What's new

B&B Brush Review/Comparo - Silvertip VS Finest Silvertip....

Hi Joel,

To judge from your 'palm swipe' photos, the Finest sivertip seems to have produced a 'wetter' lather with larger bubbles than the Standard silvertip. This would make sense if the bristles in the Finest brush hold more water than the Standard silvertip.

Is this how it works out in practice?

A wetter lather is usually less dense, 'frothier', less durable and possibly harder to distribute on the face than a stiffer lather. But it may do a better job in wetting/softening the beard.

Any further impressions from comparative use of the two brushes?

:lol:

Seriously... there isn't much of a difference in the kind of lather they make.... hell for that matter - I don't think there is all that much of a difference in lather between any of my 40+ brushes... I think nearly EVERY brush can produce superlative lather with someone skilled at the (wheel?).

I wouldn't draw too much conclusion based on what the lather looks like... I'd pay more attention to the feeling of the brush. If you want a firmer feel... go with the standard - if you don't care either way, or prefer a springier brush - go with the finest :smile:

Now I am having second thought again. I was almost certain I was going to go with the standard in ebony.
But then I pictured the scenario where I will be reading, a couple of months from now, here on B&B how everybody is raving about the finest! And then I will have missed a once in a lifetime opportunity... So I am back at square one - I have to get both! :laugh:

Well, I can only get 1 brush. I know. I would like to have both but just cannot :frown:

After reading the "review", I got a slight impression that the finest is best saved for special instances but the standard better for everyday use. Is this the case? I'm leaning towards getting the finest and still using it everyday.

I do keep flip/flopping with the choices. Any advice?

Well, I can only get 1 brush. I know. I would like to have both but just cannot :frown:

After reading the "review", I got a slight impression that the finest is best saved for special instances but the standard better for everyday use. Is this the case? I'm leaning towards getting the finest and still using it everyday.

I think Joel was just trying to help us understand the slight differences between the two. I think you can choose any of the options and be extrememly happy with your purchase. The Finest would work very well day to day...you saw how it stood up to the punishment. A regular brush would never see that type of treatment and look how it handled it.

If you ask for advice around here, I will guaranty that you will hear to buy both. One in Silvertip and one in Finest...one with the Ebony and one with the Horn. Thats what I will do...

I think Joel was just trying to help us understand the slight differences between the two. I think you can choose any of the options and be extrememly happy with your purchase. The Finest would work very well day to day...you saw how it stood up to the punishment. A regular brush would never see that type of treatment and look how it handled it.

If you ask for advice around here, I will guaranty that you will hear to buy both. One in Silvertip and one in Finest...one with the Ebony and one with the Horn. Thats what I will do...

That's pretty much the story.... everyone has different opinions, experiences, wants, needs, etc.... so I can't help you more than what has been said throughout this, and other threads.

The standard silvertip is a little stiffer (albeit still soft/luxurious - certainly no scrub monster - it's all class and luxury) but the finest is well... like no other brush I have used. Really a "different" feel to it, and although the knot isn't that big, it is dense, and acts like a REALLY big brush... yet it is easy to control.

Honestly... I cannot say one is superior to the other... they are both just different, and if you choose one by the flip of a coin, you still cannot go wrong. '

PERSONALLY I would reach for the silvertip more than the finest, as the finest I would reserve for special occasions... but that is only me... every other person on the forum may find the opposite!

The only thing I can say decisively since I have seen, held, felt, and beaten the $%$%$ outta them is that I have never experienced a shaving brush accept such blatant abuse in stride, it is incredibly comfortable, WAY better looking in person (which is saying a lot as it looks damn good in pics), has a wonderful feel/heft to it (it doesn't feel cheap/light like most other brushes, although it isn't overly heavy either), both version excel and ware highly effective with all forms of soaps/creams I tested them with, and they are limited edition, one of a kind brushes, at a superlative price.

As far as the feel, stiffness, better or worse, etc.... I can't help you other than my personal experiences, which I have shared here. I can't tell others what THEY will like... only what I personally like/feel/experience.

I know all of the options are good looking.... and I know when you guys see the razors... it will make it even worse, but rest assured, for the price paid, WHICHEVER brush you purchase, it is a borderline steal - and is truly a magnificent, exceptionally built masterpiece that performs as good as it looks, and is something you will be proud to display in its glory, on your bathroom counter.

:smile:

I totally understand the only being able to get one thing. Nobody can really tell you which is better. But here's my (not having used them) take. First, understand that about the Finest Joel was only saying that for HIM it would be a special occasion brush. There is no reason, though, why it would not be just as good as the other as your everyday, or even your only brush. It just boils down to what you like in a brush.

Think about the brush(es) you have. What do you like/dislike about it(them)? If you have a Vulfix super or silvertip, and it drives you crazy that it is so lacking in backbone (some say floppy) then you might go for the slightly stiffer silvertip. (Keep in mind though, that either of these will be WAY denser than any Vulfix, which will make it feel less floppy). If you really really value super duper uber softness, go with the finest. As far a performance, either one is sure to be excellent, so really, go based on what sounds more appealing for face feel to you. Very soft and slightly firmer, or softest thing on the planet, and slightly less firm.

-Mo

One thing I forgot to mention... these brushes (especially the finest) provide a lot of "suction" against your face when lathering, and do a hell of a job at lifting hair, and getting lather under it. When yours arrives, try lathering one half of your face with one of these brushes, the the other half with XYZ brush, shave one N/S and feel both sides.

I think you will be pleased. :smile:

This is my current brush which I have used on and off for 25-30 years.
View attachment 4204

This is my new SMFIII Brush with my old one
View attachment 4205

And one other image
View attachment 4206

My question is, as I am also without hesitation ordering the B&B brush, I am not sure whether the silvertip or finest will suit me more? As you can see by the photos, there is quite the difference in size between old and new. I must admit to not being used to having this much brush in my face at the moment, and am having to learn how to re navigate the old moosh.

I'm assuming that the B&B brush will be somewhat similar in size and I may have similar handling problems. Will it make any difference if I go for finest while I'm still in this steep learning curve of using a new brush.

Having never owned any brush of any class whatsoever, I figured both the B&B and the SMF brushes for me were essential parts of my ever increasing inventory, for the betterment and enjoyment of this obsessive thing we call shaving. :biggrin:

John

Bump

I hope someone answers.

John

All of the answers we could provide you with are within the thread in text/pictures. Unfortunately not having used/seen or knowing much about a SMF 2007 brush, I have no idea what to tell you.

Johnmw1;

I have used the SMF brush and it is a really good brush, comparable to the Simpson's Polo 8. That probably doesn't mean anything to you if you haven't used a Simpson's, but the SMF is a much bigger brush than what you are using and will take some getting used to. It certainly is not as big as some, but I don't think it is so big as to be unmanageable; I think the term would be luxurious. It is not floppy and has enough stiffness to the bristles to keep its shape, but is not scratchy at all. It is not as firm as a boar brush or pure badger brush either. All in all, an excellent brush from an excellent company. I have ordered the B&B brush in Finest Badger, and I expect the size and performance are going to be very similar. It is very difficult to compare bristles between companies, because they all have their own definitions, but you have to determine the size you want to work with.

Good luck,

BobS

Bump

I hope someone answers.

John

Not sure how to answer you either, that thing sure does look big (loft is quite lengthy)....but I haven't used one. And, I have no intention of buying one.

What I can say is that I feel as though the B&B brushes (both the limited edition silvertip and the rare finest) are of the highest quality, best available brushes on the planet currently available (for the best price)....and that's why I bought 2, one of each badger grade.

Well, let me try to get some facts: I think the SMF is Rooney Super Med size. This is 24mm knot, and it looks the SMF has about 60 loft. B&B is listed at 23, with 60 loft. However, it's overpacked.

Now, from here I'd venture a guess how they differ / are similar. I have had Rooney Super Med and it was very luxurious, a tad less backbone than I wanted but still a 10 /10 performer and very soft on the face. I am getting the B&B Finest and I expect it will have more backbone because of the density / overpack, will be at least as luxurious, and we've seen it makes wonders with the hard soaps. B&B is unbleached, unlike just about any brush I know of (excluding Shavemac, as I have heard guarantees that it's also unbleached). Rooney probably is bleached.

I would also venture that they are going to be different, as Joel has said that Rooney brushes do not do that much for him, but he likes the B&B Finest. Joel also says the Finest is unlike any other brush, and he has tried many. So there you go.

I hope this helps but please don't rely too much on this personal opinion.

AND WOW - on the old brush! When I first saw this i was like "nah, this can't be for real"

Cheers
Ivo

FWIW, i copied and pasted my first impressions of my SMF III from SMF.com:

"....The badger type doesn't differ from the badger type in the two Rooney supers i have: it's a thin/fine and flexible type of badger bristle, identical to Rooney super.
The loft is rather flexible and not very densely filled.
To be honest i was a little disappointed because i had hoped to encounter a different badger type in the Rooney stable, in between super and finest; but maybe i was a little naive...

This said, it's nevertheless a good value for price brush, no doubt about this. It will perform very well i think, with reference to my other Rooney supers.

Regarding this impression don't forget i'm a very, very spoiled shaving brush stockpiler with a preference for densely filled, firm badger lofts with a lot of springyness and resiliency in it. ....."

Peter

FWIW, i copied and pasted my first impressions of my SMF III from SMF.com:

"....The badger type doesn't differ from the badger type in the two Rooney supers i have: it's a thin/fine and flexible type of badger bristle, identical to Rooney super.
The loft is rather flexible and not very densely filled.
To be honest i was a little disappointed because i had hoped to encounter a different badger type in the Rooney stable, in between super and finest; but maybe i was a little naive...

This said, it's nevertheless a good value for price brush, no doubt about this. It will perform very well i think, with reference to my other Rooney supers.

Regarding this impression don't forget i'm a very, very spoiled shaving brush stockpiler with a preference for densely filled, firm badger lofts with a lot of springyness and resiliency in it. ....."

Peter

And the next question, are you getting a B&B brush, and if so, which? :biggrin:

My preferences fall pretty close to yours, though my collection size (4) does not.

J

And the next question, are you getting a B&B brush, and if so, which? :biggrin:

My preferences fall pretty close to yours, though my collection size (4) does not.

J

This is of course THE most redundant question of this year up until now..:biggrin:

Finest silverip faux horn....

Peter

This is of course THE most redundant question of this year up until now..:biggrin:

Finest silverip faux horn....

Peter

Just a trivial question..

Peter do you change your brush count in your signature when you receive the brush or when you order the brush?

AND

BTW which brush are you ordering?

As mentioned: finest silver tip faux horn....

Number changing AFTER i got hold of the brush in my very hands....:wink:

Peter

BTW: this B&B is really a magnificent looking specimen; stunning beautiful design imho; perfect example of form follows function, but sensual altogether:001_wub: ; i'm convinced i'm gonna lov'it all the way, despite my extreme state of being spoiled with the posession of 108 brushes...

But i have to order it yet/still........

I am getting the B&B Finest and I expect it will have more backbone because of the density / overpack, will be at least as luxurious, and we've seen it makes wonders with the hard soaps. B&B is unbleached, unlike just about any brush I know of (excluding Shavemac, as I have heard guarantees that it's also unbleached). Rooney probably is bleached.

Ivo

Honestly - the hair is so soft, I don't care how much you pack it, it isn't going to have a "backbone" if you will, in that it will never be stiff. Now... it is a far, FAR cry from a mop, but it sure isn't at all a Simpson Chubby, a HMW, or a Pre 2005 shavemac. PERSONALLY, I think this is a good thing, as if you want stiff - buy a $35 C&E best badger and save a lot of $. Stiff = easy to do and typically is a cheaper badger.

As stated, the B&B brush is quite dense... however it is remarkably soft. If you want more "backbone" the standard silvertip is a better option than the finest, but they are both quite dense, not at all mopish, and are total luxury/pamper.

Personally, I don't think this'll be DrP's favorite brush, as he tends to like quite stiff, incredibly robust brushes (IE Pre 2005 Shavemac - which are superb). Simply put... the finest is really a lot of incredibly soft, decadent hair and even in the finest guise, will have about as much backbone as a Savile Row, or a Shavmac, however - with the finest it is so soft - it really acts like a monster of a brush..... so maybe drP will love it :wink:

In any configuration - the B&B brush is a lot 'o badger and shouldn't disappoint.

Top Bottom