What's new

BeaverCleaverVille

I would dearly love to dress in clothing from the 30s or early 40s, but a lack of funds makes it difficult to even replace a modern shirt that has worn out. I do try to dress well with a vintage flavor, wearing a good fedora with nice trousers with proper button on braces, a nice shirt, bow tie or day cravat and a sports jacket. I am old enough now (I turn 62 in one month) that many of my every day clothes could almost be considered vintage. I admire people who can dress in totally vintage clothing and wish I had the means to pull off the same. If I ever won the lottery the third thing I would do would be to have a repro 1930s era suit or 2 made especially for me (the first 2 things on my lottery list is a huge donation to my shul and then paying off bills).
thrift stores can be your best friend. A little vintager trick...sometimes pieces are just too darn expensive I'll find a modern look alike and slip it in....by looking at your photo...if that's you..you're doing quite well..ace my friend!!

I would say my tastes tend toward very classic pieces, I wouldn't say trad but quite Northeast preppy for casual wear, I'm on the eternal quest for the perfect pair of chinos after finding the perfect pair of jeans from Gustin. Dockers K1 from 15 years ago were great, I wish I stockpiled them in hindsight.
Haha I'm sure many people are thinking that...preppie in the 50s were interesting..
$il_fullxfull.201899540-300x400.jpg

Since lurking here a year or more ago, I've developed a bit of fondness for vintage in certain areas - razors, fountain pens and dip pens, and a few items of clothing. The idea of being comfortable and also stylish is relatively new to me, as I didn't put much thought into style until recently (divorced, mid-life, not going through a crisis but reorienting my life towards what I want as opposed to what others have thought).

Hats - I have some leather hats (leather "golf caps"), which I enjoy quite a bit. I'm bald on top, so I need to wear a hat to avoid the dreaded "scalp sunburn", and was looking for something more than baseball caps.

Shirts - I like comfortable, not-too-tight shirts. I've always associated dress shirts with being uncomfortable. More recently, I've found that a decent buttondown with rolled-up sleeves works pretty well.

Vests - I would give a vintage nod here. I can see this as being a way to be "stylish" without adding too many layers. I typically wear a shirt, and a jacket for outside. 3 layers is pushing it for me (outside vest and jacket). But I do like vintage-style vests - I may end up purchasing a few replicas in the future.

Pants - I see pants as, well, pants.

Shoes - another area where vintage might look nice, but here style takes the back seat to comfort. I've never owned a pair of stylish shoes that were comfortable. I have a pair of goat-leather fine loafers with hard soles that look quite nice, but have the shock absorption/comfort of concrete.

Aside from wearing a vest or the right shoes, I don't see how I can quite work a "vintage" angle into a dress outfit of pants and a buttondown shirt without looking inappropriate. A Sherlock-Holmes styled long coat for cold weather would work, but I'd be concerned that it would be difficult to care for compared to a machine-washable fleece, or having a liner that isn't warm enough, or simply not being comfortable.

Back to your original post - it looks like you have nailed the "vintage look", which is impressive. If you have the aforementioned dress patterns, I would think that finding someone with a sewing machine where you could pay for the fabric and their sewing might work if you can't find what you are looking for dress-wise.

Since lurking here a year or more ago, I've developed a bit of fondness for vintage in certain areas - razors, fountain pens and dip pens, and a few items of clothing. The idea of being comfortable and also stylish is relatively new to me, as I didn't put much thought into style until recently (divorced, mid-life, not going through a crisis but reorienting my life towards what I want as opposed to what others have thought).

Hats - I have some leather hats (leather "golf caps"), which I enjoy quite a bit. I'm bald on top, so I need to wear a hat to avoid the dreaded "scalp sunburn", and was looking for something more than baseball caps.

Shirts - I like comfortable, not-too-tight shirts. I've always associated dress shirts with being uncomfortable. More recently, I've found that a decent buttondown with rolled-up sleeves works pretty well.

Vests - I would give a vintage nod here. I can see this as being a way to be "stylish" without adding too many layers. I typically wear a shirt, and a jacket for outside. 3 layers is pushing it for me (outside vest and jacket). But I do like vintage-style vests - I may end up purchasing a few replicas in the future.

Pants - I see pants as, well, pants.

Shoes - another area where vintage might look nice, but here style takes the back seat to comfort. I've never owned a pair of stylish shoes that were comfortable. I have a pair of goat-leather fine loafers with hard soles that look quite nice, but have the shock absorption/comfort of concrete.

Aside from wearing a vest or the right shoes, I don't see how I can quite work a "vintage" angle into a dress outfit of pants and a buttondown shirt without looking inappropriate. A Sherlock-Holmes styled long coat for cold weather would work, but I'd be concerned that it would be difficult to care for compared to a machine-washable fleece, or having a liner that isn't warm enough, or simply not being comfortable.

Back to your original post - it looks like you have nailed the "vintage look", which is impressive. If you have the aforementioned dress patterns, I would think that finding someone with a sewing machine where you could pay for the fabric and their sewing might work if you can't find what you are looking for dress-wise.
Care and maintenance is something I have had to work around. I tend to either hand wash or gentle cycle everything then line dry the lot...better safe then sorry.
and thanks for the compliment I try very hard. I'll post a few photos tmrw with the MIC and I go flea market crawling together :thumbup: When I have events is when I break out the "Sunday wear" go for gold stuff

I have a question for the OP; when adopting a vintage style, for whatever reason, how aware are you of the sometimes very subtle nuances of fashion of that time? At times the "rules" for fashion within the context of the time can not only be subtle, but rather firm at the same time. This is especially true for issues concerning age appropriate attire which can extend to things such as color, lengths, precise styling, hairstyling, etc.

While these matters might not be noticable today outside the older cultural context, at the time they would have been quite obvious (at least to those concerned with such things). For example, I don't think an adult woman in 1955 would have worn a poodle skirt even though a recreationist or just someone such as yourself who enjoys those types of fashions might have no problem with doing so.

Last edited:
I have a question for the OP; when adopting a vintage style, for whatever reason, how aware are you of the sometimes very subtle nuances of fashion of that time? At times the "rules" for fashion within the context of the time can not only be subtle, but rather firm at the same time. This is especially true for issues concerning age appropriate attire which can extend to things such as color, lengths, precise styling, hairstyling, etc.

While these matters might not be noticable today outside the older cultural context, at the time they would have been quite obvious (at least to those concerned with such things). For example, I don't think an adult woman in 1955 would have worn a poodle skirt even though a recreationist or just someone such as yourself who enjoys those types of fashions might have no problem with doing so.

Oh I'm well aware of what would have been age appropriate or not...but I often shift between housewife and college girl often and enjoy it thoroughly. I find focusing too much on the exact details would take the joy right out of it

I wish I still had my white leather pants from the 80's. Never had so much attention and complements from girls before or after.:lol:
Difficult to imagine what I used to wear and how it would look in public today.

I still have and cherish my Black leather Motorcycle jacket which is mid 70's vintage when I bought it used in the 80's. That is still and will always be badass!

Last edited:
I wish I still had my white leather pants from the 80's. Never had so much attention and complements from girls before or after. I still have and cherish my Black leather Motorcycle jacket which is mid 70's vintage when I bought it used in the 80's.
White leather pants ey? I'm sure those were.....awesome :thumbup:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!

Golden Boy! That's totally me!

I haven't worn my favorite pair of blue jeans in 4 years cause I can't fit in them. But they are my favorite because they have naturally, through every day wear, developed that faded hole in the jeans, tattered worn out look that was all the rage many years ago.

They developed a hole in the pocket wear I kept my keys, they have a perfect impression and outline where my wallet goes, the waist is perfectly shaped to fit me (well, was). And I didn't buy them that way. I MADE them that way through every day wear and tear and that's why they are my favorites and one day I will wear them again!!

Good ole Wranglers.

Last edited by a moderator:

As the MIC, I can tell you that the desire to wear vintage, as authentic as possible on a budget, is not LARPing it's an extension of a mindset that is outlined to some great effect by the book in the original post. The clothing minutiae are far less important than how she feels and approaches life on a daily basis.

See....I wear almost NO pants so I'm unsure what parts of the fashio you are referring to

not referring to pants but the pics in post 28, first three pics, the cut of the jackets are not very feminine or attractive. I really like the 4th pic...beautiful.

Last edited:
not referring to pants but the pics in post 28, first three pics, the cut of the jackets are not very feminine or attractive. I really like the 4th pic...beautiful.

Cuttingboard, I think one way to look at those pics is that that fashion was attractive at that time to the people then. I think if you explore old photos that you will find that was the latest thing. I agree, I do not find it all that attractive either, but I am me now. Think my Dad may have disagreed with both of us.

I often shop vintage stores, but don't find much that fits me. I like the idea of 40s and 50, but so far it hasn't worked out practically for me. If I had the cash, I would probably wear suits most days to work. I like the feeling of dressing up/dressing nice. I've been working a bit on a pompadour, but not sure I can really pull it off.

Very cool that both of you (tyrionstark and Sweetie Todd) enjoy it.

Very vintage! Hopefully you two enjoyed the flea market trip.

Had a blast! People had no idea what to do when they saw us...well....mainly her. It makes me so conscious of how abysmally dressed most people were....pajama bottoms, etc. We actually tended to get better deals on vintage items, especially clothes, as they were pretty sure the items were going to be used and not re-sold. The effect her dress has on elderly men is heart-warming. Oh.....and yeah....good day at the market.....(I'll just show my two favs, although my vintage military shirt rocks.)

Top Bottom