What's new

Bacon rinds, what to do with them?

Hey gents! I have some bacon rinds left over. Since I'm a student, I usually buy cut bacon with the rinds still attached since that's much cheaper. I meticulously cut it off before I cook the bacon.

So I have a good handful of bacon rinds in the fridge. What can I do with them? Make a stock, maybe? But how?

That's just the skin right? You could fry it and make chicarron. Maybe slice it very thinly and saute it along with vegetables. Use it as a flavoring agent for soups or stocks then discard the rind after it's given up its flavor.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Hey gents! I have some bacon rinds left over. Since I'm a student, I usually buy cut bacon with the rinds still attached since that's much cheaper. I meticulously cut it off before I cook the bacon.

So I have a good handful of bacon rinds in the fridge. What can I do with them? Make a stock, maybe? But how?
Rossmeister:
When you say "bacon rinds", I guess you mean you have some pork fat with some skin attached or just the fat without the skin? If you just have the pork fat...then how about making some Cracklins?
proxy.php

Below is a very simple receipe for Basic Cracklins. :yesnod:

Basic Cracklin Recipe

Ingredients:

1½ lbs pork fat
Fresh ground peppercorn melange (a mix of black, white green & pink peppercorns), and sea salt.

Method:

1. Slice the pork fat into small pieces about ½ inch thick and ¾ inch wide.

2. Fry the cut pork fat over medium heat in a cast iron skillet until golden brown.

3. Drain well on paper towels.

4. Season with ground peppercorn melange and sea salt (to taste) and serve.

NOTE:
You do the option to use any type of seasoning like, such as Cajun or Creole seasoning, garlic salt, seasoning salt, dried herbs, ect...the field is open to your tastes. :lol1:

"Bon Appétit...Celebrating the Chef in You!!!

Christopher
proxy.php
"[It is the] innovator, experimenter, [and] missionary in bringing the gospel of good cooking to the home table." Craig Claiborne

Top Bottom