by Sparklehorse.

Piper at the Gates is awesome. Pretty much the entire catalog of Funkadelic could also be listed. Can is freaking great as well.

Endcycle- I love me some Spiritualized but I would pick Spaceman 3's The Perfect Prescription for the best of more contemporary psychedelic music. Followed closely by Good Morning, Spider by Sparklehorse.

Spacemen 3 was the previous incarnation of Spiritualized- which is part of the reason I love them.... and Perfect Prescription is definitely one of my faves too. Good call!

Jefferson Airplane, "Jefferson Airplane Takes Off "

Come on guys, Grace Slick....White Rabbit, Somebody To Love....

What else can I say...

Top Bottom