What's new

Badger brushes.......I’m now 100% a Synthetic guy

And then we have:

We have a problem? Is the Muhle/EJ a soft and luxurious 3-band Silvertip imitation or is it a 2-band copy?

The v2 fibres (current production) feel very much like a plush silvertip to me.

Very soft, luxurious, and the most natural splaying synthetic brush I've ever used!

The v1 (discontinued 2012) has a bit of scrub like a two band or best badger.

I've got a Mùhle travel brush and was amazed at how soft and easy it was to make a lather. This after using a chubby 3.! It's a small knot, and I wonder if you can recommend a larger Mùhle or EJ.

I've had several 23mm silvertip fibre brushes but it wasn't until I got the 25mm size that I realized what I've been missing out for so many years!

The density and behavior of the knot is unbelievable on the XL version!

I've had over 50 synthetics over the last 2 years and the silvertip fibre XL is my #1 pick of the lot!!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I used a Pure Badger like I mentioned for about a year straight, I’m wondering if i just wore it out or what but it just didn’t do it for me like my Synthetic Simpson.

While the Simpson Special Pure Badger is a budget Badger brush. I don’t have it in me to spend more then $40 for a brush just to only find out that badgers are no longer my gig.

Now does that mean I’m done with badgers forever? Only time will tell, for the meantime though synthetics are my thing.
I have a bunch of Badger brushes. Pure definitely is not my favorite of any brush, period. That said, my cheap, $9.99 Maggard 22mm synth blows every badger I own out of the water. Even my Silvertips and 30mm TGN High Mountain White. I was instantly converted and went on a Synth shaving brush buying spree. The only non-synthetic brushes that I'm really interested in using anymore are my well broken in boars, specifically: Semogue 610, 620, and Omega 10065. That's only because the feel of a well broken in boar is as soft in a totally, unusual, unique, different way. The only Badger I'll give honorable mention to is my EJ Medium Super. Synthetics rule for feel, load-ability, and releasing lather, cleanup, not shedding, drying, durability...

Last edited:
The v2 fibres (current production) feel very much like a plush silvertip to me.

Very soft, luxurious, and the most natural splaying synthetic brush I've ever used!

The v1 (discontinued 2012) has a bit of scrub like a two band or best badger.

How does one tell if it's Muhle STF 1.0 or 2.0? Mine a 21mm is decidedly 2-band-esque and the only synth I've kept. I have a hunch it's the size that makes it so. No?

For me the difference is in the amount and time to get a decent lather.
Synthetics are easy to lather on your face (cream/soap), and produces a lot of lather (good for 2-3 head and face passes) ; even 19mm brushes will create enough.

Then badger or boar, I have them small and big, best and silvertip. I will load them 2-3 times longer than a synthetic or use 2-4 times as much cream and I have never had enough lather for 3 passes to cover head and face!!

If I am only shaving my face, badger is good enough.....even that mighty midget (boar/badger which I like).

For my needs I see no reason to have badger or boar, but since I have some, will keep using them sporadicly.

Yes I have seen videos of people generating a lot of nice lather using badgers.....10-15min of swirling..... vs 1-3' with a synthetic.... that is the difference and the price...

Reactions: nav
How does one tell if it's Muhle STF 1.0 or 2.0? Mine a 21mm is decidedly 2-band-esque and the only synth I've kept. I have a hunch it's the size that makes it so. No?

Firstly, the black banding on the v1 is wider and darker than v2.

The v1 fibres are thicker and the knot is not as dense as v2. This is why it feels more like a scrubby two band or Simpson Best to my face (which I love!).

The v2 has very soft tips, like a very soft silvertip. The way it splays to pressure is also similar to silvertip badger...but with all the benefits of a synthetic.

I sold off 2 out of 3 v1 silvertip fibre brushes and have kept one in my collection, which I don't use often.

I have two of the EJ v2 XL along with one Muhle v2 XL. That's how much I love this brush!!

The v1 fibres are thicker and the knot is not as dense as v2. This is why it feels more like a scrubby two band or Simpson Best to my face (which I love!).

The v2 has very soft tips, like a very soft silvertip. The way it splays to pressure is also similar to silvertip badger...but with all the benefits of a synthetic.

I sold off 2 out of 3 v1 silvertip fibre brushes and have kept one in my collection, which I don't use often.

I have two of the EJ v2 XL along with one Muhle v2 XL. That's how much I love this brush!!
Thank you!

Reactions: nav
Synthetic brushes are hassle-free and easy to use tools that produce great lather.

I have used expensive badger brushes such as Simpson, Black Eagle, DG and struggle to understand all the hype. They have nice handles, dense in some cases and expensive, that’s it. The knots are not any better than a broken in boar knot of $20-30 IMO. But I guess if you pay $200-500 for a brush you have tell yourself it’s fantastic.

Un-scritch your badger by bleaching the crap out of it. No different process to how the Chinese and some artisan brush makers prepare these “expensive” knots they sell for a fortune.

196E9DB0-3E07-4C3B-AA70-8849E81B208D.jpeg

Last edited:
I kept my one silvertip, mainly for sentimental reasons. I won it in what was the last giveaway for one of my favorite YouTube shavers. It was a shedder, and the brush maker replaced the knot for me, but it's still a shedder. I plan to keep it in the rotation until it sheds to the point that it's no longer useable and then get it reknotted with a synthetic.

I've also got a Razorock Noir coming, and I plan to pick up a Boss, Oumo brown/white, and one of the brown synth knots at some point as well.

View attachment 1150110
G’day Gwsmallwood, I cannot stop starring at the Green Tuxedo brush on the left side of the picture, could you please give me a complete details about that brush and where you got it from?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I have recently invested in a simpsons 2 band chubby 2 which I find to be amazing. I have also ordered a yaqi synthetic. I will be keen to compare

Have you tried any of Simpsons synthetic brushes or from shavemac synths? I would be curious to know your impressions in that case.

Have you tried any of Simpsons synthetic brushes or from shavemac synths? I would be curious to know your impressions in that case.

I was considering the Simpson but I don't agree with the way the knot is set. It doesn't suit my preferences.

I don't want heavy backbone in a synthetic. The reason I love the STF is because it actually responds like a silvertip badger.

Synthetic brushes are hassle-free and easy to use tools that produce great lather.

I have used expensive badger brushes such as Simpson, Black Eagle, DG and struggle to understand all the hype. They have nice handles, dense in some cases and expensive, that’s it. The knots are not any better than a broken in boar knot of $20-30 IMO. But I guess if you pay $200-500 for a brush you have tell yourself it’s fantastic.

Un-scritch your badger by bleaching the crap out of it. No different process to how the Chinese and some artisan brush makers prepare these “expensive” knots they sell for a fortune.

View attachment 1150902

OMG you turned a pure badger into a gel tip?
Does it actually take away the scritch of the pure badger?

G’day Gwsmallwood, I cannot stop starring at the Green Tuxedo brush on the left side of the picture, could you please give me a complete details about that brush and where you got it from?

Thank you.
It was my first custom. The handle is a VERY early Wild West Brushworks. I think it was like the seventh that he sold out of the Etsy shop. I bought the 24mm Tuxedo from APShaveCo and set it myself. Derek doesn't do customs anymore, and I haven't seen him use that pattern of resin in a long time. Even though it was my first custom, it's still one of my favorites.

View attachment 1150902
What's this magic pure badger trick???? tell us about, what did you do????

I went all-synthetic for several years. Over the last year, I've rediscovered my love for the feel of natural hair, both badger and boar.

That said, I just used my Muehle synthetic for today's shave, and the lather was insanely plentiful and delivered to my face without any of the machinations that can be necessary with natural hair. Now, I enjoy building lather, so I don't require a mindless, instant lather. But man, in terms of pure performance, feel and aesthetics aside, synthetics are tough to beat.

I like brushes, all kinds. However my high end badgers win every time. For a budget, the Maggard SHD is incredible.

Top Bottom