What's new

Back Escher stone???

Recently i was looking for some Escher stone information and i saw message about my old post. It has been more than 15 years. I am Person who broguht to life about ( Brown and Black escher ). Now Brown Escher end up special stone for a good razor if i am not mistaken at that time i did mention old straghtrazor place but even i have posted(may be not don't remember exactly) black escher pictures i decide to post again. Tried to find old post i only remember there were message by JYMMYHD ( hope didn't make mistake on his name) i couldn't do so. that is why i created this post. In case some mods or someone can find old post you are free to move this post in there. I don't come to straight razor places anymore . Those are 2 black eschers pictures. One of them has a label which is very hard to read ,next one should be ok.

Attachments

• image0(6).jpeg
    image0(6).jpeg
    684.9 KB · Views: 114
  • image1(3).jpeg
    image1(3).jpeg
    749.7 KB · Views: 120
  • image2(3).jpeg
    image2(3).jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 119
I've seen some dark blues that tend towards these stones appearances... the only way I trusted they were Thuri's was the label remnants and sawmarks... and these the sawmarks don't even match. Top one the label at least looks like it possibly belongs to the stone. Bottom one though I'd strongly suspect is a recycled label on something else.

Stone thickness is wrong. Sawmarks look VERY modern/recut. Label doesn't fit and is on at a pretty severe angle... and is missing pieces EXACTLY where I'd expect if someone tried to razor an escher label off a stone and then reapply it to another stone.

I'd be suspicious of both of these enough to never buy them myself; but I'd downright bet that the bottom was a fake.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I've seen some dark blues that tend towards these stones appearances... the only way I trusted they were Thuri's was the label remnants and sawmarks... and these the sawmarks don't even match. Top one the label at least looks like it possibly belongs to the stone. Bottom one though I'd strongly suspect is a recycled label on something else.

Stone thickness is wrong. Sawmarks look VERY modern/recut. Label doesn't fit and is on at a pretty severe angle... and is missing pieces EXACTLY where I'd expect if someone tried to razor an escher label off a stone and then reapply it to another stone.

I'd be suspicious of both of these enough to never buy them myself; but I'd downright bet that the bottom was a fake.
I agree. I was telling a friend last night the bottom stone/label look fake. Those shallow, circular saw marks look modern and the label is just all wrong. I’d send that one back if you still can. There was a guy several years ago that was buying unlabeled thuris on eBay on one account, then putting fake labels on them, smothering them with some kind of sealer, and selling them on another account as authentic Eschers.

As for the black Eschers, I’ve seen some in person that were very very dark, borderline black, but as far as I know Escher never marketed black or brown stones.

Hmm, The return of Black Adder...errr...Escher.

IIRC, there was some corporate drama going on during the final years of Escher hone production, and they (the company) began to extract stones from a different location, and it was at that time some blue/black stones were quarried.
I do not recall if they were boxed and labeled and sold as Escher hones. I do not think they were ever labeled as "black' like they did with the yellow green dark blue, blue green, etc.

I owned a couple-few actual black Thuringians, no labels.
Absolutely black, not dark dark blue. Black as coal black. I think @Legion had/has one also. They were around for a minute courtesy of @hatzicho . I did not find them to be the bees knees of Escher stones.

I never bought into the fabricated storyline of the elusive 'brown escher' being spewed online, I remember it being hyped on SRP. and I also remember it stirred up a lot of drama. I also remember someone saying they should never have used the term black/brown Escher and I also think it was at this time that the so called Vosgienne stone entered the landscape. Someone, I forget who, was saying the Voz was the 'brown escher'. That all went down on the old SRP site.

These stones in this thread though, to me, it looks like whoever sealed the label on that bottom stone was trying to hide something. What's with the giant bubbles? Who on earth would leave that in a finished seal coat?

The other one, meh - there are weird striations in the sealer coat. Sorta like someone was rubbing it on something to make it look 'worn'. I see this a lot in the guitar world because some guys think a 'reliced' instrument looks cooler. The wear patterns never match what happens in reality. I see some kind of writing impressed into the finish on this stone. To me it all looks like what I call a forced patina.

Peter has a 12" black labeled Escher pic on Escher Identification thread over on SRP. I don't think it said that on the label though.

Legion

Staff member
I owned a couple-few actual black Thuringians, no labels.
Absolutely black, not dark dark blue. Black as coal black. I think @Legion had/has one also. They were around for a minute courtesy of @hatzicho . I did not find them to be the bees knees of Escher stones.
The one I had was sold to me as a "mottled" black. If you do a search, Hatzicho's writings on them will show up.

It had a sort of, well, mottled colouration to it, quite unusual. Different looking to a bog standard grey black slate you might find in Wales, for example. Or stuck to the back of a coticule, or on top of a pool table.

IMG_0995_zpsf6b9aff3.jpg

I have seen stone similar to this sold as those little "Celebrated water razor hone", but never a big one with an Escher sticker.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wid
About the stones above i posted. 1 st stone is 100% Thuringian. label says made in Germany and every sign is (Not Escher lable )and could have in the middle E&co not sure ) cannot see it.
Bottom one is very interesting stone. I have very good history behind that stone. I bought stone and didn't believe label myself. i thought size, thikness label etc everything even stone acts a little different than escher but what matches
1 As fine as Escher
2. In fact company made black Color escher . i m not sure they labeled as black or not. This stone doesn't have side label.
Now i have several Thuringian black color and they are finer than yellow green Escher. i am sure most of you won't believe that but you can try and see it.
Enjoy guys.

Legion

Staff member
i am sure most of you won't believe that but you can try and see it.
Enjoy guys.
I could, but probably won't if I had to pay anything close to Escher prices. It's a shame that some people have been known to fabricate labels, and that has shaken my confidence buying expensive labeled stones off the internet. Too risky.

I could, but probably won't if I had to pay anything close to Escher prices. It's a shame that some people have been known to fabricate labels, and that has shaken my confidence buying expensive labeled stones off the internet. Too risky.
Actually This is the story how much i have paid for it. ( i should say first it is not for sale)it was action and i won it around 225.00 include shipping. i got the stone and didn't believe it is an escher stone. i contacted seller and she said i am sorry i will take it back. I sent stone back to her. she got stone and forget to refund. i waited didn't wanted to bother her . after some time i sent message and she replied said sorry, refunded even shipping back payment. after week later i got phone call lady said i have made mistake have not sent stone yet. i said this happens( same time i was buying from different sellers didn't know whom i am talking to). weak later i got back stone which i have shipped to her. himm. Now i was confused. I called back and tald her everything now she start to laughing . she couldn't believe what we have done with this stone. She said keep the stone. don't send back. I end up paying nothing for this stone. i did test the stone . As fine as escher, even wasn't acting like escher most likely thuringian. a little thicker compare rest escher stones. I did some research and find out infact escher made black labeled escher .( above all about 2nd stone)

Top Bottom