What's new

B&B's I Cycle, You Cycle, Let's Exchange Stories (aka B.I.C.Y.C.L.E.S.)

Went out for a late Sunday afternoon road ride. Stellar weather! First ride at my usual pace prior to the ankle fracture 8/21/23. Losing a pint of blood 14 times since mid-October probably delayed things….

Today's out-and-back trail ride follows a ridge which offers some outstanding vistas.
Image-1 (4).jpg

Saturday's ride was the Santos Fat Tire Festival Epic 50. The Ocala area reached the high 80s for the finish. I left the house at 3 am and was pulling into the lot in the dark at a little after 6 am. Got registered and I was on the trail at 7:05 with hundreds of other riders for an amazing day of mountain biking. Unfortunately, my dropper post stopped working at mile 13, and I completed the last 37 miles with the seat too low. I had to stop twice for some quad cramping at 30 miles or so, despite drinking 6L of electrolyte drink. Pickle juice helped calm them down. I last rode Santos in 2004 and might have forgotten what 50 miles in the FL woods feels like. The route is along the Marjorie Harris Carr Cross Florida Greenway and some of the elevation is due to dredging for a cross FL canal project that was never completed. Remnants of the project are clearly discernible on a terrain map. Very fun event!

Attachments

• IMG_0498.jpeg
    IMG_0498.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0469.jpeg
    IMG_0469.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0474.jpeg
    IMG_0474.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Saturday's ride was the Santos Fat Tire Festival Epic 50. The Ocala area reached the high 80s for the finish. I left the house at 3 am and was pulling into the lot in the dark at a little after 6 am. Got registered and I was on the trail at 7:05 with hundreds of other riders for an amazing day of mountain biking. Unfortunately, my dropper post stopped working at mile 13, and I completed the last 37 miles with the seat too low. I had to stop twice for some quad cramping at 30 miles or so, despite drinking 6L of electrolyte drink. Pickle juice helped calm them down. I last rode Santos in 2020 (* error correction!!! *) and might have forgotten what 50 miles in the FL woods feels like. The route is along the Marjorie Harris Carr Cross Florida Greenway and some of the elevation is due to dredging for a cross FL canal project that was never completed. Remnants of the project are clearly discernible on a terrain map. Very fun event!

Eventful day at the local MTB park....

I was so excited to get back out with my son-in-law and grandson today. It was new bike day for the little guy! I packed extra ride snacks and brought 2 MTBs to the park so that my son-in-law could ride before he receives his new MTB later this week. Our start was delayed by a broken spoke on my 29r (It hasn't seen a rider as big as my son-in-law before!). A zip tie fix got us going in a couple of minutes time. I rode the old 26" hard tail for the first time in forever. It is still very capable. There were many riders of all levels out with loads of stoke. It was a beautiful day. We stopped at the benches for rest and refueling. The kid killed it! We finished with a trip to the BBQ joint. It was a welcome change from trying to rip around the park as fast as possible and heading straight home. Looking forward to many more of these days!

The only bummer: my son-in-law forgot about the bike on the roof when pulling into the garage! The wheel has already been replaced and the rear derailleur adjusted shortly. Not enough of an oops to put a damper on the day!

Attachments

• IMG_1051.jpeg
    IMG_1051.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1057.jpeg
    IMG_1057.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1059.jpeg
    IMG_1059.jpeg
    908.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Another lap and then some at the MTB park this morning. Not as many folks out, but still a great vibe! New bike day for my son-in-law. Another refuel at BBQ joint. So much fun! The rate of skill acquisition for the new guy is pretty amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_1172.jpeg
    IMG_1172.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1176.jpeg
    IMG_1176.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1183.jpeg
    IMG_1183.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Top Bottom