What's new

Atg

As the heading suggests I am having a problems ATG. Not really problems but more that I don't know what do do. I can currently get a two pass WTG CCS/DFS with BBS in patches. I am happy bearing in mind that I feel while learning I may have dulled the edge but would like to start getting BBS. Anyway, I shave with both hands, i.e. right hand right cheek, left hand left cheek. This is the usual way isn't it? ATG which hands should I use for which cheek? Should I shave towards my lips or towards my ear (in/out)? Also what do you think about blade angle - I heard somewhere it should be less than the WTG pass.

Thanks in advance for the help

...makes shaving motion at desk...

I use my right hand on my left side and left hand on my right side when doing ATG.

Try to keep the blade almost flat when doing your ATG. It is easy to really open it up and get aggressive. Especially when hitting the contours of the chin.

The direction you shave depends on the direction of your hair growth, if I am interpreting your question correct.

I use my right hand on my left side and left hand on my right side when doing ATG.
Same here. But here's a trick I've found. In lieu of an ATG pass, I've found that one WTG followed by two XTG passes in opposing directions is all it takes for me to get a BBS shave. Might want to give that a try and see how it works for you.

Same here. But here's a trick I've found. In lieu of an ATG pass, I've found that one WTG followed by two XTG passes in opposing directions is all it takes for me to get a BBS shave. Might want to give that a try and see how it works for you.

+1

If I do ATG which is super rare, the edge has to be perfect, otherwise my face doesn't like it all that much. It sadly still likes it better ATG with a straight than it used to with a DE, though.

How do you do this on your neckline? The "nose" would have to face your neck at some point. I don't know how to do this without cutting myself.

I found a way to do a complete East to West pass on my neck that works really well... Problem is I can't verbalize it, and it looks too ridiculous to post pictures of :lol:

I found a way to do a complete East to West pass on my neck that works really well... Problem is I can't verbalize it, and it looks too ridiculous to post pictures of :lol:

If you would be so kind as to send pics via email, I'd be greatly appreciative. I promise I won't laugh... much... haha! :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Hi Deuser, i just started working through that problem a couple of weeks ago, and as far as i can tell you are correct about the angle. for me i started with the blade flat against my skin and just barely lifted the spine and things started working. the biggest barrier for me seemed to be that going ATG the razor would snag up on a hair and it would feel like it was cutting in to the skin but in reality it was just my being too tentative and after taking baby steps i was able to put a more aggressive and fluid stroke on it and as they say the rest is history. the good new is that i am now able to go ATG without any real irritation. it still amazes me how much i have to learn but i really am finding it so satisfying when i have those AHA! moments and can move on to the next problem. i dont think i can help you with the hands as i use what ever feels comfortable for the angle i am looking for and that seems to be changing daily as i learn more. but i definitely use both hand and IMHO just go with what works and that is the correct way to do it. Good luck and keep enjoying the new discipline.
Ian

Hey, you can't tease us like that ;) Can you show us in diagrams - or with a sock puppet??

BTW, I've got one of those 100mpg carburetors in my shed, but there's a spider in there and it's icky! :lol:

Cheers,
Ian

+1 this is my normal procedure. The only exception may be a quick ATG on the sideburns.

Top Bottom