What's new

Ball end old type Vs. Single Ring

Hi all,

Today I purchased (if this newbie's got this right) a 1921 Gillette (Old Type) Ball End handle Razor with (what appears to my Eyes) to have the THIN Cap and Base. The beauty of this (well used with lots of character) Razor is that the handle does NOT have any "hair line" cracks that I can see whatsoever! I paid five dollars for the Historical piece! Borrowed photograph.
The Serial number is : P671143
proxy.php

Question, can the TOP CAP be replaced ? Which Cap would fit ?
SixCats!

Oooh, might somebody be able to tell me about THIS Cap with the HOLE in the Top Cap center ?
The Razor I purchased has this same configuration and the hole area is just a tad rough which is why as asked if/what Caps might replace/fit this Razor. I'd like to keep it as original as possible. Thanks.

proxy.php

I’m pretty sure the one you bought is a thick cap and the other one you posted a picture of is a thin cap. I don’t think that’s a hole, I’ve had those markings above the centre post and the two ‘pegs’ on an Old Type and they disappeared when I polished it. Although that one does seem rather prominent so maybe I’m wrong...

R

romsitsa

The "hole" is the attachent point of the center rod. It should be smooth and invisible under the plating, so that cap was once/several times overtightened. You can try to gently hammer it back and sand it flush, 50-50 that it will totally dissapear.

Adam

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. Eagle, after doing a lot of comparing of photographs, I do believe the "Old Type" I found yesterday has a thin Cap. I don't know however if this Cap is original to this year model Razor. romsitsa, yes indeed, with the missing plating, one can see that the hole is the attachment point for the Center pin/rod/screw. I suspect someone once did a "not so good" job/attempt of either to un-tighten the Head or what ? It appears someone took a sharp tool (the wrong tool) and attempted to "tap" the Pin down as there is a small gouge at the outer edge of the hole. In addition, upon closer examination, one can see that the Handle was held in some sort of Vice as there are slight indentations running both sides (length wise) of the Handle which is slightly crushed but noticeable by touch. Oddly enough, there are no signs of "Hair line" crack(s). Man, if only this old Razor could tell it's story. As I said, despite being well used, there is something unique about this well worn/used Razor that interest me as it has a lot of character. I've cleaned the Razor, now, I think I'm going to leave well enough alone. I kind of like it "as is".

SixCats!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. Eagle, after doing a lot of comparing of photographs, I do believe the "Old Type" I found yesterday has a thin Cap. I don't know however if this Cap is original to this year model Razor. romsitsa, yes indeed, with the missing plating, one can see that the hole is the attachment point for the Center pin/rod/screw. I suspect someone once did a "not so good" job/attempt of either to un-tighten the Head or what ? It appears someone took a sharp tool (the wrong tool) and attempted to "tap" the Pin down as there is a small gouge at the outer edge of the hole. In addition, upon closer examination, one can see that the Handle was held in some sort of Vice as there are slight indentations running both sides (length wise) of the Handle which is slightly crushed but noticeable by touch. Oddly enough, there are no signs of "Hair line" crack(s). Man, if only this old Razor could tell it's story. As I said, despite being well used, there is something unique about this well worn/used Razor that interest me as it has a lot of character. I've cleaned the Razor, now, I think I'm going to leave well enough alone. I kind of like it "as is".

SixCats!
The photo in post 13 shows the thin and thick caps. I gave my two balls ends away when I found a 1916 single ring. It had had some pliers on the ring which I used steel wool to smooth out. I used a nail file to make the cap sit properly with the base. Over time the corners are dropped which cause the cap on to seat properly.

Hi Twelve,

Ah, good information. Oooh, I too am searching for an early "Old Type". I think they are THE coolest looking Razors!

SixCats!

Hi Twelve,

Ah, good information. Oooh, I too am searching for an early "Old Type". I think they are THE coolest looking Razors!

SixCats!

So, found mine by accident, wasn't really looking for one. The eBay seller had it poorly worded and I was the only bidder. Seems like I got it for $10 plus shipping. Whatever you do, don't search on "old type Gillette" because all you will get are flippers. Try to look at estate sellers who only have one razor. These are going to be the most original and that's what most of us want.

Also, check here with member/sellers.

Hi Guys,

Twelve, thanks for that information! I do my best to "head off" flippers by being "Johnny on the Spot" at the likes of Flea Markets/Junk Stores/Thrift Shops/Yard Sales/Antique Stores, etc. for most of my Razors. I would LOVE to score (per your suggestion) an Estate Sale beauty! Ooh, those ABC Handle Gillette's are just too beautiful! REV, for sure I will keep an Eye open for the Goodwill Series Razor as it is indeed something that I would have an interest. That being said, I must say, overall, I'm pretty pleased with the (users) Razors I have recently purchased as most all are in VERY good condition and some are even NOS. However, that (five dollar) Gillette (P671143) Old Type Ball End which I purchased just yesterday saw it's first (for me) new Shave just moments ago. Whoa! Talk about AGGRESSIVE! Truthfully, I'm not sure if due to being a WELL USED Razor, it might be past it's prime. I had difficulty attempting to attach and tightening the handle once a blade was placed on the Cap & Head. I made sure to NOT over tighten the handle. Odd, this (I believe THIN profile) Razor, despite being well used (and having a lot of character) does NOT have a cracked handle! While shaving I went very slowly. I still managed to give myself at least one small nick around the upper Lip. No biggie. Man, does this Razor take off (not only Whiskers) but Skin imperfections/lil' bumps on the Face (which I don't mind). After Shaving, I hopped back into the Shower and ran lots of HOT Water over my Face. Once I exited the Shower, I applied Witch Hazel and later After Shave. A little later, I applied Coconut Oil on my Face. Man, talk about a close shave! Well, I MAY try this old Razor again however, my Gillette 1930's Long Comb Ball End "New" gave me a much more comfortable shave. I dunno, it might very well be my Shaving technique need work however, I think that perhaps this five dollar "Old Type" may have too many issues to be a good Shaver. I sure like it's looks! We shall see.

SixCats!

Last edited:
@SixCats! , work your way back in time, slowly. I doubt it's worn out. This is worn out..
C60DD011-0704-4E2A-B220-C218365D1F30.jpeg
399CD52E-5B6B-4E8A-86EB-0E9B0086A896.jpeg

The silver one is an ABC from 1911 while the gold/brass one is an unserialized thin cap.

Hi REV,

Thanks for posting those very useful photographs. I have to say that perhaps my 1921 isn't quite that bad after all. There are just a couple of teeth that are ever so slightly bent inward. In fact, the two are so slightly bent (and even/uniform) that I thought that it was normal/by design. Using the above photo, my Razor's Comb TOP row (left side) FIRST tooth slightly curves inward. On the BOTTOM row, the LAST tooth (right side) slightly curves inward so it looks balanced. I'm just wondering why it was so difficult to attached the Handle once the blade was installed.

SixCats!

Sometimes the threads of the cap are stripped or the threads of the handle are stripped. See if the head(with the blade) works in other handles and if other heads(with the blade) work in the handle you are talking about. This might help you narrow down the issue.

I'm just curious to ask is there any way to straighten the teeth back to the way they should be or do they snap off to easy ? ,,,,,,OR,,,,, is it better not to even try and just leave them that way. Sort of adding to the different razors their own acquired history characteristics, making each razor with their own flaws through time & from use unique to each individual razor.

Top Bottom