What's new

Bengali razor date?

Hello,

I received a Bengali straight razor in a lot together with other razors. First I did not paid much attention to it, as it was quite rusty but it cleaned up very well. So I tried to hone it and this was quite easy. It's geometry is fine and I was able to get a keen edge within 15min. My first shave was great. A mild but very clean shave.

Now it is in my rotation and I'm giving it a run few times a month. But I was not able to find any information about the production period. It was no "cast steel" stamp. Does this mean it was mean produced after 1840? Is it possible to give a more or less precise time period?

I really appreciate any information on it.

Thanks

Sami

edited_IMG_20231017_212922.jpg
edited_IMG_20231017_212929.jpg
IMG_20231017_213003.jpg

Thank you very much. But did razor makers at these times did not stamp "Sheffield" on the tang and after 1891 "England"?

The shape of the blade indeed suggests 1880s...

Legion

Staff member
Thank you very much. But did razor makers at these times did not stamp "Sheffield" on the tang and after 1891 "England"?

The shape of the blade indeed suggests 1880s...
Usually they said Sheffield, but not always. I suppose if it was intended for domestic sales, the need to write Sheffield was redundant, as it would be taken for granted. It could be a little older, but I'd be fairly confident it is from the second half of the 19th century.

Thank you very much. This is far more information than I was able to find in the Internet since I received the razor one month ago. I really appreciate.

Legion

Staff member
Scale material can be a tell as well, from the ones I've had. Early ones, up to around the 1890's had horn scales like yours. Then, up until about WW1 they seemed to have hard rubber scales. Then, from the depression era until Cadman folded they mostly had either cream or black plastic scales (though they did do them in ivory as well, but they are fairly rare).

Thank you very much for the insight.

So far I did not consider that much Bengall razors because they looked not really tempting to me. But today's shave was a real joy. Very smooth and very clean. The razor kept its keenness. It seems that Bengalls do not get the attention they deserve. This is my only Bengall and I will try to get another one, hopefully with a wider blade.

Legion

Staff member
They are a very solid razor, and their QC was excellent.

Huge numbers were exported to Australia, so they are about the most common razor to find here. Apparently most of Cadmans production was made for export to the British colonies. I've had dozens pass through my collection, and have yet to find one with a manufacturing issue. In fact, with all my various razors, a Bengall is my currant daily driver razor.

Last edited:
Top Bottom