What's new

Bad thoughts, please help.

Hmm... I always wondered, what is really the difference between the slim adjustable and this razor, aside of the finish on the handle? Is there a difference in mechanism or the shaving head?

Honestly the best answer here!

Honestly, screw him!

In my experience, people can be encouraged to try wet shaving, but can’t be pushed. Getting him this stellar razor with all kinds of thought behind it and his birth quarter etc is kind of an awkward push.

This gives me the impression that you have tried and have yet to be successful at converting him to wet shaving.

When first starting out, people can’t tell the difference between a GEM SE and a Gillette Toggle DE (unless you try shaving with the second edge of the single edge razor). So, lend a more easily replaceable razor to him in the hopes that he will catch on. The adjustable option is nice for you because you have shaved enough to have preferences, he will suffer from having too many variables in the beginning.

For the next year, while he is borrowing and using the cheap lender, you hold on to and use the adjustable. If he catches on, give the adjustable to him on his next birthday – it will still be in the same condition it is today. If he doesn’t catch on, he will give the cheap borrowed razor back to you. Alternatively, if you give him the adjustable now, he will feel awkward about telling you that he doesn’t use it and another great razor will end up unused in the bottom of a drawer somewhere.

Lastly, on this long drawn out email, the biggest mistake that people make when buying a gift is; getting something for someone that they want the person to want to have, rather than buying a gift that the person actually wants. Your friend is not a DE user, you are. If he becomes a DE user, then get him a DE as a gift. In the meantime, encourage him to borrow one of yours.

Honestly, screw him!

In my experience, people can be encouraged to try wet shaving, but can’t be pushed. Getting him this stellar razor with all kinds of thought behind it and his birth quarter etc is kind of an awkward push.

This gives me the impression that you have tried and have yet to be successful at converting him to wet shaving.

When first starting out, people can’t tell the difference between a GEM SE and a Gillette Toggle DE (unless you try shaving with the second edge of the single edge razor). So, lend a more easily replaceable razor to him in the hopes that he will catch on. The adjustable option is nice for you because you have shaved enough to have preferences, he will suffer from having too many variables in the beginning.

For the next year, while he is borrowing and using the cheap lender, you hold on to and use the adjustable. If he catches on, give the adjustable to him on his next birthday – it will still be in the same condition it is today. If he doesn’t catch on, he will give the cheap borrowed razor back to you. Alternatively, if you give him the adjustable now, he will feel awkward about telling you that he doesn’t use it and another great razor will end up unused in the bottom of a drawer somewhere.

Lastly, on this long drawn out email, the biggest mistake that people make when buying a gift is; getting something for someone that they want the person to want to have, rather than buying a gift that the person actually wants. Your friend is not a DE user, you are. If he becomes a DE user, then get him a DE as a gift. In the meantime, encourage him to borrow one of yours.

The "screw him" may have sounded a little harsh, but I agree with this poster...

If you want to get him into Wet shaving...but him a Merkur 1904, in either OC or guard for a new razor...under $30...or find him a user grade SS or other common razor.....if this is something he truly enjoys.....give him the Super Adjustable for Christmas or next year...but would be a shame if he never uses it!!

Wow, blown away with the responses. inspiringK, on balance you have probably got it spot on. In truth, I was never going to keep it for myself, I always intended to give it to him, I guess what inspiringK said was at the back of my mind and I just didn't have the words.

I will opt for the "If you don't get on with it, I will get you something else" approach. I would hate to see it sitting in a drawer.

Thank you one and all, I will let you know how it goes.

I will opt for the "If you don't get on with it, I will get you something else" approach. I would hate to see it sitting in a drawer. .

Is he going to be honest with you about not using it? Or is he going to think you will be offended if he admits to not using a gift you put so much thought into?

I think you are much better off giving him a lessor razor to start with; of course I tend to disagree with much of the DE proselytization in the first place, as I am realistic: the average person is simply not interested in a shaving routine that takes 20-30 minutes to complete, no matter how good the results.

Top Bottom