What's new

Barber hone grit

I have a couple of barber hones that I have picked up in antique stores. I have heard different opinions on their grit level. Some say they are 6k others say 8k. Does anyone have information on this?

They are all over the place. Even if you have a finer one, it may or may not be behaving properly due to binder degradation.

Trying to nail a grit is hard with them.
You can compare to synthetic hones and make an educated guess.
Modine from SRP has done extensive testing but it is just his opinion.
Some will give as good an edge as a Naniwa 12k. Some are only around 4-6.
There are a few that are terrific most are ok, quite a few are just crap.
What kind do you have?

From most analyses I've read, and from my own experience, they are no where near what a hone should be. Time and degradation has most likely made them worse.

My advice has always been to avoid them. That said, there are still guys that like them.

Play with them and find out your preference, that's all that matters.

Chris

The Swatty 3 lines has a good reputation. I have one. I used it when I travel. I can shave with the razor when I use it, but I would not say it hone as well as a Naniwa 10K.

They are all over the place. Even if you have a finer one, it may or may not be behaving properly due to binder degradation.

Egg-zackly. Frequently the degradation can be spotted by either a very dull matte appearance of the honing surface or a sort of patchy look to the surface. A good one will usually be almost shiny and very uniform.

Unfortunately there is no way to know. A lot of abrasive standards have changed throughout the decade as technology has improved. Like others have said its dependent on the piece. Should be mentioned that these stones were meant for a quick refresh between uses and not designed for a full progression like bench stones back in the day. Barbers were tradesmen who needed to use reliable tools, not collectors pieces. They didn't have time to worry about much other than can the blade remove hair and not skin.

Unfortunately there is no way to know. A lot of abrasive standards have changed throughout the decade as technology has improved. Like others have said its dependent on the piece. Should be mentioned that these stones were meant for a quick refresh between uses and not designed for a full progression like bench stones back in the day. Barbers were tradesmen who needed to use reliable tools, not collectors pieces. They didn't have time to worry about much other than can the blade remove hair and not skin.
Yes, and a barber would have learned the properties of their stone and it's abilities and limitations.

I have a couple of tester razors that I will try on the Aloxite hone. The Standard hone is not in great shape. It has some pitting and it looks like the binder has broken down in spots.

Top Bottom