What's new

ATT Windsor R1: First Shave Assessment

ATT Windsor R1: First Shave Assessment.

Hi all, I just had my first shave with the ATT R1 Windsor. (I have all the regular heads from ATT that are non slant (sold both slants a while ago). That includes M1,M2, R1, R2, H1, H2, SE1 and SE2. My top 3 are the R1, SE2 and R2.

Looks: After being used to all ATTs, this is even better looking with its incredible polished look. I definitely prefer the polished look and wished all my ATTs had this finish.

Windsor Comparison with the regular R1: Right off the bat I felt the Windsor needed a different shave angle than my R1 (the angle on the R1 is second nature to me at this point), probably had to use a little bit more flat of an angle with the Windsor. Feel wise, it seems one of the 2: Either the Windsor is milder than the regular R1, or head geometry provides a smoother shave by itself. I could not feel as much as the blade, as I do with the regular R1. The feel is much much closer to a DE89 or M1 or M2. I will need more shaves to confirm this, but thats how I see it right now. Also, the razor does provide less blade chatter than most DE razors, and its probably between a Single Edge Razor and a DE, blade chatter wise, which I LOVE.

Shave Results. Even on my first go with the ATT Windsor, it provided a very close shave (almost certain it was BBS), no irritation at all, But I have lots of experience with ATT, so that might had come into play with this.

I will say this, if after 10-15 shaves, I can get the same results with the Windsor, as I do with my R1 or R2, it will probably make the regular R's obsolete, since it would mean it will give the same quality of a shave, with around 50% increase in smoothness.

I will do a final review in a month or so, after using it extensively. Would love to hear your opinions on the Windsor as well!

Glad to see a review. I am so surprised that there is so little info on these razors. Love the look of the copper. Been eyeing it up since introduced. Just don’t know which plate I would like.

I am also a huge ATT fan and have the R1,M1,S1,S2 plates. The Windsor copper looks like gold eye candy to me and I had to get one. I'm getting incredible shaves with it and it's definitely in my top 5.

Can anyone compare which windsor baseplate to use if I like Timeless .95, Charcoal Goods lvl 3 or my new fav the SS paradigm?

I loved the shave with the Windsor R1. However, one small issue with the handle. I felt that the razor wanted to screw out of my hand while I was using it. I think with a UFO handle matched to the R1 head it would be a top performer.

My ATT S1 (v1) is my smoothest DE razor ever. My S2 is more aggressive but still enjoyable and effective. I’ve been waiting for a Windsor slant head—ideally both SB and OC baseplates.

I had the same twisting problem as Wilga with the barber pole grooves on the ATT Atlas handle. The Kronos handle avoids this problem with symmetrical knurling. Grip with this handle is not an issue at all.

The Windsor is a gorgeous looking razor, but a bit aggressive for me with the H-plate (for daily use). Used with a variety of blades with the same result. Great in-hand and on-face feel tho. Just gotta watch it...especially under the nose.

Ordering an M-plate with a stand, that'll hopefully take it to daily use status. We'll see.

The Windsor copper is on my mind occasionally too ;)

Have you considered the R1? Just curious.

I've been using it in the non-Windsor version for about 9 mos. every day, and I wouldn't consider it harsh in any way.

Have you considered the R1? Just curious.

I've been using it in the non-Windsor version for about 9 mos. every day, and I wouldn't consider it harsh in any way.

Thanks.

Oops. I have the R-plate, and I think I typo'd myself an "H" one.

Yes, in my case, I find the R a tad rough, especially as I like buffing with a great soap (think da Fat).

A 0.25 plate, like the "M", ought to do the trick for any daily periods I'm after.

I am looking forward to the end of the month report/review of the Windsor.
I tried the SSR1 and it was too mild for my tastes.
I upped the game to the SSH1 and still cannot get as close of a shave as with the regular R1.
I have tried multiple blades, handles, and switched up prep too no avail.

Another thread claims that "a poor workman blames his tools."
I can shave fine with the R1, R2 and the Blackbird so I cannot be that poor of a workman.
I must be doing something wrong. I really want to like the razor head.
Hopefully a more in depth review will give me clues as to my errors.

I’ve had an ATT Atlas R1 for about 2 years now. It’s only my 3rd DE Razor. The one before being a Merkur 34C.

I originally bought the H1 but I found it a bit aggressive but now I’m considering trying it again. If I do buy I will get the polished steel Windsor version.

I can’t fault the razor at all. Superbly made, great looking and well balanced.

With regard to the Atlas handle, I prefer the shorter handles and I’ve never had a problem with it “twisting” on me, I find the grip is excellent.

Top Bottom