What's new

Beads (or Rosary) of the Day

It's an accessory nowadays, not a religious item. Very antique ones are quite expensive.

I have app. 80 beads. You may like to share yours' also.

Here below an amber one.

Best wishes from Turkiye...
proxy.php

SM-G965F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

Believe me, it's an accessory for men, especially short 33 beads ones. The 99 beads are mostly for prayers.

Is it still a rosary if it doesn’t have a crucifix? I keep seeing these beads with knots and baubles on the end. If it doesn’t have a crucifix attached to it wouldn’t they just be common worry beads.

Legion

Staff member
Is it still a rosary if it doesn’t have a crucifix? I keep seeing these beads with knots and baubles on the end. If it doesn’t have a crucifix attached to it wouldn’t they just be common worry beads.
This.

From Wikipedia;

Worry beads or kombolói, kompoloi (Greek: κομπολόι, IPA: [ko(m)boˈloj], bead collection; plural: κομπολόγια, IPA: [ko(m)boˈloʝa]) is a string of beads manipulated with one or two hands and used to pass time in Greek and Cypriot culture. Unlike the similar prayer beads used in many religious traditions, worry beads have no religious or ceremonial purpose.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
It's an accessory nowadays, not a religious item. Very antique ones are quite expensive.

I have app. 80 beads. You may like to share yours' also.

Here below an amber one.

Best wishes from Turkiye...
proxy.php

That’s not a rosary, bro. Those appear to be Muslim prayer beads common in the Middle East.

A rosary is a very particular Catholic sacramental and very much still a religous item. But you’re right that antique rosaries can be quite valuable, particularly if the beads are made with pearls or gemstones.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The one in my photo in post #5 above isn't a Roman Catholic rosary, although I also have and use a Rosary. It is an Orthodox prayer rope made of wool, called a 'komboskini' in Greek (κομποσκοίνι) or a 'chotki' in Russian (чётки), although it is sometimes called a rosary. It is used with the Jesus Prayer rather than with the Ave Maria.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
The one in my photo in post #5 above isn't a Roman Catholic rosary, although I also have and use a Rosary. It is an Orthodox prayer rope made of wool, called a 'komboskini' in Greek (κομποσκοίνι) or a 'chotki' in Russian (чётки), although it is sometimes called a rosary. It is used with the Jesus Prayer rather than with the Ave Maria.
That's awesome. I usually practice the Roman Catholic rosary, but also pray the Jesus Prayer and Chaplet of Divine Mercy on the western rosary beads. I should do it more; its an excellent meditative spiritual practice. I didn't know it came from the East, but it seems like all the best stuff does.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I'm constantly giving my rosary beads away to parishioners. This is the current pair I have...who knows how long I'll have them until I visit someone who is in need of a pair. These are nice as the links are very strong/re-enforced. I tend to buy rosary beads and St. Benedict crucifixes several at a time because I like to give them away.

Rosary Beads.jpg

Top Bottom