What's new

Back in August I Kicked a Twig down the road...

I have the same drag issue with other allu razors… but again a bit of floid cures it. Still my Broman outshaves the r50 and no drag…
I was hesitant to get the Henson because of the allu, but it turned out to be nothing like the R48.

Still, the Twig rules supreme.

I was hesitant to get the Henson because of the allu, but it turned out to be nothing like the R48.

Still, the Twig rules supreme.
The henson gives a bit less drag but still drag. Now it seems my red used medium has had an accident and the loaner will provide a new blue mild one instead. Still going to get a leaf twig though lol

Oi the drag on a allu paa slant was even worse it is mostly a coating thingie but that dent in the r48 head might make it worse

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Chromed Zinc, Jim. Either finish will work for you as the chrome work is done quite well. On shave angle it's fairly intuitive and after a couple of strokes you'll be on it in terms of cutting efficiency. Doesn't feel like an injector or a standard se per say. It does feel to me sort of like a hybrid of both de & se with a feel leaning towards a de. Really smooth with good feedback. I don't use the blades that came with the kit as they are serviceable but, I prefer my own blades as the shave performance and quality gets kicked up a notch.

Good luck amigo.....

Thanks, Gus. Much appreciated.

12-7-21.CR1.SS-NIL.Italian Flag.640.JPG

I may hold off for now. I'm in love with my ATT CR1 on its new handle. Not that I didn't like the Atlas handle but this titanium Tibam Radiator in ~80 mm rocks the razor.

The cap isn't shown but it's the SS Windsor Pro cap.

Happy shaves,

Jim

- do you feel that both the Taiga and/or Muramasa provide a similar kind of shave (=the combination of smoothness and efficiency) to the Twig, but even smoother?
- if the shaves with the Taiga and/or Muramasa are genuinly smoother but feel overall different, which of the two would you say feels the most similar to the Twig?

Pardon my delay in responding to your questions. Worked late last night and I was running on vapors. My apologies.

Comparing the Twig against unquestionably 2 of the 3 best modern adjustables made to date is comparing apples to oranges with the only thing being in common is they each use a blade to shave whiskers. The Twig is simply outgunned/outclassed as it has a fixed position point and shave geometry that is designed relative to its fixed position. While good and an easy shaver for many, it can never give one the ability to fine tune your shave with subtle increases in -,+ or neutral blade feel position as the other two can with an endless amount of adjustment. Clearly, I'm not saying that the Muramasa nor the Taiga offer Infinite adjustability but, just for the sake of this post I think it is safe to say that with either one you can fine tune your preferences of blade feel, efficiency & smoothness at near limitless possibilities in relation to each razor and their respective capabilities. Which, by the way, either one of these two razors can replace nearly every razor in one's collection and basically render them useless sans for the measure of just collecting. Same can be said of the Sailor.

But, to give you an answer that really isn't an answer, the Twig shaves in feel closer to the Taiga being somewhat in the ballpark. Bear in mind though that what I mean by ballpark is like having the Taiga sitting at home plate while the Twig sits up n the nose bleeds in dead center field. Eeeehh, it's in the park just not really close.

I enjoy my Twig and for the $$$ it's a heck of a tool. Honestly though and I might sound like a razor snob but, I love precision and craftsmanship at its finest. And the Taiga & Muramasa exude that with reckless abandon. They each represent their respective companies best offerings in the shave tool field. The Twig is a nice razor that can be a solid workhorse. The other two are pure Thoroughbreds worthy of Triple Crown status....

- do you feel that both the Taiga and/or Muramasa provide a similar kind of shave (=the combination of smoothness and efficiency) to the Twig, but even smoother?
- if the shaves with the Taiga and/or Muramasa are genuinly smoother but feel overall different, which of the two would you say feels the most similar to the Twig?

Pardon my delay in responding to your questions. Worked late last night and I was running on vapors. My apologies.

Comparing the Twig against unquestionably 2 of the 3 best modern adjustables made to date is comparing apples to oranges with the only thing being in common is they each use a blade to shave whiskers. The Twig is simply outgunned/outclassed as it has a fixed position point and shave geometry that is designed relative to its fixed position. While good and an easy shaver for many, it can never give one the ability to fine tune your shave with subtle increases in -,+ or neutral blade feel position as the other two can with an endless amount of adjustment. Clearly, I'm not saying that the Muramasa nor the Taiga offer Infinite adjustability but, just for the sake of this post I think it is safe to say that with either one you can fine tune your preferences of blade feel, efficiency & smoothness at near limitless possibilities in relation to each razor and their respective capabilities. Which, by the way, either one of these two razors can replace nearly every razor in one's collection and basically render them useless sans for the measure of just collecting. Same can be said of the Sailor.

But, to give you an answer that really isn't an answer, the Twig shaves in feel closer to the Taiga being somewhat in the ballpark. Bear in mind though that what I mean by ballpark is like having the Taiga sitting at home plate while the Twig sits up n the nose bleeds in dead center field. Eeeehh, it's in the park just not really close.

I enjoy my Twig and for the $$$ it's a heck of a tool. Honestly though and I might sound like a razor snob but, I love precision and craftsmanship at its finest. And the Taiga & Muramasa exude that with reckless abandon. They each represent their respective companies best offerings in the shave tool field. The Twig is a nice razor that can be a solid workhorse. The other two are pure Thoroughbreds worthy of Triple Crown status....
Thanks for the detailed reply :)

I have the Rockwell 6C, and it's been an absolute dud for me. I haven't been able to perform a whole shave with it with any of the plates. It feels like it's scraping more than cutting, on all plates, even on the lowest settings where the blade feel is non-existent. I even let my dad try it, for a 2nd opinion, and he too was woefully unimpressed by it.

The point being that even if it had infinite levels between those settings it still would be an awful razor for me. Just something about the head/blade geometry that doesn't suit me. That's the reason I'm asking, and why I'm pretty certain that an adjustable razor in itself doesn't mean it I will find a setting that I like.

But since your experience with the Twig seem similar to mine, and you're adamant that both the Taiga and Muramasa provide a significantly better shave (workmanship apart), it's a data point with more significance than not having any common ground at all.

Of course, if you say you have the Rockwell and that you love it, I'd be back on square one... :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed reply :)

I have the Rockwell 6C, and it's been an absolute dud for me. I haven't been able to perform a whole shave with it with any of the plates. It feels like it's scraping more than cutting, on all plates, even on the lowest settings where the blade feel is non-existent. I even let my dad try it, for a 2nd opinion, and he too was woefully unimpressed by it.

The point being that even if it had infinite levels between those settings it still would be an awful razor for me. Just something about the head/blade geometry that doesn't suit me. That's the reason I'm asking, and why I'm pretty certain that an adjustable razor in itself doesn't mean it I will find a setting that I like.

But since your experience with the Twig seem similar to mine, and you're adamant that both the Taiga and Muramasa provide a significantly better shave (workmanship apart), it's a data point with more significance than not having any common ground at all.

Of course, if you say you have the Rockwell and that you love it, I'd be back on square one... :)

Well, I did sponsor a Rockwell 6S pass around here a few years back. Many did enjoy it and actually purchased one. Personally, I found it a little to mild or inefficient for my taste. But, I installed a KAI blade in it and it actually turned the razor into a decent shaver for me with either an R5 or R6 plate. I actually know a couple of good wet shave friends that have all the top notch artisan produced razors in the field and when they want an easy near auto pilot shave, they still reach for their 6S.

That's what's great about this hobby. The diversity of opinions and experiences really do make for some very interesting chats & dialogue.

Happy shaves.... :shaving:

@GlazedBoker Yeah, I read mostly great reviews of the Rockwell, which is why I got it in the first place.

Still, it seems you were more impressed by the Twig than the 6S.

Either way it's decided: it will be a Taiga once the next batch is available.

Just received my silver Twig Thorn and the handle is loose and wiggles and the top cap is misaligned. It’s my 6th Twig or Thorn and this is the only one with these problems.

Been using my Thorn with a Feather blade, Sumfix Manchurian brush, and very, very slick soap and cream (alternating between Captain’s Choice Eucalyptus soap and Lavanda cream). Never had better shaves. Really! Next variation will be SdM soap.

Just received my silver Twig Thorn and the handle is loose and wiggles and the top cap is misaligned. It’s my 6th Twig or Thorn and this is the only one with these problems.
After 40 or so shaves and cleanings, the thumbscrew at the bottom of the handle of my Twig-Thorn got loose. I contacted Leaf, and Billy replied with instructions, including pix, to fix the problem. It took about 2 minutes with an unbent paperclip, and I'm no handyman. Billy also described a permanent fix, but it involves glue, and I'm not going to risk seizing up the works. From now on I'll restrain myself when I loosen the cap.

After 40 or so shaves and cleanings, the thumbscrew at the bottom of the handle of my Twig-Thorn got loose. I contacted Leaf, and Billy replied with instructions, including pix, to fix the problem. It took about 2 minutes with an unbent paperclip, and I'm no handyman. Billy also described a permanent fix, but it involves glue, and I'm not going to risk seizing up the works. From now on I'll restrain myself when I loosen the cap.
Can you post the pics of how to fix? 2 of mine are looser than when they were new. Thanks

Top Bottom