What's new

Badger brush with good backbone?

I'm looking for a badger brush with decent backbone. I did a forum search, the those discussions are over five years old. Are there badger brushes with good backbone, or is it better to go with a 70/30 hybrid?

Thanks!

You didn't specify what size brush you are looking for or a price range.

You might want to look at the two-band or Manchurian brushes. Many have nice backbone without being too scritchy.

I'm happy with a Semogue SOC two-band, Semogue SOC Mistura and a Yaqi two-band.

Check out the Zenith Manchurian, also.

Then there are classics like the Simpson Duke 2 or Duke 3 in best badger. Plenty of other Simpsons to choose from depending on size and shape you are looking for.

Having a reference point to go from would be helpful I would have to say.

If you're coming from a good boar brush as the reference very few badger brushes would be able to compare imo. Even the SOC 2 band badger feels like it's too easy for me to splay, though I do enjoy it a lot.

I don't even look at synthetics anymore as I can't even feel the tips.

Reactions: bjm
I recently tried the TGN (The Golden Nib) Finest 24mm Faux acrylic horn handle brush and really enjoyed it. I believe this badger brush has a good amount of backbone and very affordable. I liked so much I ordered another one of their brushes yesterday.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I really enjoy the 2 band badger(Finest) brushes for backbone and those soft pillow like tips.
I have a bunch of Yaqi 2 band badgers and they are very good for making lather and perform well + they are very reasonably priced when on sale I have discovered.
If you like scrubbing the Yaqi 2band 22mm Ever helpful badger brush is designed for this with high density short loft with soft tips I find excellent but & will still paint lather. Yaqi other 2band badger brsuhes are excellent all around shaving brush IMO.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
You've already been given a lot of great advice already. When I first began my journey, I started with a generic pure badger brush, complete and utter garbage, no backbone whatsoever, terrible.

I replaced it with a Maseto Avatar 2-band silver tipped 30 knot 56 loft badger brush.
proxy.php

This sucker is a huge brush, and you may not want one this big. But the point is, this brush has solid backbone, the hairs don't fall flat on their face. And this kind of brush can cover your entire face in a very short time, cause its freaking huge! LOL - The great thing about Maseto Shaving, is they provide high quality brushes for a much more affordable price. The only bad thing is, there is going to be a 1-month long wait time after you make your order, because it comes direct from China.

Top Bottom