What's new

Bar Soap that doesn't feel like it strips all the oil off your skin?

Gemlik is not far from Istanbul while Ayvalik is on the Aegean coast. They are regions that produce olive oil. However, The most traditional Daphne soap comes from Hatay, in the south of Turkey and not coincidently in the border with Syria. Hatay is only 60 miles away from Aleppo.
I have just ordered three bars of Antiochia Soap...

Avoid anything with Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. Triple milled soaps can be more drying (though less expensive as it's longer lasting). Pretty much any soap with goat's milk or shea butter is a decent bet.

Here in the U.S. I’ve tried Barrister & Mann and Stirling soaps. Thought both worked well and didn’t dry out my skin, and my skin is dry to begin with. Stirling shampoo bars are now pretty much a staple.

How long do those olive oil (Aleppo/ Marseilles) soaps last? I’d like to try that out but at $15 for 5.3 ounces, a little wary.
EDIT: Well, I just found a couple of “ugly bars” of Aleppo soap on Etsy, so I’ll try a couple of those.

Last edited:
I just started using Kiss My Face olive oil soap since I found it for a very good price at the local market, and I like it a lot. Just three ingredients: saponified olive oil, water, and salt. Made in Greece.

I just started using Kiss My Face olive oil soap since I found it for a very good price at the local market, and I like it a lot. Just three ingredients: saponified olive oil, water, and salt. Made in Greece.
Let it dry on a dry soap dish.

I have been using Kirks. You can get it from Walmart for very cheap. Ingredients are - Sodium Cocoate, Water, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Gluconate, Fragrance - I was using Aveeno body wash before that. I will never go back. Real soap feels a lot less greasy and the breakouts I would get on the back of my arms and back of my legs have lessened significantly (though not perfect). It is a little drying on my face so I stopped using it for that but I will never go back to the chemically ridden body washes or body bars (fake soap). My understanding (and correct me if I am wrong) is that coconut soaps can be a little more drying than olive oil based. I am looking for the proper way to get pure olive oil soap based soap.

Where is everyone getting their olive oil (Marseilles-like) soaps? I live in the US and found Home - Savon de Marseille - https://savondemarseille.com/ but it doesn't seem to coordinate with the 4 major soap producers that Marcos mentioned in other threads from that region. At this rate, any options for pure olive oil soap (even if not from the Marseille region) would be great! Thanks.

I have been using Kirks. You can get it from Walmart for very cheap. Ingredients are - Sodium Cocoate, Water, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Gluconate, Fragrance - I was using Aveeno body wash before that. I will never go back. Real soap feels a lot less greasy and the breakouts I would get on the back of my arms and back of my legs have lessened significantly (though not perfect). It is a little drying on my face so I stopped using it for that but I will never go back to the chemically ridden body washes or body bars (fake soap). My understanding (and correct me if I am wrong) is that coconut soaps can be a little more drying than olive oil based. I am looking for the proper way to get pure olive oil soap based soap.

Where is everyone getting their olive oil (Marseilles-like) soaps? I live in the US and found Home - Savon de Marseille - https://savondemarseille.com/ but it doesn't seem to coordinate with the 4 major soap producers that Marcos mentioned in other threads from that region. At this rate, any options for pure olive oil soap (even if not from the Marseille region) would be great! Thanks.
The following soap brands are available in North America, they are either Marseille or Provence soaps.

Mistral
L'Epi de Provence
Pré de Provence
Belle de Provence
South of France
Bisous de Provence
La Belle Vie
Pure Provence
Savon et Cie
L'Occitane en Provence
La Compagnie de Provence
Lothantique

I'm using this shanghai sulfur soap. It's great. Leaves your skin clean as hell.

rBVagV6L6r-IObZKAAHzl4YcdpoAAIi9wFgDFQAAfOv849.jpg

I too had problems with bar soaps drying my skin. Dove soap left me feeling I needed to wash it off.
Whole Foods 365 ( may be sold elsewhere, I don’t know)glycerin unscented bar soap works for me. When I first started using it I felt there was a very light grapefruit scent. Now I don’t smell it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My dad was a dermatologist and he always recommended Dove.
Because it FIVE quarter moisturizing cream! True story doggone! And I miss the commercials of the women with their daughters asking us to guess which was which!
ALSO! I want to use @Pedigree 's profile pic for myself! I'm thinking he uses Dove. He's ALMOST as incredibly handsome as I am! *don'taskmywifeheropiniononthematter....*

I picked up some Mitchell's Wool Fat as a result of this thread (and my affection for their shave soap). It's great! My wife made it a point to tell me she loved it. So slick, it feels as though you could shave really well with it.

Top Bottom