Aftershave: Australian Private Reserve Lightning Ridge
Brush: Wild West Brushworks "Leonardo"
Razor: Schick Injector
Blade: Schick Injector

Scent profile:

Top Notes: Lime, Guava, Bergamot, White Grapefruit & Petrichor

Heart Notes: Ozone, Green Pear, Star Anise & Lily

Base Notes: Musk & Patchouli

This scent is very nice, it reminds me of Zoologist Panda but has a few notes that create a less "green" scent. The top notes are blended beautifully and the heart notes cradle them well while making some room at the end for the base. I'm not a huge fan of the star anise scent but it's subtle enough that it fits nicely into this accord. I love the juxtaposition of the citrus and petrichor in the top notes, a great combination that really creates a unique experience. I'm glad I chose Lightning Ridge as it paired perfectly with the emerging spring day we are having. Just delightful.

I bloomed this soap for about ten minutes while I prepped and wrenched my eyes open. The lather exploded and forced me to halt the loading after around twenty seconds. I haven't seen this type of explosion since I bloomed The Holy Black The Tell-Tale Heart, just awesome. The lather was rich, dense, and substantial, just a wonderful consistency that immediately hinted to me that this was going to be a great shave. The slickness and protection was ample and impressive, and the post-shave feel was very, very good. It definitely scored high points in all three areas of criteria for a great soap. Very happy with APR's performance.

The aftershave had a little stronger anise scent but it really is blended so well that I actually like it, the other notes complement it nicely and I found myself searching for whiffs throughout the morning, the wife approves as well. This splash went on very nicely and has a silky smooth feel to it, indicating that it consists of some great skin food and augmenting the post-shave from the soap well. It lists menthol as an ingredient but I didn't get the usual sensation that comes with it. I was very happy with this splash and would put it in the top tier of splashes out there. Just wonderful.

"Leonardo" assisted in a wonderful explosion and the perfect execution of the lather. This is just a great brush. Love these synthetics.

I finally got around to soaking the Injector in Barbicide months after finding it antiquing for $5. I've heard many great things about these razors and was excited to give it a shot. It performed well but did not compare to my Sabre or GEM's. It will get a few more starts before a decision is made on its fate.

A superb shave to start the day.

Cheers,
Sean.

Top Bottom