What's new

Beets

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
A few things I like to do with beets...

1-Pickled beets
2-Beet salad (cooked beets, orange, olive oil and a bit of vinegar)
3-Beet spice cake. There are a few Pumpkin spice cakes, replace the pumpkin for beets
4-Borscht soup.

No real suggestions for the beets (I've only ever roasted them), but if you have the greens, be sure to use those too.

Beet Vinaigrette

Basically roast the beets and puree then make a dressing with vin and oil.

If this is something you are interested in I will send you a recipe.

I used it in a carrot and goat cheese terrine but would be good on a salad among other applications. I also have the recipe for the terrine.

Enjoy

Jim, my GF makes a fantastic beet soup:

Roast Beets --> Puree --> Heat and serve with a teaspoon of sour cream

other variations are easy to think of!

Borscht for sure
Boil some down cut um up, save the juice, in a large jar put them in with a bunch of hard boiled eggs (peeled) fill with white viniger, about a week you have wonderfull pickeld eggs.

Barszcz (POLISH beet soup... served hot w/ dumplings, no sour cream). In fact, were it not for barszcz, I would wonder why beets even existed. IMHO, they are a vile veg, but then again having been forced to eat them as a child may have colored my perceptions just a tad.

My suggestion: Wear old clothes. Put out the raggedy kitchen towel or wash cloths. Rinse everything immediately.

Beet risotto. The color is amazing. Add the chopped up greens if you have them and top with crumbled goat cheese. I'm going to have to go get some now...

Haven't been on B&B in a couple of months, but I wasn't about to miss a good discussion on BEETS! :lol:

I like boiled beet roots and you can even saute the boiled beets in butter and salt if you're inclined... oohhh... oohh, I'd better stop thinking about beets now.

<<deep breath>>

Ok, I think I can continue now.

DON'T forget to enjoy those uber-healthy beet greens. I remember when my mom would take me to the farmers market and the beet farmers would have boxes and boxes of waste greens that they'd removed at the request of customers. She'd ask nice and politely if they had any left-over beet greens they wanted to get rid of... and they were often all to happy to hand over bushel baskets of the stuff. Now I didn't exactly LOVE them at that age, but I did appreciate them... I always enjoyed stong flavored foods, but now a days, I can't get any free greens anymore. Most of the farmers do a much better job of educating customers about the utility of both products, or the beet greens were removed in the cleaning stage and brought to market de-greened. :crying:

... anyhoo. Greens can be steamed like kale or spinach, and don't forget the vinegar. Yum Yum!!!

Enjoy the beets fellas!

Just beat it

They make a great addition to a beef stew. One or two beets is enough, you don't want to over beet anything.

There are a bunch of really beet ideas at Allrecipes.com.

Last edited:
Blanch and peel them (rub them with an old towel that you don't mind staining) then toss them with some Herbs d'Provence and olive oil, place on a sheet pan and roast in a 375 oven until tender.

If they're good juicy beets you'll be left with wonderfully sweet/savory carmely beets with crisp edges and creamy centers. Lovely stuff!

The Mrs HATED beets until I intro'd her to fresh beets. Now, I'm getting sick of her brining them home for me to cook up!

Aaron

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Being Ukrainian I have to say these to are the best. Just dont eat to many beet pickles or you might be in for a surprise when you need to relieve yourself lol

That always happen to me...

Top Bottom