What's new

Beer blasphemy

I love craft beer, but when I'm at a ballgame or on a boat or the golf course I just don't want anything too heavy or hoppy or exotic in any way. I really like Modelo or Miller High Life ice cold out of a cooler on a hot day. If you did want to try something beer geek approved without going to an oak barrel aged habenero triple IPA that's only brewed during lunar eclipses... I would try German lagers. Weinenstephaner Original (not to be confused with their wheat beer mentioned above) is world class although you won't find that in your supermarket. You might have an easier time finding Spaten or Hofbrau.

I'm not a beer snob, but I guess I am a cider snob -- on the East Coast its really easy to find great local ciders. I like Docs. You might be able to find JK Scrumpy out of Michigan.

In Louisiana we get the good stuff at the super market! Actually my favorite place to get beer local is a meat market.

I love craft beers and recently I've gone towards IPA, sour and Gose brews but when I go camping, I always take Coors Light. It drinks like water to me and, I don't know, just takes me back to college.

Spitfire is one of my all time favorites! I had it on beer engine at the Spanish Galleon in Greenwich in 2000, and have been crossing my fingers that someone in Canada can come close to that flavour for the past 16 years.

Spitfire is available here in the states in some regions and in some parts of Canada. Check you local bottle shop that specializes in craft or imports. Keep searching. You might be surprised...I was. [emoji481]

Cheers,
JW

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Supermarket beer= Coors Original, The "Banquet Beer." Some of my friends even call me "Bandit" when I'm drinking it. I also really like Shiner Bock.

Luckily here in Michigan we have lots of craft brews. I'm very partial to New Holland's "Dragon's Milk" and, when I can get it, Founder's "Backwoods Bastard." Both are Bourbon Barrel aged.
Alaska Brewing Co. makes an excellent smoked Porter.
And pretty much anything The Mitten brewing company puts out is worth drinking

Adam

Beer blasphemy? Anything coming from a brewery younger than 300 years is blasphemy. :tongue_sm

My hometown just turned 750 years old. We have 3 beer breweries in my town, six in my district, and over 600 breweries in all of Bavaria. However, at the beginning of the 19th century, there were almost 30,000 breweries, most of them home breweries, in Bavaria!

The Weihenstephan monastery has had a brewery since at least the year 1040, Making this the oldest commercial German brewery.

I guess it depends what you mean by a "supermarket." Where I live, the North Dallas area, most large grocery stores stock quite a few craft beers. Some, like Sierra Nevada, are stocked at every grocery store I've gone to. Like several posters have said, Samuel Adams Lager, while not as huge as Bud, Miller, and Coors, is darn near everywhere and, IMHO, is certainly a good beer.

Reading some of the threads on various forums on here is humbling to say the least. Half of the drinks here and eats in The Mess Hall I can't even pronounce, much less have access to.

I feel like Coors Light and things like Sonic drive in are blasphemous to you guys lol

Anyways here's my question: on the off chance you're drinking supermarket beer, what is your go to? What do you recommend?

My dad likes Coors light, so I'll drink it, and I'm partial to Michalob ultra. We both enjoy the "summer brews" of each as well.

My wife likes the Reds apple ales, mikes hard lemonade and the like. So I'll drink one or two of those for good measure. What's your go to on those?

Well, MANY supermarkets carry craft brew now days.

I live in a town of 2,400 and we have 2 grocery stores that carry an awesome supply of craft brew.

I used to drink the hell out of busch light and still do if it's free.

I much prefer craft beer over that commercial stuff though.

I enjoy a ton of different craft beers, and luckily Louisiana has a great craft beer scene. Parish Brewing is right in my backyard and they're putting out excellent stuff.

But to be honest, as far as mass market brews it's hard to beat a cold Shiner Bock. Honorable mention goes to Fat Tire Ale, Sam Adams Cream Stout, or Fancy Lawnmower.

I can't drink most mass produced beer, it always gives me a headache and my face flushes. I have tried Yuengling, but the last couple times it was skunked. We live close to Great Lakes Brewery and they have a Dortmunder that is always good. The seasonal selections are also excellent.
I am not a beer snob, I just can't drink mass produced beer.

Last edited:
My brother in law is a micro brew conisieur. Literally he sells, judges, promotes craft beers for a living. He has never been a fan of the big breweries. Mostly due to the watered down lack of flavor. Ales were originally developed as a light beer. This was the for flavor and of course the alcohol but more so as a way to preserve a liquid. The ales and wines were safer to drink than the water.

I was a huge fan of coors light. Still love the crispness and cleanness of it. However, it is full of corn syrup. I talked with my brother in law. He told me it is amazing how these big companies in different parts of the country can make a mass produced beer and the flavor be the same. They are using different hops, yeast, water but can still produce the same taste. (I took that as a sales men's answer)

Don't worry about the snobbery around anything you consume - either via ingesting or externally. The only sensibilities the product has to please are your own, so enjoy!!
Can't beat a Yuengling or Labatts Blue: where I live in NY, I'm close enough to PA and Canada to love them as local beers

I was a huge fan of coors light. Still love the crispness and cleanness of it. However, it is full of corn syrup. I talked with my brother in law. He told me it is amazing how these big companies in different parts of the country can make a mass produced beer and the flavor be the same. They are using different hops, yeast, water but can still produce the same taste. (I took that as a sales men's answer)

I am a Master ranked BJCP beer judge, and I can confirm that (while Coors Light is not to my personal tastes) it is INCREDIBLY hard to make a beer that has so little to hide behind taste consistent and perfect year in and year out, millions upon millions of cases worth. It isn't the brewing technique that snobby beer people complain about, it is usually a combination of flavour and big biz vs small and local.

Genesee Cream Ale is my go to beer from the supermarket. Other than that, tend to drink stouts or porters.

I too mostly drink craft, and actually brew a lot of my own. But I think a lot of us here will drink it if it has an ABV. For cider I recommend either strongbow or Magner's, which is my favorite.

. It isn't the brewing technique that snobby beer people complain about, it is usually a combination of flavour and big biz vs small and local.

Life is too short for me to drink beer that I don't like, snobbishness has nothing to do with it.
I find Miller Lite ok on a hot day, but Coors and Bud either tasteless if cold, or putrid if even slightly warmed.
Too many hops, Blech. Too many ingredients or needing pieces of fruit in my beer, get outta here. Give me something that tastes good to me and I'm happy.

alishock

I wrap my lips around a lovely pipe
In NZ whilst the craft scene if massive some of the mainstream brewers do a great selection too.

Top Bottom