What's new

B & B Introduction

Hello, Badger and Blade!

My name is Robert and I only just discovered this web site recently. The quick story is that I asked a friend of mine for a recommendation on shaving cream because I wasn't too pleased with the shave that I had been getting. In fact, I haven't really ever liked to shave. I didn't have to shave regularly until my 30s and my beard is light enough that I can go about three days without looking too slovenly, so I usually did that. In any case, my friend gave me his recommendation (Musgo in a tube) and also mentioned off-the-cuff that he used a DE razor as opposed to a cartridge. I had heard about people actually enjoying shaving (which sounded nutty to me), so I thought that I would do some research. I'm the kind of guy that does research, so that alone was enjoyable. My research showed me that there was a whole hobby around shaving, and -- as a knowledge junkie -- I knew that I had to try it.

I bought a Merkur 34C about 12 days ago and have slowly been figuring it out. I've had my bobbles -- like a couple of pretty big cuts in the beginning -- but I feel like I'm getting closer to the right technique. My neck is still a problem area, and I have to be careful there (ATG is tough on the skin...need more practice). Nonetheless, I have to say that I actually do enjoy what I'm doing. I used to hate shaving -- I mean really hate it. Now I actually look forward to the morning shave. I like the morning shave so much that I even do it every day. That's a surprise to my wife, albeit a pleasant one. I do see the pleasure behind the hobby: new soaps and aftershaves, trying new blades, checking out the community. It's actually fun. I'm shocked.

Well, I said that this was going to be a quick story and I seem to have failed in that regard. Nonetheless, I'm hoping to interact with some of you as I learn more about this hobby. I even saw that B&B has a fountain pen forum, and I've been an avid Lamy 2000 user for about 5 years, so there's something else that I can discuss. Hopefully, I can learn and help at the same time. This does seem like a neat place.

Kind Regards to All --
Robert

Welcome to the B & B forum Robert! Lots of shavers here with years of experience they are willing to share. I know you will enjoy the free exchange of information!

Practice makes perfect. That's why we practice. I shave every day, even weekends. Not just to practice but because I enjoy it now!

Hello, Badger and Blade!

My name is Robert and I only just discovered this web site recently. The quick story is that I asked a friend of mine for a recommendation on shaving cream because I wasn't too pleased with the shave that I had been getting. In fact, I haven't really ever liked to shave. I didn't have to shave regularly until my 30s and my beard is light enough that I can go about three days without looking too slovenly, so I usually did that. In any case, my friend gave me his recommendation (Musgo in a tube) and also mentioned off-the-cuff that he used a DE razor as opposed to a cartridge. I had heard about people actually enjoying shaving (which sounded nutty to me), so I thought that I would do some research. I'm the kind of guy that does research, so that alone was enjoyable. My research showed me that there was a whole hobby around shaving, and -- as a knowledge junkie -- I knew that I had to try it.

I bought a Merkur 34C about 12 days ago and have slowly been figuring it out. I've had my bobbles -- like a couple of pretty big cuts in the beginning -- but I feel like I'm getting closer to the right technique. My neck is still a problem area, and I have to be careful there (ATG is tough on the skin...need more practice). Nonetheless, I have to say that I actually do enjoy what I'm doing. I used to hate shaving -- I mean really hate it. Now I actually look forward to the morning shave. I like the morning shave so much that I even do it every day. That's a surprise to my wife, albeit a pleasant one. I do see the pleasure behind the hobby: new soaps and aftershaves, trying new blades, checking out the community. It's actually fun. I'm shocked.

Well, I said that this was going to be a quick story and I seem to have failed in that regard. Nonetheless, I'm hoping to interact with some of you as I learn more about this hobby. I even saw that B&B has a fountain pen forum, and I've been an avid Lamy 2000 user for about 5 years, so there's something else that I can discuss. Hopefully, I can learn and help at the same time. This does seem like a neat place.

Kind Regards to All --
Robert

We love long stories just as long as they are shave relevant, and yours is certainly that.

Judging by your well written introduction, you're going to fit right in. Welcome! All ya need now is some Lilac Vegetal and Williams.... :laugh:

Judging by your well written introduction, you're going to fit right in. Welcome! All ya need now is some Lilac Vegetal and Williams.... :laugh:

Thank you, Columbus -- I'm using Em's Shave Place pre-shave oil, soap, and aftershave balm at the moment. I've used Williams in the past (like 10 or more years ago) and I'll agree that it's not the best. I haven't tried Lilac Vegetal, but I'll bet after your awesome recommendation, I'd find it was just as good!

One nice thing that I can say is that today was actually a pretty good shave. My skin feels great. I made a pretty conscious effort not to use pressure on the razor. Things went swimmingly until I was doing ATG on my upper lip. That got a little bit of irritation. But my neck? Doing great! I'm glad that I found wet shaving.

Robert

Hello and welcome to B&B, Robert. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

Top Bottom