What's new

Auto Strops

Has anyone any comments on using an auto strop razor ? I saw a few nice ones, actually complete sets that looked like they were in really good shape. What I am asking if they are even worth buying or not.

In good condition they are an amusing razor to have in one's collection: I have three different types, one of which will take the despined Gem while another the Feather blade only. Shaving performance is satisfactory although blade longevity is poor in my hands, particularly the Feather blade. So an interesting razor but not normally in regular use IMHO.

Mine are in regular use, perhaps four times per week. I get my best shaves with them. I get as many good shaves from a Feather as I do from a carbon steel Gem type blade, so YMMV.

There are plenty of threads on the forum about the Auto Strops, containing a lot of opinions. I feel people don't give them enough of a chance.

P.S. I have lots of them in my collection. Lots of them. Yes, I'm a fanboy.

P.P.S. If you decide not to get the complete sets, let me know where they are :lol:.

Mine are in regular use, perhaps four times per week. I get my best shaves with them. I get as many good shaves from a Feather as I do from a carbon steel Gem type blade, so YMMV.

There are plenty of threads on the forum about the Auto Strops, containing a lot of opinions. I feel people don't give them enough of a chance.

P.S. I have lots of them in my collection. Lots of them. Yes, I'm a fanboy.

P.P.S. If you decide not to get the complete sets, let me know where they are :lol:.

What do you pay for the complete sets, I see them from time to time around here., just saw one tonight.

Here in the UK they are up to £20 but often considerably less. I paid about £20 for a mint condition Valet autostrop in a collectables shop. Maybe a bit much but the shop guy has to make a living and if you build up a relationship with owners they have contacts and opportunities to pick up razors that the normal individual (are we normal??) doesn't have.

Top Bottom