What's new

Bay Area Brick & Mortar Suggestions?

Hi all, does anyone know of any stores in the SF Bay Area that sell creams/soaps/etc? I've been ordering online from West Coast Shaving (which is great), but would be great to be able to smell some software before buying. Probably a shot in the dark, but any insight would be great!

Thanks. I'm aware of a few AOS stores, but to my knowledge they only sell AOS soaps/creams? I actually really like their Lavender cream as well as their Lavender after shave balm.

Nancy Boy in SF.
347 Hayes Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
Hours: Monday - Friday 11am - 7pm, Weekends 11am - 6pm
Phone: (415) 552-3636

Nancy Boy in SF.
347 Hayes Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
Hours: Monday - Friday 11am - 7pm, Weekends 11am - 6pm
Phone: (415) 552-3636

While I like Nancy Boy, you'll run into the same thing - they only sell Nancy boy, and only have 2-3 scents in the store for shave cream/oils/AS balms. The SF Bay area is lacking in a more "complete" wet shaving location, unfortunately.

Fortunately, I have ordered from West Coast Shaving, Maggard's razors, Italian Barber, The Golden Nib, maybe one or two others, and the customer service has been excellent at all of them. They are all prompt shippers with reasonable pricing and have a wide variety of products and options.

But yeah, I'd like to see/touch/smell some of the stuff before buying too.

While I like Nancy Boy, you'll run into the same thing - they only sell Nancy boy, and only have 2-3 scents in the store for shave cream/oils/AS balms. The SF Bay area is lacking in a more "complete" wet shaving location, unfortunately.

Fortunately, I have ordered from West Coast Shaving, Maggard's razors, Italian Barber, The Golden Nib, maybe one or two others, and the customer service has been excellent at all of them. They are all prompt shippers with reasonable pricing and have a wide variety of products and options.

But yeah, I'd like to see/touch/smell some of the stuff before buying too.

Thanks for the input. The other aspect is that there's a shipping cost associated w/ the online stores, so a $10 soap becomes a $14-15 soap once it's all said & done. The good news is the online stores you mentioned all seem to provide great customer service, have a bunch of product to choose from, and overall do a nice job.

Depending on where you are in the bay area, and what you consider nearby, there's another option to consider.

The Carmel Drug Store on Ocean Avenue in Carmel by the Sea has a nice selection of shaving supplies. There are a couple of threads elsewhere on B&B that provide more details. Depending on the time of day, it's about 3 hours drive from Union Square, maybe 2 hours from San Jose.

I needed to buy some blades in a pinch today and went by Columbus Cutlery, which is listed on the Wiki page. Merkur blades were $8.75 for a 10-pack. Ouch. I don't even like Merkur blades, but had to bite the bullet. I thought about AoS, but their website shows the same blades for $14. Hopefully, OP has better luck finding soaps and creams than I had with blades.

I needed to buy some blades in a pinch today and went by Columbus Cutlery, which is listed on the Wiki page. Merkur blades were $8.75 for a 10-pack. Ouch. I don't even like Merkur blades, but had to bite the bullet. I thought about AoS, but their website shows the same blades for $14. Hopefully, OP has better luck finding soaps and creams than I had with blades.

For future reference, drugstores will often have store-branded Personna blades (made in USA or increasingly from Israel). Some places have Korean Dorcos: usually dollar stores. We do not list those on the SFBay wiki page because they tend to be nationwide, but you probably know where they are in your neighborhood.

Ah, very good to know. Thank you. I will check out those next time I don't have the patience/time to wait for an online order.

Top Bottom