What's new

Baili vs Weishi vs VDH

First time poster, long time reader. I've used a few Safety razors over the years and I've recently had to retire my one and only Edwin Jagger. I tried a VDH but it barely cut my facial hair evenly. It felt like a chore with that razor. I've read that a weishi is practically the same model as VDH. What about the Baili TTO? I've tried Merkurs and they tend to be too aggressive. The jagger was good but I want something less expensive yet still provides a decent shave. I've read that some of these Chinese razors give good results. I just haven't found anything that touched on the difference between those 3 razors. Side note....I plan to use a feather blade in whatever new razor I get.

Hello and welcome, JJH83. Great to have you here on B&b. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

I have a MicroTouch which is a chinese brass and chrome plated TTO. It's fine except that the handle is a bit short and thin for my liking. I've ordered a long handle version (yet to arrive) under the Wieshi brand. The chinese razors are made as an everyday "quick shave" shaver that's cheaper than cartridges and work OK.
It's much lighter and gentler than the Parker 99 I also have, the parker is more aggressive.

unfortunately razors don't come with specs in regards to gap etc so you could get an idea based on numbers.

I've seen the micro touch at Walgreens. Looks identical to the VDH which is why I didn't pull the trigger on it. I did notice that Walgreens was selling long handled versions of the VDH razor. Worth a look if a short handle wasn't working out.

Why did yoy retire the EJ?

If you still have the handle (I am assuming you are in the USA, for reason, just to make my suggestion easier), you could order a replacement head from places like Maggards or The Italian Barber.

Or, just order a head and handle from those mentioned places. I believe they are modelled after the DE89.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

It dropped a few times and the head no longer was lining up straight with the blade. I still have it and I'll look at Maggards for some pricing. My curiosity is keeping me entertained though. That's how I found that Baili. There are just so many razors out there and it doesn't help when some of them are just rebranded. There use to be a cigar shop by me that had a nice wet shaving section. I wish they were still around so I could hold these razors in my hand and look at the blad angle/gaps.

Yes, there are a lot of razors out there, the biggest challenge I'm finding, is many use the term "stainless" which sometimes refers just to the handle not head, or just the supplied blades and not the razor. Like buying a frozen dinner and it says "meat" but not if it's beef chicken or pork...... yes it's metal but stainless, brass or zamia.
Luckily most of these chinese razors are very affordable , often called "alloy" and so far the alloy has been brass (Weishi and rebrands). Not sure about Baili.

The Maggard V3 head, a Jagger clone, and a good one, is about seven bucks.

A replacement Muhle/Jagger head is $18 to $26.

I suggest the seven dollar Maggard head, the V3.

And welcome!

Mac

Yes, there are a lot of razors out there, the biggest challenge I'm finding, is many use the term "stainless" which sometimes refers just to the handle not head, or just the supplied blades and not the razor. Like buying a frozen dinner and it says "meat" but not if it's beef chicken or pork...... yes it's metal but stainless, brass or zamia.
Luckily most of these chinese razors are very affordable , often called "alloy" and so far the alloy has been brass (Weishi and rebrands). Not sure about Baili.
Sounds frustrating. I imagine it's trial and error with the Chinese branded ones

The Maggard V3 head, a Jagger clone, and a good one, is about seven bucks.

A replacement Muhle/Jagger head is $18 to $26.

I suggest the seven dollar Maggard head, the V3.

And welcome!

Mac
I am digging the V3 head and handle. Seems to be grippier than the Edwin handle. It's $6.95 for the head if I did keep the Edwin handle. I see Maggards has the Baili TTO in their budget starter set. Must be decent for them to include it in a set. I may buy it and try it. I can always post back here with my experience. Maybe that will shed some light on the differences, if noticeable, between these razors.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
My experience is that the Weishi is lighter with a slimmer head and more balanced than the Baili. In the table below the Viking Chieftain is a rebranded Baili.

proxy.php

That's interesting. Is the Weishi better than the VDH? I did not care for the VDH razor. I love their other offerings but that razor was frustrating. my skin is sensitive and I can appreciate that the razor is mild, it's just too mild. The bic disposable gave me a better shave which suprises me because it's a disposable.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
That's interesting. Is the Weishi better than the VDH? I did not care for the VDH razor. I love their other offerings but that razor was frustrating. my skin is sensitive and I can appreciate that the razor is mild, it's just too mild. The bic disposable gave me a better shave which suprises me because it's a disposable.
I enjoy the Weishi more than the Viking but then I've been using similar razors for over a half century.

The secret to both the Weishi and the Baili is super light hand, correct angle, not rushing and two passes plus touch up. Mild does not mean inefficient.

That's interesting. Is the Weishi better than the VDH?
No, the Weishi and the VDH are identical; they are the same razor (as is the Micro Touch One). The Baili is different; slightly more efficient than the Weishi/VDH/MTO in my experience, but by no means aggressive. I have one (the RazoRock Quick Change version) and I like it. You should find it similar in efficiency to your DE89.

Cool! Thank you for the feedback. The razor looks nice and I was hoping it was different than the others mentioned. I'll give it a shot.

Top Bottom