What's new

Beginner Sampler - Find Out What You Like

I was wondering what are some good cigar samplers or just single cigars to "find out what you like". My goal is to figure out what type of bodied cigar I prefer (mild, mild/medium, medium, medium/full, full). If you could please recommend a few "starter" cigars in each category that would be greatly appreciated. I also got this sampler from Cigar International!!

What type of cigars have you tried in the past that you enjoyed and hated? What is your budget? Do you know what sizes you like? I'm not really sure what to suggest since those 10 are a bit all over the place. Though with the new humidor make sure to season it before you put any of the cigars in there. Macundo is the best brand of cigar I was able to get in the US, I like the nutty taste I get from it.

Wow. This is a tough one to answer and Hunter hit the nail on the head...it all depends on where you stand regarding flavors, length of smoke, etc. If you've never tried a cigar before, some people recommend starting out with a milder cigar first and then working your way up in both size and strength until you figure out where your "sweet" spot is. That being said, I did none of that. If you live near a B&M tobacconist, it's well worth the effort to do some reading on the different types of tobaccos, wrappers, manufacturers, etc. and getting an idea of what you think you might like. Then head down to the store with this in mind and talk to the tobacconist who can probably recommend some good starting points. Personally, I like medium to strong flavored cigars. I think reputable cigar-makers who make consistently good products are probably your best starting point (CAO, Partagas, Arturo Fuente, Cohiba, are all great starts in my opinion). With these makers you can generally depend on the fact that it's a quality product, so if you don't like it, it's probably the type of cigar. Again, that's just my opinion, YMMV. Good luck with the adventure.

The cigars I have tried are: Acid Toast, Acid Kuba Kuba, La Aurora 107 (not sure which one but is was not the Lancero or the Belicoso), and a Flor De Adela. I cannot tell you which I liked more or really any details because I do not remember. I am looking for something that is all over the place to help me get an idea of what I like, I just don't want to pick at random. I guess if you have some brands that I should try from or know of a sampler that has a few of each type of cigar that would work.

It is hard for me to say because I have a preference for Cuban cigars which you can't legally get your hands on. The non-cuban variants are good but not as good. A local B&M is your best bet as they might be able to help you find what you are after and maybe set up a mixed box for you. I did see that CI has a 40 cigar sampler, that might do the trick for you. When you are smoking keep a journal of how the smoke is going from first lighting up, each third, and how to feel about it once it is done. Then when you are done the samples you can figure out what you liked more than others. For brands to try Davidoff and Macundo are the two non cuban brands I like, give them a shot, try the non-cuban Cohiba and Romeo Y Julieta, They are good just not as good as the original.

Last edited:
The cigars I have tried are: Acid Toast, Acid Kuba Kuba, La Aurora 107 (not sure which one but is was not the Lancero or the Belicoso), and a Flor De Adela. I cannot tell you which I liked more or really any details because I do not remember. I am looking for something that is all over the place to help me get an idea of what I like, I just don't want to pick at random. I guess if you have some brands that I should try from or know of a sampler that has a few of each type of cigar that would work.

Ha nice, I rarely find guys who like the Kuba Kuba because of the floral notes on the foot. Good stick though!

Hunter hit it on the head though. Definitely go to your local shops if you have one (Not a smoke shop, an actual Cigar/Tobacco shop) and just ask the guys in there what they recommend. Took me about 6 months to casually weave through the okay ones and find a winner.

Took me about that long to find my love of all things Romeo Y Julieta. My TAD is pretty bad right now after going to my tobacconist and talking to them about how to season the humidor I'm getting later this week. They have a walk in humidor of happiness!

Top Bottom