What's new

B&B's I Cycle, You Cycle, Let's Exchange Stories (aka B.I.C.Y.C.L.E.S.)

So I was low key annoyed all last year that the old cycling thread was "Cycling 2018" and didn't match the actual year. I don't think it needs to be year specific so I wanted to start a new thread for all things cycling to take us into the new decade. I would love to hear your cycling stories, see your cycling gear, and support each other on our goals on the roads (or trails).

To be brief, let's keep the same theme from "Cycling 2018" but save me from having to think, "it's not 2018 anymore."

I, sadly, have not been on a ride this year but am cleaning and lubing my chain and hope to get out on a short ride tomorrow or Friday.

PS If we want to keep everything in one thread I understand and have no problem with threads being merged, but I would like to humbly request a new title for those of us afflicted with date mismatch annoyance. I am not set on this name, but it makes me giggle and was the best I could do.

We had a house guest over Christmas who is a big fan of EllipitGo bikes.

I had never seen one before.

We had a house guest over Christmas who is a big fan of EllipitGo bikes.

I had never seen one before.

I've only seen these a few times but I loathe ellipticals. Something about the motion feels incredibly unnatural to me. They look like they could be fun if you like the motion. Did you get a chance to try them?

Exciting morning at the MTB park today. Knew I would be challenging my PR there and was cooking along. Got to the expert portion of the trail and I was cruising along a ridge and got launched OTB by a pedal strike against a small rock alongside the trail that I have somehow avoided for about 20 years. It's always been there, and I've always been conscious of it as I pass, but today it flat out launched me, and I wound up about 15 feet downtrail and 10 feet down the bank, on my back. I have always wondered how a mishap there would go down. Now I know. Thankfully, I came unclipped and had a soft landing. The bike came away unscathed, too. It was below me and facing the opposite direction. Did a quick survey for injuries and damage and started off again. Finished tied for my PR!

Exciting morning at the MTB park today. Knew I would be challenging my PR there and was cooking along. Got to the expert portion of the trail and I was cruising along a ridge and got launched OTB by a pedal strike against a small rock alongside the trail that I have somehow avoided for about 20 years. It's always been there, and I've always been conscious of it as I pass, but today it flat out launched me, and I wound up about 15 feet downtrail and 10 feet down the bank, on my back. I have always wondered how a mishap there would go down. Now I know. Thankfully, I came unclipped and had a soft landing. The bike came away unscathed, too. It was below me and facing the opposite direction. Did a quick survey for injuries and damage and started off again. Finished tied for my PR!

What an eventful start to the New Year! Glad to hear you and your bike are alright. Way to crush your time for the rest of the ride though.

This year has been a very slow start for me. Surprise visits from family and busy days at work have meant I have been getting home after dark and leaving before it is light (annoying winter). Hopefully, either the lengthening days or slower time in life will get me back out riding. I have had the chance to use a spin bike, but that a sad substitute.

I am starting to itch for a ride, but our temps are below 40 for highs the next week or so. Once I get out on the bike and pedal for a mile it's okay, it's the getting out the door that is the challenge.

Wishing everyone many great rides on 2020.

I am going to try and push this thread so the old Cycling 2018 goes away. Just for grins, a picture of my bike saddled on my vehicle and ready to go for a spin...

IMG_1579.jpeg

Metric century and a little more due to a wrong turn today. Tour de Cape. You can always count on the wind punishing you in this event. This year it was for the S miles home. First time I’ve done the event, but I always ride on TDC Sunday.

I try to get in about 50 miles in a week on either my 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid or my my 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring I resurrected in 2018 and did a BB overhaul on last year. I'm 52 and mix cycling in with strength training.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

30 mile round trip for breakfast tacos and beer with a buddy of mine. I left the '76 Motobecane at home and took my 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid out for a spin. Outbound into a 20-25 NNW wind, but the return leg was an easy spin.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And in honor of the new thread with no date allocation, last week we had a day of 65 degree temps so I decided to get out on the bike for the first time in about 6 months. It was nice to take an easy pace and just get the blood flowing after doing a lot of nothing for so long. Ultimately it was a tease because it got colder and we got some snow. So I'll have to wait a bit for the weather to warm up enough for me to get back out there.

Image-1.jpg

IMG_0145.jpeg

I am fat and out of shape. I rode 10 miles yesterday and thought it would kill me.

Yep. That’s me. I’m at 225 or so and I should be at 175. You need to ride another 10 miles soon. Then another 10 miles. You’ll notice it getting easier and you going faster. Then add more miles in increments. The next thing you know you won’t be fat and out of shape anymore.

After a lazy 2019 (and beginning of this year), tomorrow begins bike commuting at least 3 days per week. It will be a good test, with rain in the forecast. At least the temp for tomorrow is supposed to be high 40's in the morning.

Also, plan to do more significant rides on most weekends. I ride road and gravel. I have a bit of a spare tire to lose.

After a lazy 2019 (and beginning of this year), tomorrow begins bike commuting at least 3 days per week. It will be a good test, with rain in the forecast. At least the temp for tomorrow is supposed to be high 40's in the morning.

Also, plan to do more significant rides on most weekends. I ride road and gravel. I have a bit of a spare tire to lose.

I stop riding from around Thanksgiving until spring. Cold here in Northeast and lots of salt on the roads.

I have some old bikes I am tuning up and making some changes to for this upcoming season. A Bridgestone 400 and miyata 710. Also have some others that need work,a Cannondale and a Raleigh super course. I was buying bikes like I buy razors for a while lol.

I stop riding from around Thanksgiving until spring. Cold here in Northeast and lots of salt on the roads.

I have some old bikes I am tuning up and making some changes to for this upcoming season. A Bridgestone 400 and miyata 710. Also have some others that need work,a Cannondale and a Raleigh super course. I was buying bikes like I buy razors for a while lol.

I don't even have a weather reason. NorCal. Rain/wind/low's that may dip in to the 30's.

I have a 2013 Specialized Roubaix for road and 2018 Specialized Sequoia for gravel/commute/riding to the pub.

Love both Motobecanes @MntnMan62 and @camjr. Also love the neon green and black Cannondale @It's Hedley. I appreciate the photos. I am sadly being super lazy this year/spending all my time working on my house and squeezing a run in whenever I can (I know it is blasphemous but I don't have to clean my running chain.) I have no weather excuse to not ride as it is pretty much always beautiful here. Maybe I can get myself out there this week and/or weekend.

Top Bottom