What's new

Bar Soap vs. Body Wash: Battle of Economics

The price of Old Spice Body Wash keeps on climbing. Is it even worth the cost to keep using? Their scent offerings have become so prolific, that it’s impossible to match an anti-perspirant to a soap. Good luck finding Foxcrest or anything else remotely good smelling either. And their deodorant has jacked up most of my good shirts. Swagger continues to be a great scent, but WOWEE does it strangle my pockets!

ANYWAY.....

I’ve been checking out some triple and quad milled soaps around Etsy and on Amazon. They can run up to $10.00/ bar, if you go for Lightfoots or Magno. What is the longevity of these soaps? Are they generally more or less economical than a body wash?

I have only used bar soap. Big 200g bars last a while. Thing is to put them in some type of dish that allows that water to drain and dry. I usually get a month or two out of them. Pre De Provence, Mitchells, etc. Even soaps like Dial, Dove etc last a while. Never used body washes so can't make a comparison. I avoid artisan soap because they are so soft, melt away quick if left wet and get used up fairly quickly. Check the internet places like iHerb etc have much better prices on the milled body soaps.

PdP sheeps milk is my current favorite. Big bar that lasts, has a nice clean scent and affordable.

I haven’t used a body wash for a while but I remember thinking that they went pretty quickly. I tend to stick with the Yardley bar soaps that are readily available for $1 each in a number of scents with slightly different formulas.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Sometimes especially if im not careful body wash goes down the drain before getting from my hand to body so i feel its not as economical
I generally use a bar. Longevity is about 2-3 weeks thereabouts. Ive tried expensive artisan soaps and not sure they are worth it especially when they seem to not last. I also extremely dislike hard objects like seeds? Or whatever some artisan mix in bar soap.

Old Spice makes bar soap too and its quite bit cheaper than their body wash is. Ive never tried it but Im sure its fine. I switched from body wash to bar soap this year and dont miss it. Bar soap is way cheaper and better for the environment. You just have to watch it with some bar soaps though because a lot of it very overpriced.
Coast, Ivory or Irish Spring is all you need and usually you can get 6 bars for less than $4. If you want to get fancy, go Dove. Artisan bar soaps are almost as much of a ripoff as some artisan shave soaps are.

Old Spice makes bar soap too and its quite bit cheaper than their body wash is. Ive never tried it but Im sure its fine. I switched from body wash to bar soap this year and dont miss it. Bar soap is way cheaper and better for the environment. You just have to watch it with some bar soaps though because a lot of it very overpriced.
Coast, Ivory or Irish Spring is all you need and usually you can get 6 bars for less than $4. If you want to get fancy, go Dove. Artisan bar soaps are almost as much of a ripoff as some artisan shave soaps are.

I can see that for sure! But even some of the pricier artisan soaps can be cheaper than canned stuff, if you don’t over-lather. I envision my BM Vespers shaving soap lasting a decade or more, if I only use in cold weather, and it’s by far the most I will ever spend on shaving stuffs.

Looking at milled soaps exclusively, since they last the longest. I could see PdP outlasting several bars of OS Swagger.

I can see that for sure! But even some of the pricier artisan soaps can be cheaper than canned stuff, if you don’t over-lather. I envision my BM Vespers shaving soap lasting a decade or more, if I only use in cold weather, and it’s by far the most I will ever spend on shaving stuffs.

Looking at milled soaps exclusively, since they last the longest. I could see PdP outlasting several bars of OS Swagger.
I dont really worry about triple miled bath soaps because you have stuff like Ivory that is so cheap. If I get 2 or 3 weeks out of a bar, that fine because it's only like 39 cents for a bar.
I tried Duke Cannon and it last a bit longer but it's way more expensive. I guess that I'm just not sold on the merits of artisan bath soap.
Theres an artisan soap company in the city where I live that sells some fancy scented bath soaps but they are like $4 for a 3 oz bar. To me, that's not a good value at all.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I normally use Cussons Imperial Leather original bar soap which is superb and the scent reminds me of my childhood. It is also cheap here in the UK at around £1 for three bars. Occasionally I use Brut shower gel but my wife likes me to use the bar soap as it is apparently better for the environment. She cares about that sort of thing, which in practice means I also care about it, as should we all I suppose.

You guys are amazing. Cussons is far cheaper than PdP or Magno per ounce, so I’ll try that first. Might pick up some Yardley’s from the Dollar Tree this weekend as well. Tried some artisan soap someone got me for Christmas; even after rinsing thoroughly I got the scritchy-scratchies. Really want to find bar soap which works. Making the switch to DE shaving cut back on expenses AND space, and I’m hoping to continue the trend with soaps.

Top Bottom