What's new

Barrister & Mann Shaving soaps Cheshire and Seville!

I placed my second order with this company last Saturday and yesterday it arrived. This time I ordered the Cheshire ( combination of bergamot, clary sage, lavender, and patchouli, this soap captures the classic essence of Earl Grey tea using only high-quality essential oils.) and the Seville (A traditional barbershop scent, this soap contains bergamot, lemon, patchouli, oakmoss, lavender, and rosemary. A fresh, clean fragrance that goes with pretty much anything.) . I also received a nice size sample of their newest fragrance Solstice which I am unable to describe, but it is a very nice fragrance that like all their shave soaps fragrances is very natural. I have several shave soaps from many others such as Mike's, Mystic Water, QCS, and I would say that Barrister & Mann stands right there with these artisan soap makers providing us another great shaving soap. If your a fan of traditional Barbershop Fragrance, then Seville should be a shave soap that you put on your next order. I think it provides the best Barbershop fragrance of any shave soap I have tried. Cheshire is a wonderful refreshing fragrance some what complex from my perspective. None of these soaps have a fragrance that seems to be overly perfumed, they just hit a great balance in terms of the strength of the scent, and how the Essential Oils are layered to create these wonderful fragrances. These shave soaps are very easy to lather, and they are soft enough to mold in any container easily by hand. I hope you give them a try as I have and judge for yourself.

I will second you, yet again, mctmatt! After loving the Ferox so much, I acquired a puck of the Vetiver/Heather/Clary Sage. These soaps are fantastic. Stellar ingredients, easy to lather, great shave. It's definitely up there with the best.

A strong third here. I got their sample pack and I'm very impressed. They are very comparable to the other U.S. artisan soapmakers and the scents IMO are a good balance of intensity during the shave. Not too light, yet not overpowering. I really enjoy their scents as well. I hope this soap catches on and takes off because these guys are doing something right.

Ben

i have to agree with the 3 of you, i got a sampler pack of their soaps for Father's Day and I am thrilled with this soap. all the scents are great, my favorites are Seville and Ferox. I used the macro method to load my brush, load time is quick and the shaves have been wonderful. I can't wait to use up these samples up and purchase some full pucks. Barrister and Mann is definatley in my rotation moving forward.

I'm on board as well. I had been putting off buying any new soaps since I was using five soaps from Mike's in my rotation. But I couldn't resist. I ordered the sample pack had one shave with using the vetiver/heaher/clary sage. Great performer. On par with Mike's but maybe a little easier to load. Placed an order for four puck. Had to take advantage of the Father's day discount. Got them yesterday in the mail and added Ferox to the rotation.

What I love about these shave soaps is not only how my face feels afterwards, but the Fragrance/scent of each soap is unlike any I have tried. Trust me I have a shave den that would impress any on this board and my collection is really growing now as I have been on a acquisition buying spree since 2013 began. The fragrances might have the same descriptive words in terms of fragrance as many other soaps here, but these are just different in my opinion. I shaved with solstice sample this morning. Just rubbed a small amount on my face then did a face lather. Boom great lather and a quick but luxurious shave.

I just placed my order for a puck of Cheshire. The early reviews on the B&M soaps are outstanding and I couldn't resist the idea of an Earl Grey scented soap. I've been shopping for a new puck ever since my mom sent me my great grandfather's old shaving mug earlier this week. Now I just have to get the thing cleaned up by the time the shipment arrives...

I've been using nothing but their soaps the past month Best shaves ever. I love mikes and mystic. But barrister is just a bit better for me. Hmm. Off to place another order.

I know you said it's hard to describe the Solstice, but could you try? I'm curious as to what it smells like.

Solstice is a delicate fragrance at least from the sample I received. I catch a hint of very light mint...not menthol or Eucalyptus, but a more like Fresco (RR) but much more diluted. There is no cooling sensation to the skin that I could detect like you get with menthol or eucalyptus, just a refreshing fragrance that greets you on a warm summer morning. I detect some hints of lemon maybe, and one great things is that there is definitely no medicinal smell to the Solstice shave soap. They have just done a masterful job of layering the Essential Oils that no one fragrance dominates this shave soap. When you smell it you get one fragrance and yet it is made up of multiple fragrances is the best I can say about this shave soap. Since today is the Summer Solstice, I think I will have another go with this wonderful sample they sent me. Here is their description from their website which the soap went on sale today;

A rich, summery blend of lemon, black pepper, and real damask rose absolute, with just a touch of refreshing peppermint. This is a complicated, unusual scent that will make you wish Summer would never end.

Ingredients: Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Sodium Tallowate, Aqua, Glycerin, Citrus limonium (Lemon) Oil, Fragrance, Mentha piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Jojoba oil, Rosa damascena (Rose) absolute, Potassium Ricinoleate, Sodium Ricinoleate, Coconut Milk, Potassium Kokum Butterate, Sodium Kokum Butterate, Unrefined Shea Butter, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Cocoate, Lanolin, Allantoin, Silk Protein, Tocopherol Acetate.

Last edited:
I tested some of these soaps before he launched the store. They were great then and I hear he has actually improved the formula to address concerns from various testers. Guess I need to order some since the store is up and going now...

Based on the reviews, maybe I'd like to get a sample kit. What's up with the Bitcoin method of payment. Can we pay the regular way, with credit/debit cards or Paypal? Just thought I'd ask that question before I start floundering around with placing an order and haven't yet decided to focus on figuring out the bitcoin option.

Top Bottom