What's new

B&M vs Stirling

Yea I kinda look at shaving soap as a luxury item so if it’s a little more it kinda comes with the territory. Because honestly if it were price I’d just buy some canned crap and call it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Had my first shave with B&M. Used Seville. I’ll go into more detail on my thoughts in my journey thread. But all I can say is simply wow. First thing I learned is that b&m when lathered smells way different than in the container. I was worried I wouldn’t like Seville and I love barbershop scents. But once lathered I think it’s my favorite barbershop scent. Haven’t experienced that before.

It is the easiest soap I have had to lather to date. Effortless. Likes water. I got 3 passes and had enough for at least one more pass. That has never happened before as I usually have to reload at least for the 3rd pass. The lather is on another level. The slickness and the cushion is incredible. The most incredible part is how long the slickness lasts and the post shave feel. My face is still slick a day later and I even used their Seville splash which was great as well.

Not saying I don’t like stirling and it isn’t a great soap because it is great. The scents on stirling are incredible. But this is truly another level as it should be for the price comparison. I think I’ll be a b&m user from now on.

34EB762A-4AED-4EAB-B480-7AFD45BF4722.jpeg
7942922E-A437-4D11-A6F9-A5BC630F6E28.jpeg
C4A0A38F-F68A-4695-B5F3-B6CE87DE5F07.jpeg
A2060AEF-4559-4EF9-B3CC-7E0B8D3A23C5.jpeg
F83D968A-5C9C-4A16-9371-351841800895.jpeg

They are both fantastic ! Stirling and B & M (along with Ariana & Evans) are my favorite soap brands.
But I cannot pick a favorite, as they are all wonderful soaps, with awesome slickness, cushion. glide, and feel.

It's like asking ..... what's the better wine ? ---- Burgundy or Bordeaux ?
Who's the better tenor sax player --- Sonny Rollins or John Coltrane ?
Who's the better Impressionist painter ? --- Renoir or Monet ?
Who's the better author ? Mark Twain or Ernest Hemingway ?
Who's the better guitarist ? Jimmy Page or Eric Clapton ?
Etc., etc., etc.

You get my drift ..... some questions simply cannot be answered.
Both Stirling and Barrister & Mann are top shelf soaps. Happy Shaving !
Bordeaux
Coltrane
Renoir
Hemingway
Ah... Jimmy Clapton
See I did it!!!

Don't know much about wine.
Coltrane was more open to experimentation, so he gets a nod.
Monet; see Coltrane.
Draw. Both smoked pipes too, so I can't even use that to break the tie.
Eh... Page was good, but sometimes sloppy. I'll give the nod to Clapton.
:popc: You guys seriously cracked me up.. Great Banter, wish I was witty so I could participate, but alas, I will watch from afar..

Don't know much about wine.
Coltrane was more open to experimentation, so he gets a nod.
Monet; see Coltrane.
Draw. Both smoked pipes too, so I can't even use that to break the tie.
Eh... Page was good, but sometimes sloppy. I'll give the nod to Clapton.
Clapton can make one note sound like.... one but if feels like seven.

Oh side note. Twain was a cool thoughtful person and Hemingway was not so much but Hemingway’s books are fantastic and blows away anything Twain produced.
Sometimes I share too much.
Needlessly.
It can make things awkward.
Like now. 🤫

Had my first shave with B&M. Used Seville. I’ll go into more detail on my thoughts in my journey thread. But all I can say is simply wow. First thing I learned is that b&m when lathered smells way different than in the container. I was worried I wouldn’t like Seville and I love barbershop scents. But once lathered I think it’s my favorite barbershop scent. Haven’t experienced that before.

It is the easiest soap I have had to lather to date. Effortless. Likes water. I got 3 passes and had enough for at least one more pass. That has never happened before as I usually have to reload at least for the 3rd pass. The lather is on another level. The slickness and the cushion is incredible. The most incredible part is how long the slickness lasts and the post shave feel. My face is still slick a day later and I even used their Seville splash which was great as well.

Not saying I don’t like stirling and it isn’t a great soap because it is great. The scents on stirling are incredible. But this is truly another level as it should be for the price comparison. I think I’ll be a b&m user from now on.

Glad you dug it man; was this the Excelsior base?

Always a gamble to recommend something as subjective as a shaving soap scent; I’ve had one that a good friend seriously loves make me gag.

When you’re ready hit one of us up for the WEIRD B&M scent profiles, those are the ones I love so much from them.

Going the sample route is the best option on any type of soap. Perhaps you want to going beyond just B&M/Stirling.Its all subjective to each user (biological skin needs too). It really just comes down to what makes you...you alone...feel good about it (aesthetically or technical performance or both)

I personally and highly vouch for Shave Dash out of the UK. James McNally is super awesome in his communication and turnaround. The options are so far and wide (cream, soap, and post-shave). I have yet to find an item that is out of stock for my testing...yeah its in the UK but the cheap shipping is definitely worthwhile. Even with the virus issue the shipping rate last order about 3 weeks ago took about 1.5 weeks.

I am not sure if his shop is a vendor on here but give him a try or simply see what options are available. The listing is actively up to date with pics, # in stock, descriptions, and a bonus for me the ingredients.

Glad you dug it man; was this the Excelsior base?

Always a gamble to recommend something as subjective as a shaving soap scent; I’ve had one that a good friend seriously loves make me gag.

When you’re ready hit one of us up for the WEIRD B&M scent profiles, those are the ones I love so much from them.

Oh I think I’m totally ready. Just used Cheshire tonight and loved it. Never thought a tea scented soap would be so awesome. I’m Ready to dive down this rabbit hole. And yes I love the excelsior base a ton.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I've used both. B&M remains in my den, I PIF'd Stirling.

Not that Stirling is bad, but the performance and scents of B&M are a noticeable step above, IMO.

Enjoy!

I'm almost through a jar of Seville. I like it and will finish it, not sure if I'll replace it.
I have B&M Petrichor and Stirling SDM and Varen en route. These will be my first Stirling soaps...looking forward to the comparison.

Top Bottom